Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alfredlionel Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2007, 10:08 AM
    Enquiry about mushroom cultivation methods
    Respected sir,
    I request you to send me details of different cultivation methods of mushrooms in home environment under Indian climate.Also give addresses of different agencies who can buy mushrooms.also I want to know whether I can grow mushrooms in coconut fibre waste.will it grow in coconut fibre.what is the process to grow mushroom in coconut fibre
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2007, 10:21 PM
    Coconut fiber may not have enough nutrients to grow mushrooms. Depending on the type you are growing, you would need to add a little more "food" for them. Are you growing paddy straw? If so you need rice straw and cotton seed hulls. Buttons, you need manure and straw that has been composted. Some mushrooms grow on dung, some on straw and some on wood chips or saw dust. Give me the name of the mushroom you are trying to grow and I can give you the parameters.
    Also, you need a way of sterizing the substrate. A 55 gallon drum and a burner to boil water. A basket to hold the substrate while you submerge it into the boiling water. Jars and lids with micron filters or bags with micron filters. There are many ways to proagate the spawn ten thousand times by using spores , cloning and liquid inoculation for faster results. When using spores, you will need to grow out lots of mushrooms and choose the best strains, then by cloning you can propagate that strain. Once you have found the best strain, you must start a bank of that mycelium to draw from for future generations and cropping. That requires many, many test tubes and refrigeration. Not to mention agar.
    Once the mycelium has been grown out in pertri dishes with agar, you can then grow it out in quart mason jars on sterilized rye seeds. Each jar can then be added to 10 more jars and so on. These jars will then be used to innoculate your bulk substrate, ie: composted manure and straw, rice straw and cotton seed hulls or wood chips and rice bran, depending on the type you are growing.
    As far as selling your mushrooms, any restaruant, and many markets will buy them. The markets are hard to sell to if they already have a good supplier since they want to be sure you will have a constant supply for years to come.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

State tax enquiry [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am working as a consultant for a Texas based consulting firm,the company I am working has clients all over usa so I will be moving from places to places as and when the assignment comes in,so while filing state tax how should I file,as my parent company for which I am consultant is in Texas...

Methods [ 2 Answers ]

Could anyone please help me to find the following: drawing tests and those ones on determination of the meaning of life and death to conduct the research into psychology of gender in family man and woman, as well as self-appraisal measures (Budassi?), semantic differences method (Individual...

Pest Control & Climatic Condition in Cotton Cultivation [ 1 Answers ]

It would be really helpful, if you could provide me with some important information regarding cotton crop cultivation. I would like to know whether it is possible to know the outbreak of pest by knowing the environmental parameters like temperature, humidity, sloar radiation etc. in cotton crop...

Retirement to France Enquiry [ 3 Answers ]

I hope this is the right board on which to post this question. I have also posted it under 'Travel". I am a US veteran with a disability rating of 100%, & have decided to move to Paris France. My disabilities, while major, do not limit my mobility or yet require use of wheelchair or other help to...

View more questions Search