Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bmaltz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2004, 06:51 AM
    Unknown download from internet
    I left my PC on last night to run a viruscan. When I checked it this morning I had no viruses but I noticed that something was downloading data onto my PC from the internet. I determined this by checking a program I have called DU Meter which monitors the flow of network traffic across my ethernet connection. Other than Norton Antivirus, no other programs were running and as far as I could tell there were no programs running that would be downloading data from the net.

My question is, how can I determine what was causing this data transmission across my internet connection?

Thanks,
    Ben
    Darth_Tanion Posts: 105, Reputation: 7

Oct 15, 2004, 11:57 PM
    Well if Norton Antivirus was running it was possibly doing a live update. To find out which program is doing something you could press ctrl + alt + del and bring up the task manager. Firstly, look at which process has the highest memory and cpu usage. For example, I saw a computer once that had the process worm.exe using up the memory... this was a pretty big give away. If nothing sets off any alarm bells then you can try shutting down programs that are running until shutting down one of them eventually stops the data flow. If this still doesn't work then you can shut down processes that are still running using the end process button in your task manager. Please note that this has a tendency to make you computer unstable and will most probably crash eventually so don't do this while you have anything unsaved or important running. In fact if you can avoid doing this completely I would.

Alternately you can download a packet sniffer and take a look at the data being transferred across your network. You may be able to decipher which program is sending the most packets from there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unknown Movie, Please Help! [ 1 Answers ]

When I was little I saw a movie that I can't remember the title to or any the actors that were in it. For some reason I can't get this movie out of my head and I'm desperately searching for the title. I saw this movie in the mid 80's but I'm not exactly sure when it was made. The movie starts about...

Unknown [ 3 Answers ]

:( :confused: See I'm with my boyfriend now and I do not trust him but I do not trust myself at that.. I got some problems that I do not know how to deal with nor fix them.. It's driving me crazy... I need to get rid of these problems so that I don't start anymore arguments with my boyfriend and...

How can I download program from internet? [ 2 Answers ]

when I try to download anything from the net I get this message(your current security settings prohibit running active x),please what can I do? thanks a lot

Uncommanded internet download [ 2 Answers ]

I left my PC on last night to run a viruscan. When I checked it this morning I had no viruses but I noticed that something was downloading data onto my PC from the internet. I determined this by checking a program I have called DU Meter which monitors the flow of network traffic across my...

Unknown Virus [ 2 Answers ]

My notebook has strarted to slow down since a few months ago. I have Norton Antivirus which is updated weekly. But I think my notebook is infected with virus cause it shuts down and restarts without any message and it occurs rarely. When it shuts down I could see English sentences on the blue...

View more questions Search