Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jun 25, 2007, 05:54 PM
    Career change
    What are the training and experience requirements to become a Registered Nurse.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 25, 2007, 06:00 PM
    You have been through college right? Have you taken the sciences?

I was required to take:

The Algebras (through College Algebra's)
    The sciences (Anatomy & Physiology 1 and 2)
    English Comp 1 and 2
    Psychology 1 and Developmental Psychology
    And
    Microbiology

All before applying to my nursing school. Now the schools in your area may have different pre-reques.

Once accepted to Nursing School I had to take a 6 week crash, and I mean crash, course in Math for Nurses, then the clinicals began.

You can contact your local university or community college for the requirements for your state.

Just a little FYI... Community Colleges typically have a smaller student/instructor ratio, hence you tend to learn more.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jun 25, 2007, 06:35 PM
    Seriously, thank you. I had no idea it took that much. The field should pay substantialy better! Considering the schooling, time in the field, risks taken along the way...

I think I'll fade to black and stay were I am.

Thanks again, J_9
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2007, 06:48 PM
    Have to chip in my two cents. You might see the requirement for Pharmacology and Psycho Pharmacology also. The college I graduated from required that from their nurses, plus Abnormal Psych.

You are right, nurses do not earn enough to compensate the level of knowledge and expertise they are required to have. Plus the cost of their own malpractice insurance.
    Nurses, like J_9, are worth their weight in gold. So many of my classmates often said it was not about the money (although that is pretty nice).
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 26, 2007, 05:26 AM
    Where I am from we do not have to take Pharmacology, Psycho Pharm, or Ab Psych until we are going for our Bachelor's degree. In my state I gave the requirements for AAS (Associate of Applied Science Degree).

You see every state, and some schools for that matter, have different requirements.

I have been in school for 4 years now (including the pre-requisites), and have one year left before graduating with my AAS, but for the first 2 1/2 years I only went part-time.

Yes, there is a lot of schooling involved, and it is a lengthy and expensive process, but it is well worth it in the long run. I am not in it for the money, I am in it for the passion. If you don't have the passion it's just another job, not a profession.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jun 26, 2007, 05:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    I am not in it for the money, I am in it for the passion. If you don't have the passion it's just another job, not a profession.
    From all of us who rely on the passion you have acted upon, THANK YOU!
    ( You still deserve a raise, in my opinion... )
    Angel eyes22 Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Jul 3, 2007, 08:01 AM
    Training where I am from is completely different I have a few weeks left until I become a registered nurse. I'm really looking forward to it. I guess the requirements are different everywhere . Good luck if you do go into it
    endless8infinity Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Jul 3, 2007, 09:22 PM
    In my local area, my community college offer two routes: Getting in through your grade point average from completing all prerequisites, or getting in through your ACT score without completing the prerequisites (called the "fast track"). I just got in through my ACT score but have completed half of the prerequisites already. However it is not easy to get accepted. There are only 16 slots for the ACT route per year. Check out your local schools and see what admittance options they offer!
    t-man Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Sep 26, 2007, 03:35 PM
    Another thing I'm concerned about is the stigma of Males Nurses.

Are male nurses stigmatized by the fact that the profession itself is femine in nature?

As far as pay goes... I don't know many other fields right now that offer the DEMAND and benefits that nursing does... as well as the hour flexibility...

Might not pay $60/hr... but it looks like you won't have to look very hard for a job...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I change my ip? [ 13 Answers ]

How can I change my ip so I can get back on a site that blocked it?:D

Name Change [ 2 Answers ]

I have sole legal custody of my two daughters in Washington, DC. My ex husband is entitled to supervised visitations only and he does pay child support. He however, has not seen the girls in five years and has maybe contacted them once in the last two years. My question is, "can I legally change...

Need a change... [ 6 Answers ]

I am feeling so fed up lately, don't feel like I am living at all - only existing. I know the path I am currently following is all wrong. It was a good escape from my last job; but now I can see that I need to change course and venture down a new path. There are opportunities waiting fro me, but...

Career change and start [ 1 Answers ]

OK, I have to learn all the in's and outs about a specific Server. That Server is from here: http://firebird.sourceforge.net/ The goal is to obtain information from here as described in the developer guide. http://nettab.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nettab.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=258#3 ...

View more questions Search