Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JaiJaiW Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2005, 09:11 PM
    New whirlpool tub in basement
    My husband and I are attempting our first DIY remodeling project... adding a bathroom in the basement. The drains are all roughed in and we have gotten most of the supply lines in.

My question is... we put in the stringers for the new whirlpool tub and did a "test fit". The drain in the tub does not match up with the drain in the floor that we discovered under the slab. :confused: The one in the floor appears too close to the roughed in wall. It looked to be 1.5 or 2 inch pipe going straight down. However we did not chip out all of the concrete around it yet, there may be more below than I can see now.

Now what?? Do we have to move the floor drain somehow?? Is there some sort of flexible pipe that we can use??

Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated!!

Jaimie
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 23, 2005, 06:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JaiJaiW
    My husband and I are attempting our first DIY remodeling project...adding a bathroom in the basement. The drains are all roughed in and we have gotten most of the supply lines in.

My question is....we put in the stringers for the new whirlpool tub and did a "test fit". The drain in the tub does not match up with the drain in the floor that we discovered under the slab. :confused: The one in the floor appears too close to the roughed in wall. It looked to be 1.5 or 2 inch pipe going straight down. However we did not chip out all of the concrete around it yet, there may be more below than I can see now.

Now what??? Do we have to move the floor drain somehow??? Is there some sort of flexible pipe that we can use???

Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated!!!

Jaimie
    Good morning Jaimie,

The tub rough in was for a standard tub and not for a whirlpool. The contractor should have left a open "dap out" hole for the tub connection instead of cementing it closed. You have no choice but to take the cement up and move the trap and stubup into position to pick up the whirlpool drain. Some rough at 18", some at 24" depending of the tub of your choice, check the specifications and instructions that came with the tub.
    In the meantime click on this link on instructions and tips on installing a whirlpool tub. http://www.blackanddecker.com/Projec...430_16478.html
    Good luck, Tom

Jun 25, 2005, 10:58 AM
    Ahhh this is making more sense now! Thanks so much for your quick reply!

One other quick question, our tub requires a bed of mortar underneath for support. We purchased a standard 50 lb bag of tile mortar (tub manufacturers suggestion)... how large of a "pile" are we looking at putting the tub onto? There is a pretty large distance between the bottom of the tub and the slab so we plan to place a 3/4" piece of plywood on slab before the mortar. This will leave a 1-2 inch space to fill in. Just trying to get an idea if the one bag is enough... our closest Home Depot is 50 miles away, I'd hate to get started and not have enough!

Thanks again!
    Jaimie
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 25, 2005, 12:29 PM
    Ahhh this is making more sense now! Thanks so much for your quick reply!

One other quick question, our tub requires a bed of mortar underneath for support. We purchased a standard 50 lb bag of tile mortar (tub manufacturers suggestion)....how large of a "pile" are we looking at putting the tub onto? There is a pretty large distance between the bottom of the tub and the slab so we plan to place a 3/4" piece of plywood on slab before the mortar. This will leave a 1-2 inch space to fill in. Just trying to get an idea if the one bag is enough...our closest Home Depot is 50 miles away, I'd hate to get started and not have enough!

Thanks again!
    Jaimie

Hi Jamie,

If all you have to fill in is a few inches a 50# bag ought to do the trick. Just "puddle" the mortar up and then "squoosh" the tub down on top of it. And then let it set up before doing anything else. Did you check out the tips section of the link as well as the instructions. Cheers, Tom
    jnissen Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2005, 09:44 AM
    Don't use the plywood spacer as if it gets wet over time it will rot and your tub will loose it's solid footing. Lots of inspectors from what I have seen will not pass a setup if the installer used wood shims or any material that can potentially rot away.

Use the tile set mortar and mix it up a bit thick. Use a half inch drill with a paddle to help mix it. Add the thin set to the water and not the other way around! Did you completely water proof the tub surround and decking around the tub? If you placed it on top of a plywood platform you need to waterproof the decking prior to tile if going that route. See the John Bridge Forums for all the details on that. A tile setters dream come true!

