Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skychief Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Jun 26, 2007, 08:49 PM
    SS Disabilities ? That are asked
    Hi,
    My wife will be going up for her hearing next month and I called I lawyer to ask if there were going to be a meeting between the three of us to go over the ? That would be asked and how to respond.
    He said that he dosen't want a lot of thoughts in a persons head thinking about the case and my wife's case should go smoothing,but I was wondering can anyone tell me what would likely be some of the ? Asked at the hearing.
    The lawyer said at the day of the trail he will go over the ? But I still would like to know what they could be and how is it like when you go to a hearing like how long is it?who is all there? And so forth.
    Thank to everyone in advance
    AltaVista Posts: 70, Reputation: 12

Jun 26, 2007, 10:31 PM
    While there are general guidelines for the ALJ system, each Judge can run a hearing in their own 'style' - just like in a 'regular' courtroom. An ALJ Hearing is much less formal, but I am concerned that your attorney is having such a casual attitude toward this. But then I don't know your disability / medical condition.
    A typical ALJ Hearing will last from 30 minutes to an hour. There will be a Court Reporter along with the Judge. Now, take a look at the Hearing Notice (which will be signed by a Clerk representing the Judge) - on the second or third page, there will be a sentence about "things I will consider include ...". Take a look and see if there will be a Medical Expert, or a Vocational Expert. This will give you a clue as to what the SSA is going to consider. For instance, if someone has a really debilitating illness but the SSA just isn't 'quite' convinced a person is disabled and unable to work, the Hearing Notice will read: Vocational Expert will testify. This means that the disease part has been pretty much accepted by SSA but they're going to go after you to determine if you are capable of working. (btw, SSA = Social Security Administration)
    I hope this helps, and you may want to try a Google search for more info about SSA / ALJ Hearings in your part of the country.
    Best of luck to you...
    MrPippin Posts: 87, Reputation: 17
    -

Sep 13, 2007, 07:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by skychief
    He said that he dosen't want a lot of thoughts in a persons head thinking about the case and my wifes case should go smoothing,but i was wondering can anyone tell me what would likely be some of the ? asked at the hearing.
    the lawyer said at the day of the trail he will go over the ? but i still would like to know what they could be and how is it like when you go to a hearing like how long is it?who is all there? and so forth.
    thank to everyone in advance
    I assume the attorney you hired is an attorney who specializes in SSI cases and that he is familiar with the judges he will be going before. I would listen to his advice and stop trying to do his job for him. In my situation the hearing never even took place. The judge made his ruling strictly on the medical reports my attorney had compiled. Again, you hired an expert who knows the judges and the system, so listen to him and relax.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

LD/ADHD ? Learning Disabilities ? [ 16 Answers ]

My son, aged 11 +, cannot concentrade on his study. A little noise or people talking will distract him.But comes to PC games, he is smart ! If no parent at his side, his writings would be terribly urgy. He sometimes mix up addition and subtraction. He can not sit still, always on the move. ...

Resources for children with disabilities [ 2 Answers ]

Need to have contact information of agencies in the community that provide resources for children with disabilities.

Learning disabilities [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, My son,age 9 years old seems to have problem doing his schoolwork ,it seems he does not want to study .though he plays around well in computer games .he is of shy nature and does not open up easily.he lacks concentration also .anyone who can help me? v:confused:

Disabilities act [ 2 Answers ]

The Americans with Disabilities Act of ____ requires businesses to provide equal access to individuals with disabilities including Web content and services. a.1990 b.1999 c.2002 d.2004 I have already tried Google search and could not find the answer.

Learning Disabilities [ 1 Answers ]

How do you know when you have a learning disability when you get older

View more questions Search