Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kyalega Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2005, 02:10 PM
    Relocation Bonus Question again..
    Hi Atlanta Tax Expert.

Thanks a lot for your advice. However, I talked to my company today and they told me that IRS considers relocation allowance as a Bonus and it will be taxed at a higher rate which is 45%. Now, as I told you, I am on f1 status working on CPT in the state of California. Will it be applicable to me? Is there a lower rate which I can ask for?

Thanks a tom for help
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 23, 2005, 06:04 AM
    Kyalega:

Your company is either incorrect or there is confusion as to terms.

The bonus is not taxed at the higher "BONUS" rate, it is withheld at the higher rate. I believe 45% is a bit excessive, as most lump-sum payments like bonuses are withheld at 30%.

Regardless, it will be taxed at your marginal tax rate, which is probably 15% for the federal level.

It is possible the additional 15% is for California, which does have an exceptionally high tax rate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sign-on bonus question [ 3 Answers ]

I had received a sign-on bonus last year, so it appeared as an income last year and I have paid taxes on it. As I did not complete one year with the company I had to return my sign-on bonus this year. How do I claim already paid taxes?

Another sign on bonus question [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question about a sign on bonus I just received in May. It was for 21,500 and after taxes I received approximately 12,800 dollars. I have been working for the company for a few months now, and now am moving out of the agreed area for my bonus to be effective. Is there any way...

Can a bonus be taxed twice? [ 3 Answers ]

I received a sign on bonus of $2000. However I am leaving the company before the 2 year time requirement so I have to pay it back. I noticed on my last check that they deducted my bonus AFTER taxes so now I've been hit twice. Is this correct? If not, what can I do now that it's already been...

Anyway to receive bonus tax free? [ 3 Answers ]

My employer wants to pay me retirment benefits of $625 (pretax dollars) a month. They are willing to direct it to any invetsnment I choose or to pay me cash. They do NOT have an employer sponsored 401K plan. My question is whether I can have them funnel the moneys into an investment or...

Kitchen sink relocation- Drain and vent question [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I want to relocate the sink to the opposite wall. This is about 10' from the current location. Can I just extend the drain pipe under the floor from old to the new location ? I am not quite sure if there other code requirements. I think a slope of 1/4 per foot is one requirement. Thanks,...

View more questions Search