Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2007, 12:58 PM
    Sounds like you need to get the specific replacement pullchain. What make is the fan?

Ceiling fan pull chain replacement and repair - Ceiling Fans N More
    yachtdocktor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2007, 05:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by boojumm
    I just recently replaced a 4-wire (3-speed)
    ceiling fan switch on my ceiling fan. The chain had broken off inside the switch.
    After installing the new switch, the fan wouldn't turn
    at all. I have tried the swithes at all speeds
    and even went out and purchased another switch thinking the first one I bought may have been defective. I am certain I have the new switch wired the same as the old one as I cut off and restripped the wires (so the wires were still on the old switch).
    The fan still won't turn (however I can hear a hum in one of the switch positions).

Am I missing something here? I am really stumped.

PS. I've seen this same questions in other bulletin boards... But no fixes were offered. :(
    I am having the same problem. How did you fix it?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Sep 3, 2007, 07:27 PM
    Mak sure the correct wires are in use!!
    Can we please back-up a little. When you dropped the fan down, did you see 2 pairs of Black/White wires or just One? This is fairly critical.

Do you own a volt meter? If so, Connect the red lead from the meter to one of the bare ground wires or the green ground wire if you have one. Once you find the correct wires, make sure you open the circuit breaker that supplies power to the fan.

Connect the Black lead to one of the Black/white pairs in the overhead. Turn the switch "On". You shoulld see the meter deflect toward the 110 mark. If you get that, then turn the switch off and check the other Black/ White connection. You are looking for the black line that carries the voltage from the switch to the fan.

If one B/W pair is dead, and the other is Hot all the time, you have disconnected the wall switch. If there is only 1 B/W pair then the load voltage is being delivered from the source to the switch to the fan.

To reconnect the switch, tie both black wires together with a wire nut. Wrap a smll amount of black elctrical tape to the white wire coming from the switch to shw that this is no longer a Return wire. It a "Load" wire. Next, there should be a (1) Black and (1) Blue wire coming up from the fan's wiring harness. They both would be tied to the White wire with the black tape by a wire nut. Black = Fan Motor Power, Blue is for the light attachment. If you do not have a light attachment, do not use the blue wire.

Tie the white from the fan to the white from the supply and wire nut them.

Now turn on the breaker and wall switch. Work your pull chains until you get the fan going on high. Once you do that, then try the next two steps down. If every body works, you are a happy sailor. Remember to be very careful around electricity on a boat!
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2007, 05:13 PM
    Again, all pullchains may look the same, and have the same wiring connections, but they are not the same. See:

valjean1789 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2007, 02:30 PM
    ceiling fan switch on my ceiling fan. The chain had broken off inside the switch.
    and even went out and purchased another switch thinking the first one I bought may have been defective. I am certain I have the new switch wired the same as the old one as I cut off and restripped the wires (so the wires were still on the old switch).
    The fan still won't turn (however I can hear a hum in one of the switch positions).

PS. I've seen this same questions in other bulletin boards... But no fixes were offered. :(
    I recently replaced a ceiling fan switch. After reading the posts here, I was careful to replace the wires in the same positions on the new switch as they were on the old. When I turned the fan on , the slow medium and fast speeds worked when I pulled the chain. Unfortunately a fourth yank on the chain got me back to the fast speed. It doesn't shut off. Can anyone help? Should I try a different switch? Thanks
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2007, 07:42 AM
    Yes it does sound like you have the incorrect switch. However having no off position is unusual. What make is the fan?
    rjhjmf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2007, 01:36 PM
    The Hampton Bay fan probably has two capacitors (if it is like mine) and you need a special four wire three speed switch for this setup. I ended up going to a lighting store that sells Hunter/Hampton Bay products.
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2007, 09:08 PM
    No lighting store sells Hampton Bay products.
    george3754 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2007, 06:50 AM
    I had the same problem, but found that terminal 1 and 2 were reversed.
    george3754 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2007, 06:51 AM
    I had the same problem, and found that terminal 1 and 2 were reversed in the construction. Reversing them fixed the problem.
    KennS Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2008, 12:47 PM
    I have the same problem exactly, Bought a 3 speed switch from Lowe's and installed it only to hear a jum from the motor in only one position. So I took the old switch apart and looked at the guts. My Fan is a Harbor Breeze built in about 1990. At least that is when I bought it. Seems that the switch I bought connects L with 1 or L with 2 or L with 3 but not all at the same time. The orginial switch will connect L with 1 then Lwith 1 and 2 and then l with 1,2,3. This switch was manufactured by DEfond with a part number of E72989. I have called several places only to be told they don't have it. I am still looking. The fan is good if only I could find the switch. For those of you that only have a broked chain, and the switch itself is good, drill out the two rivits and take it apart. It is easy to reinstall the chain end and then use either a small screw and nut to reassemble the switch. I had to do this several years back and it work until now. The switch housing is broken on my switch so I cannot use it at all.
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2008, 02:42 PM
    Try CeilingFanParts.com Home they have all sorts of replacement switches.
    pattycee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2008, 08:17 PM

