Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    colleen502 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2007, 04:11 PM
    Neutralizing Citric Acid
    Can anyone tell me what I could use to neutralize citric acid (aside from sodium bicarbonate) and also - how I can find a list of chemicals that will NOT react badly with citric acid?

Thanks!
    rcc6615 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2009, 10:26 PM
    Yes, of course you can reduce the acid. I think you mean lower the citric acid level's PH due to a stomach intolerance to acidic food. If you are allergic, I don't think neutralization will help!

Add orange juice to a lot of white grape juice, it will even th PH balance and dilute it, and tastes OK.

(Grape juice is alkaline, orange juice is citric acid... )

Alternatinely or additionally, add a little TUMS (calcuim carbonate) into the mix instead of baking soda. Don't drink the calcium at the bottom too often or you'll get backed up.

Watch out for foam.

(Baking soda adds sodium and tastes bad.)

Good luck, try new things slowly if you have already had problems.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2009, 05:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen502 View Post
    Can anyone tell me what I could use to neutralize citric acid (aside from sodium bicarbonate) and also - how I can find a list of chemicals that will NOT react badly with citric acid?

Thanks!
    Any base will react to neutralize citric acid. That includes any bicarbonate (tums uses calcium bicarbonate), any hydroxide (Mylanta uses calcium hydroxide and magnesium hydroxide).

There are very few things that "react badly with citric acid" so a list is not really possible. Other acidic substances will increase the acidity in the stomach so maybe that's what you are asking.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2009, 08:03 AM

If you are referring to your teeth, you can try milk. That works.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Acid did not go down [ 5 Answers ]

I was told by the guy at the hardware store that if plunging and using a snake don't work, try sulfuric acid. I bought a bottle and followed the instructions, but it didn't seem to work. The instructions say to flush five times when the drain is open, but I don't think it is and I'm afraid of...

Folic Acid [ 6 Answers ]

Hello to you, and thank you for taking the time to review and answer my question – This is really an amazing site!! I just found out that I’m pregnant; and have been taking 800mcg of Folic Acid for about two weeks now. I read somewhere that it helps with the development of the fetus (brain) –...

Acid rain [ 1 Answers ]

A biologist is testing the effects of acid rain on plant growth. She has 500 mL of a 12% acid solution, dut wants to use a 7% solution. To the nearest mL, how much water should she add to obtain the desired concentration?:eek:

Citric acid in cleaners & titration [ 1 Answers ]

A lot of cleaners nowadays advertise being more effective due to their ingredient of citric acid. If I wanted to find the concentration of citric acid in various cleaner solutions, would titration be a plausible method? Also, how would one go about finding the exact pH of the citric acid content...

View more questions Search