Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arunavcd Posts: 89, Reputation: 3

Jun 21, 2005, 06:26 PM
    Question to Senior Expert Atlanta
    Does a Not-for-Profit Organization have to pay Income tax or any other kinds of tax?
    The main concern is Organization but not the employees or employers. But if there are differences, please explain.
    Thanks for being helpful all the time...
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 22, 2005, 06:35 AM
    Arunavcd:

By definition, a Not-for-Profit Organization will not have to pay income taxes.

However, they must maintain their Not-for-Profit status to continue to receive this exemption. For this reason, they have to file information tax returns that detail the extent of their operations and how the funds they receive are disbursed.

A Not-for-Profit Organization does have to pay employment taxes (Social Security, Medicare, unemployment) if it has employees, unless it is specifically exempt by law.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

General Announcement from Atlanta Tax Expert [ 4 Answers ]

I am about to leave to attend my nephew's wedding, so I will not have ready access to the Internet. I will try to log on when I can to answer your questions, but expect some delays until I return Sunday evening.

Please answer this question Atlanta expert, today is the deadline [ 3 Answers ]

I'm filing state tax for virginia as non-resident and there is one box here in form 763 with instructions as below. I couldn't understand these instructions at all. Which amount (highlighted in red) is it referring to ? I've claimed refund from California state (I had W2s from VA and CA) as well as...

Hard Question for an expert (Credit Rpt) [ 4 Answers ]

I bought a car in 1995 with a girlfriend.  I was stupid And young.  We broke up in DEC 1996.  She kept the car and it got Repoed and it was put on my credit as a charge off(1997).  In 1998 it fell Off my credit.  I am sure of times because I checked my credit report Every six months since...

View more questions Search