Holy Cow! The answers you got! It's a wonder you didn't electrocute yourself. There are two kinds of ceiling fan switches: Single Continuity and the other kind (as far as I know, it doesn't have a name). Now, if you got the single continuity switch and it didn't work, then you need the other kind. Good Luck. Since it's been over 2 years since you asked for help. LOL :D
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2008, 09:00 PM
    Actually, there are a LOT MORE kinds of switches than that. See:

sonny1972 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2008, 11:49 AM
    Not every fan takes the same switch. I sell about 14 different swithes for different fans. Internalley they are all different. There is know way to tell from the outside casing or numbers .I usually have to take to switch apart to tell the difference. Ihave been fixing fans for 20 years. Know I don't know everything but am pretty good.
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2008, 05:16 PM
    Do you have a website?
    Uncle TDub Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2008, 04:44 AM
    I think I may be able to offer some help. I have just ran into the same problem and after shopping at 4 electrical supply houses,Home Depot and Lowe's yesterday, I think I have possibly found the solution.

My old switch has L-Black, 1-Grey, 2-Brown, 3-Purple. But also the old switch when compared to the new ones I found have the L and 1 wires 180 degrees from each other (opposite) where the new have L and 1 - 90 degrees (adjacent). Checking the old switch best I could (it fell apart) with a meter tells me that it uses a combination of the 1,2 & 3 wires to change capacitor settings for the different speeds. (I.E. - one speed has continuity between 1,2&3)

With that being said, the closest I found yesterday was manufactured by NSI and has the numbers 101 on it versus the 108 on the old switch. Part number LJY280A is the same on both. I am ordering the 108 switch today with hopes to solve mystery. FYI - C.E.D. electrical supply house is helping with ordering.

Hope this helps.
    Uber Member

May 8, 2008, 09:11 AM
    The numbers on the casings often don't matter. It is matching up the contact pattern. The most common is L-1-2-3 individually like you mention.
    hectorprintex Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2008, 12:13 PM
    Ceiling Fan Switch Repair
    Uncle TDub Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2008, 12:50 PM
    I tried finding the switch to match my old one. No Luck. Even CeilingFanParts.com did not have the correct configuration. The fan I was working on was a Lowe's product as well. I finally took the new and old switches apart very carefully with a small screwdriver prying on the two plastic latches. Be careful as the spring loaded parts will fly. Put the new piece with the long chain back in the old casing with the correct switch and cam pattern and everything is working perfect.

Uncle TDub

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

New pull chain switch for ceiling fan light [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, I just purchased a new pull chain switch for my ceiling fan light. The lead wires coming down are white and blue. The wires on the new switch are black, blue and red. Normally these are simple installs but I need help on how to wire these due to the different colors. Thanks!

Replacing a pull chain switch [ 1 Answers ]

Help! My new pull chain switch has (only) two black wires; how do I connect it to the ceiling wires (one black, one white, plus the ground wire)? Thank you! Willow

Wall Speed control on old ceiling fan install new with pull switch [ 3 Answers ]

I have an old celing fan purchased in the 80's with a wall mount speed control knob. I purchased a Hampton Bay, Huntinton III 522-306 3 speed control with a pull chain. When installing the unit the fan does not work. I have a white wire, a black wire, a blue wire for the light and a ground...

HELP! Wiring a pull chain in a Hunter ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, my 81 year old mother's ceiling fan pull chain broke off inside the switch. I was careful when I changed the switches, only changing one color at a time. It didn't work, so I called my electrician brother-in-law who discombooberated the whole mess, told me the switch I got was bad and went on...

Ceiling Fan Pull String 3-speed Switch [ 1 Answers ]

What if someone by mistake wrongly connect the load on the switch (L) to one of the other wires (yellow, red, green)? Can this (cross wiring or mixing) cause (cross-wire) damage to the motor? Please help. I need this help urgently.

View more questions Search