Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    askarzaidi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2007, 04:07 PM
    Received Bonus before CPT start date
    Hi,

I am on F-1 visa and I received a sign on bonus before my CPT I-20 was processed. The reason is that my employer already had my bank account information and paid me the bonus as per the offer letter start date (and not the CPT start date). There's a gap of 9 days b/w my offer letter start date and CPT start date.

I asked my school and they say that they cannot change this date. Will I get into trouble due to this ? The bonus was tax deducted.

Thanks,
    AZ
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 27, 2007, 11:15 AM
    AZ:

As long as the bonus was paid in the same calendar year that you started the CPT AND the bonus is reflected on the 2007 W-2, there should be no problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Received court summons in my door and have 2 weeks to court date [ 9 Answers ]

I received a summons on my door for a $5,000 debt to american express. Lawyer office is about 1 1/2 from my home... I am willing to pay the debt, do I have to show up for court? I am going to be out of town and won't be around on the court date... can I call the attorney's office and settle the...

To-date total based on current date [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I am trying to create a forumula that will give a cumulative or "to-date" total that will exclude future months from the total. i.e. ithe point in time is August and I need to show a to-date number Through August only even though September and October are included in The...

F1 student on CPT [ 1 Answers ]

Hey, I am working on CPT and my earnings from this job is just below 10,000$ and about 1000$ from school in the year 2005. I am an indian student.My employer didn't deduct any taxes from my internship but my school did deduct some money. My question is am I eligible for taxes because last year...

F-1 to H-1, what's the start date of H-1? Should be approval date or visa issue day? [ 3 Answers ]

As I mention before, I changed from F-1 to H-1 last year. I got my H-1 status in Feb 2004, but I went to my home country to get the H-1 visa stamp in August 2004. So I would like to know for counting my H-1 status, is it the date that USCIS (the Immigration) approved (which is Feb 1st), or the...

CPT Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I filled my taxes with a taxes associates. He filed 1040A form , though I am on F1 status. I just realised I need to fiile 1040EZ-NR/1040NR. I filed 2 weeks back. Yt to receive info from IRS. Is this going to ceate a problem. IS IRS going to know that Iam a Non-resident alien? Please give me...

View more questions Search