Jun 29, 2005, 10:38 AM
    Hmmm, the 3/4 inch plywood idea came direct from the tub manufacturer. At one end of the tub we will need over 3 inches of mortar to hit the bottom of the tub, that is why they suggested the plywood. Is there something I can do for waterproofing the plywood or some other material to use?

This is a tub only, no shower involved so we have no plans for a surround or any tile for now.

Jaimie
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 29, 2005, 03:47 PM
    Hmmm, the 3/4 inch plywood idea came direct from the tub manufacturer. At one end of the tub we will need over 3 inches of mortar to hit the bottom of the tub, that is why they suggested the plywood. Is there something I can do for waterproofing the plywood or some other material to use?

This is a tub only, no shower involved so we have no plans for a surround or any tile for now.

Jaimie
    Hey Jamie,

If you're worried about the plywood then cover it with heavy plastic sheeting.
    Since most of our sub floors down here are plywood I guess we can expect to see out tubs come crashing down through the floor in the future. Cheers, Tom

Jul 1, 2005, 09:43 AM
    Installation Today!
    Ok we are getting ready to put the tub in today. I just have one more question on the drain. The drain in the floor goes straight down. Will the overflow assembly on the tub attach directly to the drain pipe in the floor or do we need some sort of trap? (this is on a basement slab)

Thanks again!

Jaimie

EDIT: Ok, I just discovered on Home Depot's website that the trap should be under the slab...
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 1, 2005, 10:55 AM
    Ok we are getting ready to put the tub in today. I just have one more question on the drain. The drain in the floor goes straight down. Will the overflow assembly on the tub attach directly to the drain pipe in the floor or do we need some sort of trap? (this is on a basement slab)

Thanks again!

Jaimie

EDIT: Ok, I just discovered on Home Depot's website that the trap should be under the slab.....

Home Depot was correct. The "drain pipe" that you see sticking up is the trap raiser. ALL fixtures that have the drainage connected has to be trapped. Cheers, Tom

Jul 2, 2005, 10:03 PM
    A snag in the tub install...
    Well we got the mortar mixed up and poured, a layer of plastic on top of the mortar, the tub set in place on the stringers and all the drain pipes attached (what a chore that was!! )... we are now letting the mortar set. BUT, from a quick peek under the tub, it looks like there isn't enough mortar there to fill all the space between the 3/4 inch plywood we put down and the bottom of the tub. The manufacturer instruction book shows a "bed" of mortar up the sides a little way.

We won't be able to tell if we have any gaps until the mortar sets... any suggestions for filling in any remaining spaces without having to pull up the tub and start over again?? (We used a full 50 pound bag)

Thanks,
    Jaimie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whirlpool washer [ 8 Answers ]

I just purchased a motor coupling for my washer but do not know how to install it can someone please tell me how to. Thank you.:

Installing whirlpool tub [ 1 Answers ]

Howdy, In my ongoing saga of our remodel from Hell, I realized that they (my wife and the Depot Designer) used the wrong dimensions for the whirlpool tub. I need to mount the tub on a platform so that it can be at the proper height. The tub needs to sit 18 1/4" above the level of the...

Whirlpool tub on slab [ 7 Answers ]

Is it OK to raise the tub about 6"? I'm about 3 feet away from the 2" line in the shower drain stubout, and don't wan't to break up all that concrete. I can get the trap in if I raise the tub 6" (I have plenty of head room). Can I build a 7" high form, fill with concrete to about 6 1/2", set the...

New plumbing for whirlpool tub [ 3 Answers ]

We just installed a whirlpool tub. We put all new plumbing in for the new tub and now we are having trouble with the water pressure on the cold side. Anyone have any answers?? Thanks

Whirlpool drain [ 3 Answers ]

My whirlpool tub is slow in draining and I want to remove the whirlpool drain plug so I can clean it. Unlike sink drains I can't remove the plunger holder and remove the drain plug... it doesn't have a one. It works on the gravity principal... pull it up and set in on stop while the tub drains. How...

View more questions Search