Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bubbler Posts: 69, Reputation: 13

Jun 26, 2007, 02:20 PM
    Can Tithing Cause Blessings?
    Does The Bible Support Tithing in This Present Kingdom Age of Grace? And does Tithing bring yourself personal gain and blessings?

Intrested to hear people's views on this !

Malachi 3:10
    Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be
    room enough to receive it.

Malachi 3:8
    Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2007, 02:43 PM
    Bubbler, I bet you're going to a wide spectrum of answers on this one. Personally I don't believe the NT supports tithing per se, but stewardship - of our time, our talents, our finances as we commit ourselves to Christ and his calling. I don't recall Jesus rejoicing in the tithe but rejoicing in the sacrifice and surrender. He condemned the "teachers of the law and Pharisees" for their strict tithing while having "neglected the more important matters of the law--justice, mercy and faithfulness." Without the latter, the former means nothing.

The NT boils it down to "Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." If you do that, give what you are led to give for the right reasons, God will bless you and the gift. But don't "give to get" - sometimes the blessing is just in knowing you've helped someone else. You can't buy that feeling for any amount of money.

Steve

Jun 26, 2007, 02:47 PM
    Hi Steve thanks for your reply I look forwards to seeing the wide spectrum of answers that come in !
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2007, 03:55 PM
    You know the Bible says you will reap what you sow. If you sow nothing, you get nothing. I do believe in the tithe. In the Old Testament it was stated to give a tenth of the spoils. You give to your Church or favorite ministry or mission, it is all to share what the Lord has blessed you with.

One can certainly give in the manner of their time for such things as teaching Sunday School, being involved in a Church ministry (some outreach), volunteering at a shelter or kitchen that feeds poor and homeless, doing some community service for an organization like Habitat for Humanity or delivering Meals on Wheels. So many ways to give our talents.

In the New Testament, Christ did have something's to say about tithing. In Matthew 23:23, He got after the scribes and their assorted hypocrites: "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgement, mercy, and faith:these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone."

In Luke 11:42, The Lord takes after the Pharisses again, chastizing them for tithing the mint and herbs, yet passing over the love of God. I could not find a specific verse or verses that state we are still instructed to tithe. When you read Hebrews 7 and how Christ was made, "after the power of endless life", does that mean the tithe was annulled? When you read verse 18, it could be seen that way. Reading further, when Christ overcame death, overcame the cross, Christ's blood on the cross became the ultimate tithe for us all (verse 27).

So debate that. I would like to hear other's thoughts on that one.
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2007, 04:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    Christ's blood on the cross became the ultimate tithe for us all
    Hadn't really thought of it that way, but it is all the more reason to give sacrificially :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 26, 2007, 07:30 PM
    And for all those that believe it does, our church does except pay pal, all major credit cards and even cash if you have proper ID

But do I believe in give and you will become rich, NO, I don't believe a single one of Jesus's 12 ended up retiring on a ocean front property, expect maybe Paul if his jail cell had a ocean view.
    We often confuse our idea of riches, and God's idea of riches.
    Tessy777 Posts: 191, Reputation: 37
    -

Jun 26, 2007, 09:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    Bubbler, I bet you're going to a wide spectrum of answers on this one. Personally I don't believe the NT supports tithing per se, but stewardship - of our time, our talents, our finances as we commit ourselves to Christ and his calling. I don't recall Jesus rejoicing in the tithe but rejoicing in the sacrifice and surrender. He condemned the "teachers of the law and Pharisees" for their strict tithing while having "neglected the more important matters of the law--justice, mercy and faithfulness." Without the latter, the former means nothing.

The NT boils it down to "Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." If you do that, give what you are led to give for the right reasons, God will bless you and the gift. But don't "give to get" - sometimes the blessing is just in knowing you've helped someone else. You can't buy that feeling for any amount of money.

Steve
    Steve,

You are so right!! Very good. We are not under the law, therefore not under the tithe. I believe under Grace we should go beyond 10% if we can. But once again it is the motive that counts.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2007, 09:35 PM
    This is perhaps one of the most misunderstood concepts in Christianity today. The reason is is misunderstood is that it is taught only from the perspective of that passage in Malachi without looking at what tithing really achieved for the Israelites.

To tithe to God expecting a blessing is to be doing this with the wrong motive. There are many indications of wrong motive in the Bible and you can't expect blessing if you do things for the wrong motive.

