Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kabaks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2007, 06:46 PM
    Will my dismissed case show up on LIVE SCAN?
    I have an excellent job opportunity that has come up but requires LIVE SCAN and a background check. My concern is that I have a past conviction (theft) that was eventually expunged/dismissed by my lawyer and a plea of not guilty was entered. The expungement was granted by the court about 10 years ago. I would like to know if this will show up in LIVE SCAN or/and a background check? If it will, what how do you suggest I answer to the employer's question "have you been convicted of a crime?". I would hate to loose this job opportunity as I really need a job to place food on the table for my family.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 26, 2007, 06:52 PM
    I am sorry I don't know who "live scan" is. There are 100's if not 1000's of background check companies, some research deeper than others.

There is an official background check done though the police, on that, no expunged or dismiss.

Next a criminal charge that is dismissed can't be explunged, only charge where you were found guilty can be explunged. If a case was appealed and latter found not guilty, you are not guilty, and it would show up as not guilty.

Now with the internet, and all of the online records that can be researched though courts, some updated properly, many not updated since they are not governmental records, but merely various other records.

So it is hard to say what a private investigation firm can or can not find,
    But if you charge was dismessed, then you were never found guilty,

It if was explunged, you were found guilty, but the charge was sealed basically
    kabaks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2007, 07:10 PM
    LIVE SCAN is fingerprinting. It's used by licensing agencies that I know of.
    kimonogirl Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2009, 10:18 AM

Fr_Chuck: I need clarification on this statement: "Next a criminal charge that is dismissed can't be explunged, only charge where you were found guilty can be explunged. If a case was appealed and latter found not guilty, you are not guilty, and it would show up as not guilty."

Why can't a dismissed case be expunged?

Why do you say that a case with a guilty plea can be expunged?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2009, 10:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kimonogirl View Post
    Fr_Chuck: I need clarification on this statement: "Next a criminal charge that is dismissed can't be explunged, only charge where you were found guilty can be explunged. If a case was appealed and latter found not guilty, you are not guilty, and it would show up as not guilty."

why can't a dismissed case be expunged?

why do you say that a case with a guilty plea can be expunged?

Please do not post on multiple threads and please do not piggyback - this is very confusing for people trying to answer you.

Livescan is technology that IMMEDIATELY sends fingerprints to an agency - it is part of a background check in the same way that standard fingerprinting is part of a background check. Obviously your son's fingerprints will be found on file.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The judge dismissed my case because the plaintiff didn't show up [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, if there someone here knows about the law of the small claim please answer my few question regarding to my case. On Mar. 2, I appeared to the small claim and the plaintiff didn't show up and the judge dismissed the case and he said I won because the plaintiff didn't show and now they asked...

Late 80s/ Early 90s Live Action Children's Show [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for a Late 80s/ Early 90s Live Action Children's Show. I could have been for all ages, but I remember it had American actors, but I watched it on a British children's channel. I took place in what looked like the future. It feature a brother and sister. The boy looked a lot like...

80's TV show with live action fairy tale characters [ 2 Answers ]

I remember and have been trying to find the name of an 80's TV show about a fairy tale princess trying to live in the 1980's she was snow white or a rip off snow white... it was very short lived and I believe it was on at night.

What can I do if I was dismissed by university while I'm an F-1 Student? [ 4 Answers ]

I am an F-1 student, now attending a university in NY, but unfortunately, I failed a course, and it seems obvious I will be dismissed by my school. And I already applied for several other community colleges to transfer, they are still processing my application. I know I'm in big trouble, and mad...

Dismissed in BK but lien remains [ 4 Answers ]

In CH13, charges of 1400 for a dept store bill were dismissed by judge. During court, my atty failed to "make a motion to dismiss" And now I owe 3400 dollars-as a lien on my home. It includes the original 1400, interest and atty fees. I called atty who wants to go to court which I am afraid...

View more questions Search