Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bergun1 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2007, 01:43 PM
    My 17 year old just got busted for pot.
    What else can I do? I have been doing everything to help my 17 yr old stay away from this stuff. (apparently not enough.) Our income is not much I can't afford a lawer. The good new is he has been clean since the bust. I have kept him away from the infulences (ie. His so called friends) And I will continue to do so.:rolleyes: He seems to be OK with staying away the influnences. But I think he is very easily convinced and he get a lot of peer pressure. His court date is 2 weeks away? Where can I get Help? :(

Jun 25, 2007, 01:46 PM
    Lives in IL
    Lacey5765 Posts: 157, Reputation: 50

Jun 25, 2007, 01:47 PM
    You can go to your local mental health center and get an evaluation done. They may recommend some teen groups on substance abuse. By doing this you show the courts you are seeking treatment. It is most likely what they will recommend anyway and they will respect that you are seeking help for him.

Jun 25, 2007, 02:08 PM
    Thanks I have looked into this.

Jun 27, 2007, 11:42 AM
    What should we do regarding legal aspect? He really wants to go to college And I fear this may hinder his application and funding.

Jun 27, 2007, 06:41 PM
    If this is his first offense it may not go on his record. Often if the teen agrees to go to a substance abuse group and stays clean (they will do drug screens) they will give probation. SInce he is 17 it shouldn't be on his permanent record. I am sure there are many college kids who have been busted for the same things. It may effect some scholarships though as some ask about any arrests. I think that only felony charges effect government funding.

Jun 28, 2007, 07:11 AM
    That is what I am hoping. It seems it was a small amount less than 5 grams. He is being charged as an adult (as state law has allowed). My fear is this will be with him the rest of his life.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2007, 07:24 AM
    Ask for a court appointed lawyer. I would have his school records, Gpa, and attendance any volunteer work, clubs etc.. handy so if he is good with those things maybe the judge will be more lenient. Also I would get him into counseling, there are so many free groups, go with him it will only strengthen the both of you. He has to learn to be a leader, find out why he is so susceptible to bad influences that can destroy his future. Good luck and do not give up. Also do not give in to him.
    shorty_got_skills Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

Jun 28, 2007, 07:42 AM
    Im sorry but I don't think your son will stop just cause you take his friends away! It will just make him more mad towards you. He will play niice right now so he doesn't go to jail, but once that's over he will be right back to it. He is almost an adult you need to let him make his choices your not going to be there forever and he needs to understand what he is doing! So try to get him in rehab so he don't go to jail, then you need to let him do what he wants and let him know you will NOT bail him out! Make it like a promise.

Jun 28, 2007, 09:31 AM
    Hopefully this was a wake up call and he will make better choices. You are still his parent and should do all you can. Yes, ultimatley it will be his choice but he needs to have an educated choice to make. He will most likely get new friends when he goes to college anyway. Maybe he will make some positive friends there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Busted rings [ 1 Answers ]

Is it easier to replace the rings or is it easier to put a nem enginge in a 12.5 hp briggs and stratton engine on a murry riding lawn mower

Busted Pipes [ 7 Answers ]

Here is my situation. About a month and a half ago, I noticed leaking from some baseboards in a room that was in front of the house. This room is in front of all of the pipes for the house. Then in about a week all of the bathrooms started to back up, so I called a plumber and he snaked the...

Humiliated Degraded Busted Heart [ 14 Answers ]

I am broken hearted. James and I have been together for over 5 yrs. I stood by him through 1 1/2 yrs of jail time where he was in for assault. I stood by him through his drug abuse and so many rehabs I can't remember. I did everything for him and was with him at his lowest times always...

View more questions Search