Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pierresaez Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2007, 11:52 AM
    Draining a hot water heater
    I am looking for a step by step on how to drain a hot water heater as part of maintenance routine. TKS
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 26, 2007, 12:04 PM
    First off you do not "drain" a water heater. You flush it out. You leave the water on when you do. For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by flushing on a regular schedule. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white or yellow grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. Hope this helps, Tom
    pierresaez Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2007, 12:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    First off you do not "drain" a water heater. You flush it out. You leave the water on when you do. For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by flushing on a regular schedule. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run untill the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white or yellow grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. Hope this helps, Tom

Thank you speedball1. Do I have to turn off the gas before I flush the hot water heater?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 26, 2007, 12:19 PM
    Do I have to turn off the gas before I flush the hot water heater?
    No, since this will only take a few minutes and the water level will not be reduced.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

No hot water - hot water heater and cold working [ 1 Answers ]

HELP! Its freezing out and we have NO hot water! Cold is working fine everywhere - but nothing comes out of the hot side anywhere. The hot water heater appears to be working? Did the hot water pipes freeze? Why the hot side and not the cold? Please help.

Hot Water Heater not keeping water hot [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am having trouble with my hot water heater. I believe it's a gas water heater. I have a problem with my water not staying hot. I have no problem getting hot water in the morning if I've run the dishwasher or the washer the night before. However If I haven't used much water recently, the...

Draining a hot water heater [ 3 Answers ]

I have a gas rheem hot water heater, that I don't know how old it is. It was in the house when I bought it 6 years ago. It looks OK and is in my storage shed. I was thinking about draining it (it does make some noise when it is heating) I am afraid I am opening a can of worms. I am not a plumber,...

Draining a hot water heater? [ 4 Answers ]

Is there any merit to draining/flushing a hot water heater at certain intervals to purge it of solids such as minerals to extend its life or otherwise cut down on the amount of corrosion?

View more questions Search