Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 08:09 AM
    Do I need a visa to go to Canada or Mexico
    Hi there, I am permanent resident in the US, do I need a visa or interview from the following country's embassy to be able to travel there?

Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 27, 2007, 08:10 AM
    No Visa is required however, you will need a passport if you are traveling by air. The passport requirement was recently delayed until September because of backlogs in the issuing office.
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 08:12 AM
    Oh cool, thanks, very helpful, Scott!
    campsoup1988 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2007, 08:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nicespringgirl
    Hi there, I am permanent resident in the US, do I need a visa or interview from hte following country's embassy to be able to travel there?

Thanks
    If you have government issued photo id (I used my drivers licences), you should have no problem getting into the US from Mexico if you walk across the border or drive across the border, I did it a week ago. My recommendation though, is to walk across the border, it only took me about 40 minutes to wait online, and only about 5 minutes to check my id (I also did not buy anything, so I did not need to worry about taxes).

If you fly or take a boat/cruise to Mexico you do need a passport.

A passport will be required to walk/drive across the Mexico border in 2008
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 08:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by campsoup1988
    If you have goverment issued photo id (I used my drivers licences), you should have no problem getting into the US from Mexico if you walk accross the border or drive accross the border, I did it a week ago. My recomendation though, is to walk accross the border, it only took me about 40 minutes to wait online, and only about 5 minutes to check my id (I also did not buy anything, so I did not need to worry about taxes).

If you fly or take a boat/cruise to Mexico you do need a passport.

A passport will be required to walk/drive accross the Mexico border in 2008
    The rules may differ with the different cruise lines, but when I took my cruise to Mexico I did not need a passport, but I did have to go through customs when I got home.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 11:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalstar420
    The rules may differ with the different cruise lines, but when I took my cruise to Mexico I did not need a passport, but I did have to go through customs when I got home.
    It depends on when you took your cruise. There was a law implemented recently which says all US residents traveling to Mexico and the Caribbean are required to have a valid passport. It's still not fully implemented, but if your cruise was a year or two ago, it wasn't needed.

Aug 15, 2007, 12:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    It depends on when you took your cruise. There was a law implemented recently which says all US residents traveling to Mexico and the Caribbean are required to have a valid passport. It's still not fully implemented, but if your cruise was a year or two ago, it wasn't needed.
    Actually, I believe the new law states that anyone RETURNING from Canada and Mexico BY AIR needs a passport. Those rules were originally to go in effect earlier this year, but have been suspended due to the overload of passport requests.
    campsoup1988 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2007, 08:24 PM
    When I walked back into the US, from Mexico, I still had to go through customs.

Aug 16, 2007, 05:36 AM
    Customs is a different issue.
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 05:46 AM
    Yes, I do have a passport, but does it have to be US passport?
    alanalov Posts: 88, Reputation: 2

Aug 28, 2007, 03:10 PM
    If you don't have the US citizenship, I doubt you have the US passport.
    In this case, you will need a tourist Visa.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H4 US visa travel to canada [ 3 Answers ]

Does a citizen of a third world country required to have a canadian tourist visa though he/she been living in the US for almost 4 years and currently holding a H4 visa? I will trully appriciate the replies... tnx a lot and have a nice day... :)

Visa appointment mexico [ 2 Answers ]

Have an appointment at Tijauna consulate for H1-B stamping on April 3rd. I made only one appointment for me and my wife together. But my wife is also applying for H1-B. I did not know if we have to make a separate appointment for her.Now it's too late to get an appointment for the same day. I...

Visa for entering US from Canada [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am on OPT with F1 visa right now. The company I am working for asks me to attend a conference in Canada for 3 to 4 days. I wonder whether I need to apply visa for entering US for this trip. Thank you.

VISA to Canada? [ 1 Answers ]

Since I am brazilian, living in the US, and now I know I need a Visa to go to Canada, even if I depart from the US, is there any chances to apply for a Visa to Canada in the US? How can I do that? Thank you... :)

Visa do Canada! [ 1 Answers ]

I am brazilian, living in the U.S. with a F1 Visa, and If I decide to visit Canada, do I need a Visa? Since I am not american, and if I was in Brazil, I know they require Visa to go to Canada, if you depart from Brazil... Do I need Visa departing from the U.S. Thank you

View more questions Search