Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    internet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2004, 10:31 PM
    Internet service provider
    Hello everybody

Can some one tell me how to create dial up internet service to the public. What do I need to get, set up, etc.

I like to create 800 # to the public if it can be done.
    I think it can be done.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2004, 05:27 AM
    Well I haven't got a clue but here are some things to think about.

First, you could try searching for "Virtual ISP" on a search engines. Some companies act a virtual ISP. Your name is one everything, but the company hosts all the hardware etc. First one I hit in Google was this --> http://www.affinitypath.com/?a=priva...ispandinternet . I know UK2.Net (British) also provide virtual ISP services - http://www.uk2.net.

Second, 800 numbers won't be cheap. You'll probably end up having to pay out a fair bit of cash.

Finally, I'm sure you're going to need a number of servers to be able to provide a good service. Running it on one or two bog standard PC's won't work well.

In other words, if you don't have a lot (and I mean a LOT) of free cash floating around - I don't think the idea can take off.
    Silverknight Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2004, 05:39 PM
    Yes It Can Be Done
    Partly of what was said previously is true... If you want to start your own ISP then you will need 1-800 # and yes they won't be cheap... however that virtual ISP stuff isn't really needed... You will need a TNT and a modem bank. At first nothing big as you won't have too many clients but 100 should do. Then you will need to configure the TNT and buy a set of IP addresses. (from whom I am not sure, but you better hurry because supposedly they are all being bought out)... Next configure the range of IP addresses within the TNT to be assigned dynamiclly to whomever logs on to that IP address... you will also need an SQL server for logging in... and a program to (database) to interact with it... you will have to also inform the phone company that you have purchased your # from how to route the calls, witch means you will need to buy a switch, another large chunk of change... that is the basics of it... if you feel you need anything else let me know I can find out :cool:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

100 amp service [ 6 Answers ]

I want to add some circuits to my 100 amp panel on my home. How do I calculate whether I have any room for additional load? I have a subpanel in the studio which is set from a 60 amp breaker on the main panel... Standard size home 2000 sq ft--part of the home has a studio apt. 3 fridges 2...

Best dsl service [ 2 Answers ]

I presently have Direct TV DSL. They are ceasing operations soon and I need to decide on another service. I would like to go with another DSL service, if possilbel, but I would consider going with a cable-broadband system. I am in the Atlanta area. My questions are how good is Bellsouth DSL. ...

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error ' [ 2 Answers ]

When I try to access the personal particulars of pen-pals listed in "Hands Across The World" I get the following message: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005' The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change...

Internet Service Company [ 2 Answers ]

I am Getting tired of using AOL.. Is there someone out there that can recommend to me some one better. Thanks for any responds. Paul

View more questions Search