Nowhere can you justify the modern day idea that 10% of all earnings must be given to your local church. This is a complete nonsense. Tithing was not required of Christians in the early Church and only reinstitued several centuries after the Church was founded. Look at the requirements set down at Antioch in the Book of Acts, tithing is not among them.

The passage in Malachi used to justify tithing is referring to the third year tithe, the only tithe required to be brought into the local storehouse. The purpose of this tithe was to provide for charitable works. The tithes in other years were used to finance the mandatory attendance at the Temple in Jerusalem for the festivals that all were required to participate in. In Malachi God is calling his people to be faithfull to the whole of the Law in order that he may bless them. The Law is not required of the Christian. Jesus cancelled the written code replacing it with salvation by Faith in what he had achieved. Redemption through the blood.

The standard for the New Testament Christian is contained in 2 Corinthians 9
    Generous giving and in that there is a promise of blessing but again it must be done with the right motive.

Jun 26, 2007, 11:42 PM
    Thanks for your input I like the way you have looked past just the teachings and message of Malachi ;)
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 06:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    And for all those that beleive it does, our church does except pay pal, all major credit cards and even cash if you have proper ID
    Got to get that plug in whenever you can, lol.
    Hope12 Posts: 159, Reputation: 25

Jun 27, 2007, 07:42 AM
    Hello Bubbler,

What is a tithe? Some say it is giving for religious purposes “a 10th of all you receive.” Though the manner of calculating the tithe varies from one religion to another, many ministers feel the need to promote tithing. But does God require you to tithe? It may come as a surprise to learn what the Bible says about it.

Tithing was part of a body of laws given by God through Moses to the ancient nation of Israel. Twelve tribes of Israel were required by law to support a 13th tribe, the priestly Levites, who had no land inheritance. This enabled the Levites to concentrate on the spiritual needs of the nation. Numbers 18:21-24

Being an agricultural people, the Israelites were not required to pay the tithe in cash. Rather, it was to come from the land’s produce and from the increase in livestock. If produce was to be tithed and an Israelite wanted to give money instead, then he had to pay 20 percent more than the value of the produce. Leviticus 27:30-33.

God’s command on tithing was a serious matter. If an Israelite mistakenly used for himself some of what he was going to tithe, then he had to make amends. How? By giving an extra 20 percent and offering up an animal sacrifice for his guilt. Leviticus 5:14-16

Though not every Israelite could share in the priesthood, everyone could share in the support of the priestly service through the tithe. All of this was included in God’s law on tithing. Therefore, it fitted the circumstances of that ancient people. But does it fit the circumstances of people today? More importantly, are Christians commanded to tithe?

A few years after the resurrection of Jesus, uncircumcised non-Jews were converted to Christianity. “It is necessary to circumcise them and charge them to observe the law of Moses,” some Jewish Christians contended. Acts 15:5

Others did not agree. So Jesus’ apostles and other experienced Christians met in Jerusalem to discuss the issue. They wanted to discern God’s will. Did he require Christ’s followers to keep the Law of Moses, which included tithing? Experiences were related showing a change in God’s dealings with non-Jews, and this was verified from God’s own prophetic Word. Acts 15:6-21 What was the decision?

The meeting came to a unanimous conclusion. Christians were not to be burdened with the Law of Moses. There were, though, a few “necessary things” that must be obeyed. Was tithing one? The inspired decision read:
    “The holy spirit and we ourselves have favored adding no further burden to you, except these necessary things, to keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from things strangled and from fornication.” Acts 15:25, 28, 29

Interestingly, God’s law on tithing was not listed among the “necessary things” for Christians.

Later, the apostle Paul explained that God’s Law covenant with Israel had been abolished by Jesus’ death. “[God] blotted out the handwritten document,” he said, “and He has taken it out of the way by nailing it with Jesus.Colossians 2:14 This does not mean that Christians have no law. Rather, there has been a change of law that now involves “the law of the Christ.” Galatians 6:2; Hebrews 7:12.
    What guidance, then, do Christians have in the matter of giving? How much should you give?

Christian giving is voluntary. It takes into account that each individual has different circumstances in life. “If the readiness is there first,” the Bible says, “it is especially acceptable according to what a person has, not according to what a person does not have.”—2 Corinthians 8:12.

