Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sansie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2007, 04:36 AM
    Credit Card Judgement
    I received a call yesterday from an attorney's office, although the person did not identify herself as to what the name of the attorney's office was that she was calling from. I have a credit card that I haven't paid in 6 months. I owed $3500 and am told now it is up to $4400. This person from the attorney's office stated that I cannot set up a payment plan, that I cannot pay partial and that anything over $1500 banks will not let you set up a payment plan. She would not answer some of the questions I asked and stated I need to get legal representation. This is the only credit card I have that I didn't pay, all my other creditors are in good standing. Is this true that I cannot set up a payment plan since it is over $1500? Can I contact the credit card agency directly instead of dealing with these people? Can I just start sending payments to the credit card company in the amount that I can afford? I told this person that when I will pay monthly payments and they can even take it right out of my bank account. She said no. THe whole thing or nothing and it will go on my credit. Is this true? I can't offer a settlement amount?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2007, 04:46 AM
    First, NEVER speaks to them on the phone, simply tell them to put it in writing, how do you know that is who you are speaking too?

If they mail anything to you, dispute it in writing, even if you think it is valid, make them validicate it to be sure.

NEVER , NEVER SPEAK TO THEM ON THE PHONE. PUT IT IN WRITING
    chaeke Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2007, 09:22 AM
    How do I start calling card business?
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Jul 22, 2007, 10:30 AM
    Where did that come from?
    Babsbu1007 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2007, 02:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sansie
    I received a call yesterday from an attorney's office, although the person did not identify herself as to what the name of the attorney's office was that she was calling from. I have a credit card that I haven't paid in 6 months. I owed $3500 and am told now it is up to $4400. This person from the attorney's office stated that I cannot set up a payment plan, that I cannot pay partial and that anything over $1500 banks will not let you set up a payment plan. She would not answer some of the questions I asked and stated I need to get legal representation. This is the only credit card I have that I didn't pay, all my other creditors are in good standing. Is this true that I cannot set up a payment plan since it is over $1500? Can I contact the credit card agency directly instead of dealing with these people? Can I just start sending payments to the credit card company in the amount that I can afford? I told this person that when I will pay monthly payments and they can even take it right out of my bank account. She said no. THe whole thing or nothing and it will go on my credit. Is this true? I can't offer a settlement amount?
    They are just trying to scare you, which is illegal they can't use scare tatics to get you to pay. Look upthe Fair credit reporting act (I think that's what it is called). My husband has a debt in collections that I am going through heck and back with but they set up payment arrangements and he owes 2,800. But like someone else stated tell them they are not to contact you by phone any more only though the mail. If they try to make a judgment against you dispute it. Look on the website Bud Hill. He is an advocate against collection agencies and you can contact him by phone or email and he will give you advice. He is very helpful. He will tell you how to handle it and what letters to send them in writing.
    Babsbu1007 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2007, 05:59 PM
    Sorry the website is Bud Hibbs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is a judgement by a credit card [ 5 Answers ]

What does it mean when a credit card company has a judgement against you?

Credit card judgement [ 4 Answers ]

I recently received a notice of a hearing scheduled to place judgement on me for a credit card debt of one thousand dollars. My husband lost his job 2 years ago and I was trying to support my whole family on a small income so my credit card payments got put aside in order to put food on the table...

Judgement on credit card [ 3 Answers ]

If a judgement is placed against you for credit card debt how long does is last? Also can the law firm representing the credit card company(discover) take any personal property.. such as automobiles that are owned or your home The credit card is approx 6,000; and I don't have any means to pay or...

Credit card judgement [ 20 Answers ]

I have a few judgements against me from past due credit cards and I am trying to sell my house In NY and make a fresh start. I have every intention of paying these judgements after I get settled in my new area. I am concered that the judgements may bite me in the... when it comes time to close on...

Credit Card Judgement [ 6 Answers ]

What is a credit card judgement and what are my rights?

View more questions Search