Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikeles99 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jun 25, 2007, 04:33 PM
    Recent college grad with criminal history
    I recently graduated from college with a degree in Public Relations. I got good grades and have also consistently held a job since I was fifteen. The problem is that I partied pretty hard through my first two years of college and established significant police record during this time including; reckless driving, malicious mischief, and a felony assault conviction. Since the felony conviction almost two years ago I changed my lifestyle and want to begin a career. Not surprisingly I have found it extremely difficult to find the kind of work I want. I have been waiting tables since graduating last year, but don't want to do this forever! How can I get people to look past the stupid things I did in the past?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2007, 05:07 PM
    What kind of work is it that you want to do? You made no mention of that in your post. Depending on the type of work you'd like to do, you might have to initially settle for something related where your felony conviction won't be a barrier. After you prove yourself with your initial employment you may be able to get the job you ultimately want.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 25, 2007, 05:13 PM
    Yes, with a felony conviction it is going to be hard for many jobs, and even impossible for others, in another 5 to 6 years you can see about getting it explunged. But with a tight job market and many people applying for the same job, all I can say is that you just keep trying, be willing to work for low wages, or even part time non paid intern to show them you can do the job
    jeremy4719 Posts: 136, Reputation: 4

Jun 25, 2007, 07:10 PM
    States may vary on this, but here, it takes 7 years for a felony to vanish from your record... There is no action needed to have this happen...

Your only other options is to contact a lawyer and ask him if this can be expunged from your record immediately or not... It depends on so many things...

And for the job... If you have to check that YES I've been covicted of a felony box, then I hope you have a place to provide a response... Be honest, tell your age when it happened, and tell how you've changed for the better.

Good luck!

Jun 25, 2007, 11:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci
    What kind of work is it that you want to do? You made no mention of that in your post. Depending on the type of work you'd like to do, you might have to initially settle for something related where your felony conviction won't be a barrier. After you prove yourself with your initial employment you may be able to get the job you ultimately want.
    I am looking for a job in the communications field. Whether it be in public relations, marketing, or advertising. From what I understand it is easier to overcome my problem with smaller companies that are less segmented. Larger companies have a separate division that tells the H.R. department if someone is eligible for employment based on their history. Whereas smaller companies are more concerned with how you are perceived throughout the interviewing process. Thank you for your insight.

Jun 25, 2007, 11:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Yes, with a felony conviction it is going to be hard for many jobs, and even impossible for others, in another 5 to 6 years you can see about getting it explunged. But with a tight job market and many people applying for the same job, all I can say is that you just keep trying, be willing to work for low wages, or even part time non paid intern to show them you can do the job
    I appreciate your advice! I work at a small family run restaurant where I am happy and make a descent living. The problem is that I want to start a career where I receive benefits and am able to put the skills and knowledge to use that I learned in college
    Rinskie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2007, 12:28 PM
    I can relate. I have two charges that happened thirteen years ago when I was 19 years old. One was a felony that was dropped to a misdemeanor. However, I cleaned my life up, went to college, published a study my senior year, and graduated with honors. Although my previous employer who I worked for as a cashier for six years, and my professors gave my glowing references, I was denied my dream job for a pharmaceutical company. For some unfair reason, they obtained the information that the original charge was a felony, despite the fact that I was convicted of a misdemeanor. Neither charge is drug related. ("misdemeanor trespassing" and "malicious destruction of property"). Anyway, they explained to me that they are liable and cannot employ people with a criminal history. Not to play the gender card, but I'm curious if it's going to be slightly harder for me because I'm a girl. It might be a bit more unexpected of a girl. I live in Connecticut, so I guess that thirteen years of a clean history, and a college degree is not enough to no longer be a criminal in Connecticut.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Criminal History [ 7 Answers ]

I have been told that after a 10 year period - a person does not have to disclose their criminal history on employment applications. Can anyone confirm this statement.

Criminal history [ 3 Answers ]

How can I help my husband get a job. He told his xwife I'm going to kill you but because he was angry she was cheating on him to the custody of kids and let put him in jail.

Criminal Background History [ 1 Answers ]

At the age of 20 while attending Job Corps), I was arrested for fighting and received an "Attempted felonious Assault" misdemeanor. A few months later I received another misdemeanor for "Obstruction of the peace" I am now 36, and I lost my job which I have been on since before 9-11, therefore...

Can a theft under $50 be expunged from criminal history? [ 1 Answers ]

I was arrested in 1975 for theft under 50 and released by fine. That incident showed up on my criminal history (that is the only thing I have ever been arrested for) as an update in 2002. Can this type of charge be expunged in the State of Texas?

View more questions Search