Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Jun 27, 2007, 09:36 AM
    I agree that Credit Cards are abused by too many people. So are computers, cell phones, and many othet tools of modern society. If you choose to opt out of the credit system, you will impair the quality of your life. Many things rely on your credit scores; from getting a mortgage, auto insurance, home owners insurance, to name a few. Manual Mortgage Underwriting is available on some mortgage products, but not all. The convenience of making a hotel reservation, and booking an airplane flight on line are good things. Credit Cards provide limited liability to you in case of fraud (ID theft), whereas a crook who gains access to your debit card and PIN # can drain your account. Automobile, electricity, and credit all carry inherent risks, but used prudently, the benefits outweigh those risks.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 09:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by michealb
    If your smart you'll have a credit card. If you don't understand credit cards or finances get one and freeze it in a block of ice and don't use it. They don't cost you anything if you pay it off every month in fact I make money off of mine because I pay it off every month and I get points towards free stuff.
    I make money off my bank card through points as well. I actually earn cash back as well as gift cards, entertainment, travel, etc.. My bank card also has fraud protection just like a credit card does. You can't say that this is the only way to do things, because I live a life, as do hundreds of other people in the USA, without them. I own a house, I have utilites, I bought a car, and I have insurance all without credit checks. I never said my way was the best way, but it sure is a good way, and I prefer to put my money in wise investments than anything else.
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 09:57 AM
    When you say ban card, u mean debit card, right? It has a limitation on how much I spend? I thought it is my money, I can do whatever I want.
    Again, thanks for your advice!
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 10:00 AM
    My son is 16 and has an ATM card. It does not have a Visa or MC symbol and can only be used at an ATM or a retailer that accepts ATM/debit cards - a PIN must be used.

A bank card can also have a credit feature - those are the ones with Visa or MC on it. Those can be used anywhere you see the Visa/MC symbol.
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 10:05 AM
    Mine is a debit checkcard and has no limit except for with ATMs. I have a 500 limit on taking cash out of them, but I know some do have limits on actual spending. It is your money, talk with your bank, you may be able to change that and if they won't let you, then you should let them know you will be looking at other banks..

You have a lot of good advice from both sides here, I hope you feel like you can make the right choice for you.
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 10:07 AM
    Emland agrees: Paying her way through college tells me she is responsible, too.
    Yes it does, better than I did... I had loans in college, worst move I ever made... lol
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 10:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alkalineangel
    Yes it does, better than I did...I had loans in college, worst move I ever made...lol
    aw... I am flattered!^^

Thank you ladies!
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 10:14 AM
    Not a problem, good luck hun.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which Is Better Debit Card Or Credit Card? [ 20 Answers ]

Which Is Better Debit Card Or Credit Card? We increase our Debts like any thing when we have Credit Card because we spend /buy the goods with free hand / shopping habits, in this case will it not be a better to keep a debit card instead of a credit card? :confused: What are your views on...

New Credit Card [ 3 Answers ]

I recently got a credit card offer through an email I received from my Mileage Card. I have not had a credit card for over 9 years. So I figured what the heck. But to give myself a better chance on getting this card I added a suffix to my name. I got approved. But while answering some questions...

No credit. Need suggestions for selecting a credit card with low APR [ 2 Answers ]

Hai, I don't possess a credit card till now. I am planning to buy a car by applying loan. My friends advised me that if I pay my loan premium using a credit card, it would help building my credit history. They also told me to look for 0% APR (any such offer for the first year) or less APR to...

Credit card [ 2 Answers ]

Why would a credit card company offer to take a settlement of $4,700 on a debt of $29,000?

I Need Credit Card [ 2 Answers ]

I Need Credit Card To Purchase Some Books

View more questions Search