Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 07:00 AM
    Should I buy a car first or a house
    Dear everyone,

I have a question:

Once I have saved some money, should I buy real estate first or buy a new car(the old one is paid for)?

Why is that?
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 07:01 AM
    Simply, a house will build you wealth. A car will depreciate the minute you drive it off the lot. If you can afford a house, it is a much better investment. Buying a new car, especially is one of the worst investments you can make.
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 10:30 AM
    How much down payment do I need for the first house?

Thanks Alkalineangel:)
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 10:44 AM
    Depends on your lender and your credit. I wouldn't get any credit cards, though, if you are considering purchasing a house.
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 10:51 AM
    She is right. 20% is recommended, but that is terribly difficult if it is your first home. But remember that you will have to pay PMI if you are below 20% on a down payment. That is a sort of insurance you have to pay to ensure you will pay your mortgage... seeing as you don't have a lot of equity in the home yet. I would aim for 10-20% if you could. But there are other plans like a FHA loan that only require 3-5% down. Some offer o% down, but be leary of those. Make sure you do your research, there are a lot of bad loans out there now...
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 10:56 AM
    You could join the Armed Forces. Then you would be eligible for a VA loan which doesn't require anything down. Just a thought!
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 11:13 AM
    They also give a decent sign on bonus... you could put that in savings.. lol...
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 11:18 AM
    Lol, I'd like to marry an officer ;) thank you ladies!
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 11:21 AM
    Hehe... smart girl. Not a problem good luck.
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 11:22 AM
    I know a couple of single ones, but they are way too old for you!
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 11:33 AM
    ^.^ lol, thank you... how old are they? ;)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 27, 2007, 01:09 PM
    Well no one should buy a "new" car, a very nice one year old car perhaps a fleet car is always the best deal, On a new car you loose several thousand dollars the first 10 minutes you drive it off the lot.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Jun 27, 2007, 01:36 PM
    Too manty people nowday have the attitue that "you can always sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house." Seriously, if you have plans to buy a home in the near future DON'T buy a car, or anything else with a big payment, as that could mess up your Debt To Income Ratio, causing you to not qualify for a mortgage. In the past I have seen borrowers celebrate the acceptance of their offer to purchase a new home by buying a car to put in their new garage, only to wind up with no house.
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr D
    as that could mess up your Debt To Income Ratio, causing you to not qualify for a mortgage. In the past I have seen borrowers celebrate the acceptance of their offer to purchase a new home by buying a car to put in their new garage, only to wind up with no house.
    Excellent! Debt to income ratio is what I have concerned too! Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buy Another Car or Use Existing Car 'til It Runs No More [ 7 Answers ]

Please help me resolve a debate with my husband. I am a first time car owner. I bought a new Jeep in 8/04 for $23,600. I put $5K down on the purchase + my loan is for 60 months. I would like to trade in the liberty before it gets too old + has too many miles on it. Does it make better sense to...

Going Through Divorce.ok to buy new car? [ 1 Answers ]

Going through Divorce process... very close to final paperwork... I need a new car to ensure I can transport our kids to school and for me to get to work... will buying a new car while going through the divorce process be an issue?

Want to buy a house... [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I are currently renting and looking to purchase a house. He is 29 and I am 25. Currently we are about 7 months pregnant and I have been out of work since September due to a quick move and lack of options in the condition that I am in. He is a high school teacher and gets paid...

Lease or buy a new car [ 3 Answers ]

I am retired. I drive a 2000 Jaguar. In a couple of years I want to get a new jaguar.Would I be more prudent to lease a new Jaguar or buy one? I drive about 12,000miles a year. Thank you very much.

View more questions Search