Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    endlessecho Posts: 121, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2007, 04:10 PM
    Grandparents Rights
    I'm wondering what kinds of rights Grandparents have to a their grandchild if they have never meet the grandchild. The Grandmother in question has had the parents of the child arrested and pressed charges against them numerous times. I've tried google-ing the laws on this and several other things but I am finding it hard to get a good site. Any suggestion of a site that clearly states family laws?

I'm in TN by the way.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 25, 2007, 05:15 PM
    I would suggest contacting a family lawyer if you are that worried about the situation. It is worth the extra money spent if kids are involved to get it right.
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

Jun 25, 2007, 09:13 PM
    So called "Grandparents Rights" are only for visitation and only under specific circumstances in TN

The Tennessee legislature has enacted states which enable grandparents to seek visitation rights with their grandchildren in particular situations. T.C.A. § 36-6-306 (a) allows grandparents requesting visitation to receive a trial when: (1) the father or mother of an unmarried minor is deceased; (2) the child's father or mother are divorced, legally separated, or were never married to each other; (3) the child's father or mother has been missing for not less than six months; (4) the court of another state has ordered grandparent visitation; (5) the child resided in the home of the grandparent for a period of twelve months or more and was subsequently removed from the home by the parent or parents (this grandparent-grandchild relationship establishes a rebuttable presumption that denial of visitation may result in irreparable harm to the child); or (6) the child and the grandparents maintained a significant existing relationship for a period of twelve months or more immediately preceding severance of the relationship, this relationship was severed by the parent or parents for reasons other than abuse or presence of a danger of substantial harm to the child, and severance of this relationship is likely to occasion substantial emotional harm to the child. Continued at link Memphis divorce lawyer - Tennessee Grandparent Visitation Rights as of 2004
    endlessecho Posts: 121, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2007, 07:23 AM
    Lady B, that was the PERFECT answer. Thank you so much.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 26, 2007, 07:27 AM
    Grandparent rights have been giving much greater creedance by the courts in many states in the last few years. But its still something that a grandparent would have to file a court petititon for visitation. Such a petition could be fought by the parents and a decision on how this will affect the welfare of the child would then be made by the courts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grandparents rights [ 25 Answers ]

Are there such a thing as grandparents access rights:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Grandparents Rights [ 10 Answers ]

Hey, I need to ask a question. Me and my husband are married and his mother is very mad at us because we don't take our newborn son to her house every weekend all the way to her house, which is 45 minutes away to see her. She called the other day and we wasn't home and left us a message saying...

Grandparents Rights ? [ 2 Answers ]

1) My Granddaughters Mother left her and my son has know time for his daughter, my son has an abusive relationship with his girl friend and they both us drugs,neither of them can hold a job . My granddaughter has been with me sense she was 2 and half she is now 5yrs my son says he wants, his...

Grandparents rights [ 2 Answers ]

My husbands mother called the other day and left a message saying she was going to sue us for grandparents rights, can she do that if me and my husband are married? And if she can what is it really?

Grandparents rights [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 3 month old grandson whom his mumis not allowing me to see, do I have any rights

View more questions Search