“Let each one do just as he has resolved in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.” 2 Corinthians 9:7

Tithing was a provision of the Mosaic Law covenant to support Israel’s temple and priesthood. For Christians today, it is neither commanded nor necessary.

Take care,
    Hope12

Jun 27, 2007, 09:54 AM
    Hope thanks for your input made for some valid intresting reading.
    iamgreensleeves Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2007, 09:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbler
    Does The Bible Support Tithing in This Present Kingdom Age of Grace? And does Tithing bring yourself personal gain and blessings ??

Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be
    room enough to receive it.

Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings
    A question of "what will I get out of it?" to tithing is a bit like what will I get from mommy and daddy for Christmas if I only give them...

You tithe based on your faith. Don't tithe for the return.

Jun 27, 2007, 09:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by iamgreensleeves
    A question of "what will I get out of it?" to tithing is a bit like what will I get from mommy and daddy for Christmas if I only give them...

You tithe based on your faith. Don't tithe for the return.
    Does The Bible Support Tithing in This Present Kingdom Age of Grace? And does Tithing bring yourself personal gain and blessings?

Room enough to receive it.

Yes I agree with your point but I'm intreseted to hear people's views on the subject !
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Jun 29, 2007, 12:02 AM
    I believe that tithings could bring blessing, but what revelation does one have to only pay tithings to be blessed?
    revray45 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jun 29, 2007, 06:46 AM
    :) These answers are mind blowing. I see that a lot of people know about tithing, well not one answer was off point. Tithing is from the heart, from the mind and, sou. I believe somewere in the new testament GOD tells us that if while we are on are way too give at the alter and we remember that we have something against our brother that we should
    Stop and go and make that right before we give. Well all of these answers are very defined
    And I love it like I said if it's not from the heart no blessing will follow
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2007, 07:39 AM
    I can't add to what the other experts have said. My bottom line is :where is the virtue in charity if it is compelled ?
    Tessy777 Posts: 191, Reputation: 37
    -

Jun 29, 2007, 08:39 AM
    Too bad most churches don't preach this. I think they are afraid people won't give... but because this is the Lord's mind on the subject.. I believe they would give more. That is the difference between the Law and Grace.

Jun 29, 2007, 11:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by revray45
    :) These answers are mind blowing. I see that alot of people know about tithing, well not one answer was off point. Tithing is from the heart, from the mind and, sou.
    Well all of these answers are very defined
    and I love it like I said if it's not from the heart no blessing will follow
    :) I agree fully that most people seems to have a good knowledge of the subject and there own view ! I agree with where you said Tithing is from the heart, from the mind and, sou. I like your out look on that ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Tessy777
    Too bad most churches don't preach this. I think they are afriad people won't give...but because this is the Lord's mind on the subject..i believe they would give more. That is the difference between the Law and Grace.
    Tessy777 another great answer:) , I think churches get sceared to preach the message of tithing because of the bad people out there that use the church or there meetings as a way of getting rich fast instead of doing it for all the correct reasons, but I guess we all know what happens to those people.

I guess to add a little part to the question as well, do you think Tithing will bring blessings to people that only do it for self gain ?? I have my own view but would be intrested to see what other people have too say !
    Lacey5765 Posts: 157, Reputation: 50

Jul 6, 2007, 05:28 PM
    Malachi 3 8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
    9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.
    10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

I know there will be those who will say "we are no longer under the laws of the Old Testament" I have read the threads but still don't agree.

To answer this thread: I give 10% of my income as a sign of gratitude for what the Lord has given me. It is all his anyway. I am just a steward of it.

Today I had an experience that goes along with this thread. Yesterday I withdrew money from my account to pay tithes this Sunday. I was concerned about my balance and upcoming bills but I felt like I needed to put the Lord first. So today I go to work and I was given a bonus for work done months ago. The amount was double the tithe! Now, I don't always receive a financial blessing and that isn't the point. Tithing is a way to show gratitude and faith. PS my tithes don't go to a paid ministry so no one "is getting rich" off my tithes. ( not that my small contribution could make anyone rich anyway) LOL

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Skidboot: Blessings from Texas [ 1 Answers ]

How would you like to drive around Texas in a F-350 PSD, paid for by your dog? http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5249518974978628334&q=skidboot&hl=en

View more questions Search