Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    endlessecho Posts: 121, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2007, 07:50 AM
    Pregnant with an eating disorder
    I am currently 12wks pregnant and since I have become pregnant I have lost about 12lbs. I have had no morning sickness what so ever. In the past I have suffered from an eating disorder but currently have it "Under control" I'm not underwieght or even thin, I am in fact slightly over wieght and have a BMI or 28 but the problem is, I am losing wieght while I am pregnant (and not on purpose either) but seeing the scale read lower and lower as the time passes makes my eating issues creep back into my mind. I eat everyday and I try to eat "fatty" foods (such as pasta or a big breky everyday) and even though I should I don't work out because I'm afraid of dropping even more pounds. I don't know what to do and I'm afraid that my issues will get out of hand again and I will hurt my baby. Can some one please tell me what to do?
    Lacey5765 Posts: 157, Reputation: 50

Jun 26, 2007, 09:12 AM
    I am not an expert on this so maybe J9 will be on soon. But here is my two cants worth. It may be because it takes a lot of calories to get that baby going. Focus on eating healthy not just fattening foods. Maybe you have been eating healthier and not realizing it? I always lost weight the first few months but then as the baby grew I did too. Try not to focus on the weight at all if you have had a problems with that before. Try keeping a journal of foods you are eating if you are afraid that you may not eat. Have someone you trust monitor it for you. Exercise is great, it will help you with the at fun delivery. LOL Remember your weight does not make a healthy baby. Eating healthy and taking care of yourself does. Enjoy the blessing of being a mother!
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2007, 09:25 AM
    I wouldn't worry too much right now. You wouldn't be putting that much weight on at this point anyway. Im a little farther than you and I only have put on nearly 5lbs. and that's mainly from switching from diet to regular cola and quitting smoking... you will start to notice weight gain in the next few weeks, once you hit your second trimester, you will really start noticing it. You really won't gain that much weight until your 3 trimester though.. esp those last few weeks. If you're doctor is concerned about it , they will give you "diet" to stick to. I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep on prenatals so the baby is getting the nutrients it needs. Good luck.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 26, 2007, 10:51 AM
    Everyone here gave you perfect answers. You see it takes a lot of work for your body to develop the baby, especially during the first trimester. This alone can cause weight loss in some women.

The doctor will be more concerned during the second and third trimesters if the weight loss continues.

Now, it is important to try to stay away from "fatty" foods as they are not healthy. Generous portions of protein, fruits and veggies are what is important. You see the baby's food comes primarily from the amniotic fluid, not always what you eat. You baby will weigh what it is going to weigh purely through genetics and less so from what you eat.

When you are putting weight on, you are putting it on you, not necessarily the baby. Also, do not start an exercise regime unless you were used to a particular exercise regime prior to your pregnancy or without your doctor's express approval.

If you are concerned, discuss this with your OB and have him/her outline a specific diet for you.
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2007, 11:07 AM
    First of all, I hope that you have told your doctor about your past eating disorder. It is very important for your doctor to know about it, no matter how long ago it ocured. Having had an eating disorder puts you into a higher risk category, no matter how long ago it took place. Now, in the beginning, most women don't gain much weight, and in fact may lose some weight. Its just a natural change with the changing hormones. Just like when you are in your third trimester, and your body is gearing up for labor, you stop gaining weight and stay at a steady weight, and may even lose a small amount. Just a natural way that your hormones effect your body. However, a large amount of weight loss is definitely something to be discussed with your doctor. Your doctor can tell you if that is normal and safe for you, as an individual. (depending highly on your current weight) I don't know much about eating disorders, but if you had an eating disorder for quite some time, it deprives your body of nutrients etc that it needs to stay healthy and strong, and therefore it would make sense to me that later when you did TRY to gain a healthy weight (such as in pregnancy) it would be harder for your body to hold onto those nutrients etc. add having a baby that takes the nutrients from you to nourish itself, it would be harder. Now, I don't know if that is completely correct, just my own personal thoughts of why it might be harder for you to gain the weight. Definitely discuss your weight loss with your doctor, they can tell you if it is normal, help you know what weight gain is acceptable for your body type. Perhaps they may even have a special regiment of things for you to do, in your situation. The typical weight gain for the entire pregnancy is this.
    Body Type Acceptable weight gain
    Underweight 28-40 pounds
    Normal weight 25-35 pounds
    Overweight 15-25 pounds
    Good luck to you hun, I hope that all goes well for you and I wish you the best in your future endeavors.
    babieface85 Posts: 332, Reputation: 24

Jun 26, 2007, 04:32 PM
    It is normal for woman to lose weight during the first trimester. I had no appetite during my first trimester. When I did eat large/fatty meals I puked out everything. I lost 15+ lbs. I was so scared that I was hurting my baby. My baby is fine. I took my prenatal vitamins every day. I ate lots of fruits and veggies. I have also had an eating disorder. I was so sick. I told my doctor about even though I am recovered. I do not believe I will divert back to my old ways. I received wonderful medical treatment. However, losing even a little weight still gives me a rush and it has the potential to rollercoaster from that point. I want someone to be able to see the signs of my destructive behavior and not be limited by a lack of medical history.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eating Disorder? [ 13 Answers ]

My apologies if I am asking this question in the wrong area as I am not entirely sure where this should be asked. My question is about eating disorders. Can a slightly overweight person be anorexic or bulimic? How do you know if a person has an eating disorder? Any ideas? :confused:

Eating Disorder, maybe? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 15years old , and am the normal weight for my age . For the past 3 months I've keep being continuously sick in the mornings and in the afternoon, even without eating anything. I've had blood tests done which didn't show anything , but the idea entered my head that I may be making...

Eating Disorder [ 7 Answers ]

Im unsure of what to do anymore. Just over a year ago I lost a lot of weight, some people might have diagnosed me as anorexic. A lot of things happened, I will not go into detail. I put the weight back on. 6 months ago, due to this issue (and a few others), I lost basically all of my close...

Eating Disorder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am apparentley suffering from anorexia. I don't like to call it anorexia myself but I am seeing a therapist and that's what he has diagnosed me with. I am 21 the problem has developed since the birth of my 8 month old daughter. Basically just wanted some advice off anybody who is or may...

Eating disorder [ 8 Answers ]

Has any one suffered from eating disorder? I have eatind disorder since I was 17.actually I have no idea what I have exactly, one day I woke up so bloated and I can smell the food from last night in my stomach and from that day regular meals like 3 times a day makes me bloated like I am 6 months...

View more questions Search