Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    username321 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2007, 03:44 PM
    Cloudy Tank
    Hi,
    I have a 46g tank that I had just set up two days ago. During that time, I added the recommended dose(46ml) of Cycle's bacterial supplement to "cycle" the tank. I also added the recommended amt of conditioning salt(9 tbs). The water in the tank does not contain chlorine or any chloramines. The water today seems to be cloudy especially around the back of the tank. There are NO fish in the tank. I am going to add the fish thurs or Friday. Can you please tell me why the water is cloudy. Is it due to the bacteria pop booming. Also is it safe for me to add the water in two days.
    Rgds,
    UN123:confused:
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2007, 07:30 PM
    Cloudy water is the bacteria growing. Also caused by over feeding. Let it sit for a few days and you will see it clear up. Go back to the store and get feed fish 10 for $1, and set them loose. This will speed up the process. Feed the fish and the fish will create ammonia. The ammonia will turn into nitrite and the tank will clear. Then the nitrite will turn to nitrate. Then the tank is cycled and you can add whatever you want. Oh yeah, when the feeder fish die, take them out and keep on truckin. Ammonia and nitrite are toxic and may kill them. Goldfish are cheep and hardy.
    username321 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2007, 07:56 PM
    Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. Is it okay if I use pure ammonia to substitute for the wish waste(a bit kinder :) and how much should I use for a 46g tank.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cloudy fish tank [ 22 Answers ]

Hello , I recently got a new hobby... a 30 gallon aquarium.I have had it about 2 months. Initially I put in 6 gold fish,3 red cap orandas and 3 gold fish. I then went and bought ranchu(fat one) and bought 2 plecos(algea eaters) and 3 apple snails. All are fine, except that 2 of the snails died...

New - Another Cloudy Tank! [ 28 Answers ]

Nitrate: at 40 ppm or slightly below Nitrite: 0 ppm Hardness: 120 ppm Alkalinity: 80 ppm PH: between 6.4 - 6.8 Ammonia: 0 ppm 29 Gallon tank, set it up around 5 months ago. Temperature right around 79 - 80 F

Cloudy fish tank [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I just bought my fish tank 2 days ago I feed them very little in the morn. And very little at night... I use bottled water that they gave me at the store with the fish... yesterday morning the tank was cloudy I can't even see half of the fish only when they come to the front... what seemd to...

Cloudy Fish Tank [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 50 gallon tank. Wasn't cloudy until I discovered one of the little sharks dead, caught in the filter thingy I removed the dead fish and added the treatment chemicals? What's next I have nine other fish I don't want to die. HELP! I'm new at this fish stuff, so please answer question...

Fish tank cloudy [ 6 Answers ]

All the typical teats come back normal (ammonia, nitrite,nitrate) but the water stays cloudy no matter the water changed or not. The fish tank is a 72 bow front with 4 fish 2 Amazon tiger catfish both about 8 in. 1 armor catfish and 1 pleco. I know the tank is not over stocked or over feed. Any...

View more questions Search