Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mazzie Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2005, 08:56 AM
    XP vs 98
    What are the advantages of running XP vs98?
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2005, 05:08 AM
    If you have a computer that can take it - there are tonnes of reasons to switch from 98 to XP. Here's a comparison list from Microsoft that may help:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...aturecomp.mspx
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 22, 2005, 05:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzie
    What are the advantages of running XP vs98?
    Bottom line is that XP is vastly more stable then any Win 9x version. This is because XP is based on NT which was built from the ground up to be a multi-user, multi-tasking OS. Win 9x was built on the foundation of 8 Bit DOS and maintains some of the limitations of it.

As an example, on Win 9x I had to shut my machine off at night or reboot at least daily. With Win XP I just leave the machine on and rarely need to reboot.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2005, 05:21 AM
    Xp
    Hi,
    The only disadvantage from switching from Win98/98SE to XP would be that if you have any older programs that will not run with XP.
    Some image/photo programs, such as Microsoft Picture It 99 (very, very good image program) is not compatabile with XP. Or 2000 for that matter.

Here is a link to show how to check the compatibility of your programs with XP:

http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/e...2october07.asp

This link explains how to check your computer for compatibility with XP; also has step by step instructions on how to install XP.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 22, 2005, 08:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    The only disadvantage from switching from Win98/98SE to XP would be that if you have any older programs that will not run with XP.
    Some image/photo programs, such as Microsoft Picture It 99 (very, very good image program) is not compatabile with XP. or 2000 for that matter.
    At least here you added something of value to what others said. However, I have to disagree with your assessment of Picture It. I have used a number of Image programs including several version of Picture It (including the 99 version). I've found Roxio's PhotoWave to be easier to use and more powerful. Even the HP Image Zone software they include free with their products is better then Picture It 99 In my opinion. Even better, though a bit more expensive is Jasc's PSP. And of course, on the high end you have PhotoShop and Illustrator from Adobe among others.
    mazzie Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2005, 09:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LTheobald
    If you have a computer that can take it - there are tonnes of reasons to switch from 98 to XP. Here's a comparison list from Microsoft that may help:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...aturecomp.mspx
    The link you suggested was quite helpful. Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search