Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    femmknight Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2007, 09:39 PM
    Written off Debt
    Hi,
    My Parntner had a loan and it was written off. Today she just got a letter from a company stating they bought her debt and she owes the money. What I was wondering what are the statue of limitations in Ontario,Canada , and should she even talk to these people?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2007, 03:48 AM
    Tell them to put it in writing, never speak to them on the phone.
    femmknight Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2007, 11:04 AM
    Thank you,
    I did more research on the web and they said never admit to owing the debt because once you do the statute of limitations will be over and the debt will be renewed. Also, this certain creditor bought her debt from another so the experts said never pay the full price if you aren't within your statute of limitations cause these creditors who buy your debt from another creditor pay pennies on the dollar . Tell them you'll pay 25% and they still will make a profit. That is only for these companies whom have bought your debt after the original has signed off on you. Just for people to know.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 28, 2007, 11:45 AM
    First, there is a misconception that a written off debt removes the obligation to pay. A debt is a contract. Someone loans you money and you promise to pay it back. Nothing removes that promise except repayment of the debt.

A write off is simply a tax move where the creditor takes a loss against income to reduce tax liability. If the Statute of Limitations expires it does not remove the debt only the creditor's ability to take the debtor to court.

Canada's SOLs are fairly short, but any acknolwedgement of the debt restarts the SOL. So yes, one should never admit to the debt. But that makes negotiating a settlement kind of hard.

Its also true that companies buy debt for pennies on the dollar so most of what they recover is gravy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

Can you see a statement that is written against you? [ 2 Answers ]

Does my son have the right to read the statement written that got him charged with a crime?Can anyone just call clerk of courts and find out info about someone's charges?

Checks written [ 2 Answers ]

Checks written for payment of services (utilitites, lawn service, etc) are normally recorded in what journal.

Have I got idiot written on my forehead? [ 13 Answers ]

I am a 25yr old female. Recently went on a (rare) date with a guy. Went really well. Had quite a lot in common with him. He said we could go out again. Since, he just makes working late an excuse. Haven't heard from him in a week. Then at weekend, was happy as met a different guy, who gave...

View more questions Search