Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jasir Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2007, 04:31 AM
    AMD Athlone 64 OR Intel Dual Core
    Hi,

I want to assemble a new computer for me.

I want to know which processor should I use Intel Dual Core or AMD Athone 64

I use my computer for editing works,animation,video editing,converting videos and internet.I need very good performance,Graphix and good speed.

WHICH PROCESSOR SHOULD I BUY: AMD OR INTEL ( HELP ME)

I have already buyed this items---

1GB Ram
    DVD Writer
    160 GB Hard Disk
    256 Mb Graphix

But I have not purchased a processor...

AMD OR INTEL

Help me...
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Jun 25, 2007, 04:41 AM
    You want Intel Dual Core... it's better for video and graphics... AMD is better for gaming. If you do a lot of graphics try putting together a Mac computer(use Intel Dual Core as well)... once you get used to it, it works better
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2007, 04:44 AM
    The intel dual cores are some of the best processors in their price range. A single core cannot really compete for any application.
    Jasir Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2007, 05:11 AM
    Which Is Good AMD or Intel
    Hi,

I want to know which processor is good in:

1)Graphix
    2)Video Editing
    3)Audio Recording
    4)Video Converting
    5)Protection
    6)Long Lasting
    7)Powerfull
    8)Guaranty
    9)Loads Windows XP in less time

AMD OR INTEL

Specify which type in intel or amd For Example: Dual core,Athlone etc

explain in detail
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2007, 05:14 AM
    Hi Jasir, you're probably better off by replying here:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/comput...re-104124.html

And asking further questions.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 25, 2007, 06:20 AM
    Ok first, both the AMD Athlon 64 and the Intel Dual core are OLD technology. The Athlon 64 is a single core processor, the Intel Dual Core has been supplanted by the Core 2 Duo prcoessor.

AMD offers the Athlon X2 as their dual core offering. Every Athlon X2 beats the pants off any Intel Dual Core. However, the Core 2 Duos have finally caught up and do hold an edge against the Athlon X2s. Its not that great an edge since a high end Athlon X2 will beat out a low end Core 2 Duo.

As for the specific items you mentioned I would go to tomshardware.com for specific reviews.
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2007, 06:26 AM
    I trust intel... Intel processors have proved over the years that their products don't degrade as time goes on but stay or perform constantly!

So I would say go with Intel Dual Core...

Jun 25, 2007, 06:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by benn11
    I trust intel... Intel processors have proved over the years that their products don't degrade as time goes on but stay or perform constantly!

So I would say go with Intel Dual Core...
    I've had several AMD based machines without any problems. AMD has proven over and over again that they make the better processors. I've never heard of AMDs "degrading" over time.

I would take an AMD over the comparable Intel any day of the week. This doesn't mean that Intels are bad, just that AMD has proven they can make a better performing processor.
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2007, 09:32 AM
    I am with you with that scott, I am only using an intel currently because of the edge that core2duo had over the athlon competitor in that price bracket when I built my PC. All my previous PCs were AMD and were awesome.
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Jun 25, 2007, 01:42 PM
    Don't forget about the motherboard and power supply. If you want reliable, IMO, Asus is the way to go. Also don't go cheap on the power supply. This is the most important component to consider.

In the way of performance:

I have both a Socket 939 Athlon X2 3800+ overclocked to 2.4 GHz and an Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo at stock, 2.4GHz.

Running the super PI 1 million digit calculation, the AMD does it in 38 secs, the Intel does it in 23 secs.

Right now there is a sort of price war going on with AMD and Intel. Intel will have additional price cuts this July 22 on some of their high-end cpus. Intel already did a major price cut back in April, forcing AMD to lower their prices too.

You can't go wrong with AMD or Intel. Plus, RAM prices are currently really really cheap now for 2 Gigs, so you may want to consider more RAM. Do it quick though, as they say that ram prices will go up soon.
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2007, 02:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC888
    Running the super PI 1 million digit calculation, the AMD does it in 38 secs, the Intel does it in 23 secs.
    Same processor overclocked to 3.2GHz, 16secs superpi :)

Jun 25, 2007, 02:18 PM
    Hehehe, nice :D 3.2GHz is a crazy OC, is that with water-cooling?

I need my X2 to run reliably so 2.4 GHz on air is good enough for me :)

But the E6600, 23 sec at stock speed. Once I get my high-performance ram, I'm going to OC it as far as possible on air. I believe I should be able to get 16 sec SuperPI also :D

Jun 25, 2007, 03:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC888
    I have both a Socket 939 Athlon X2 3800+ overclocked to 2.4 GHz and an Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo at stock, 2.4GHz.

The problem with that is that while benchmark tests will show a difference, most people will not be able to tell the difference. But it does bear out what I said that Core 2 Duos are better right now.

What I'd be interested in seeing is how a AMD X2 5000+ performs against the E6600. Since I have one where can I find that test and I'll run it and post my results. By the way how much RAM do you have in each machine?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 25, 2007, 03:19 PM
    Here you go Scott:
    SuperPI - 1.1e Download - EXTREME Overclocking

Ad here's more about it:Super PI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For reference I have just run SuperPi to 1M on my XPS M1710 laptop.
    Core2 2.0 Ghz with 2Gb RAM took 25 seconds.
    That's with all my normal stuff open, e.g. FF, thunderbird, IM and a couple of other bits.

Jun 25, 2007, 03:29 PM
    I found it. Using the 1M test I came in at 18Ms on an AMD Ahtlon X2 5000+ running at 2.6 Ghz with 3 MG of RAM running Vista Ultimate 32 bit.

Jun 25, 2007, 04:13 PM
    Hey ScottGem, I think you mean 18s right? :) That is fast :D without overclocking too.

My E6600 is running with 1GB of generic DDR2 ram, the X2 3800+ has 2GB of high-end OCZ Platinum DDR.

Here is a site with people showing their SuperPi scores with stock cpus.

If you consider all the sites that use SuperPI as a overclock and stability test, you'll see that 18 sec. SuperPi 1M is overclocking territory. Fantastic :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heater core [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 and the mechanic has discovered that the heater core is clogged. The truck has 25,000 miles on it and the coolant level is in the normal range. The coolant is from the factory. What could have caused the clog?

XP Setup Restarts on Dual Core Box [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am going out of my mind with this problem and any help would be greatly appreciated. I decided to give my studio machine an upgrade and after much deliberation with a good mate of mine (and fellow producer) I opted for an AMD Dual Core X2 4600+, 2GB Corsair RAM, Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo and...

What is the difference between AMD and INTEL? [ 5 Answers ]

I need some detailed expert explanation of the difference between AMD and Intel. Also I want to know that why people say AMD is ideal for gaming. Is that truly so? Please help me.

Amd Or Intel? [ 1 Answers ]

In laptops,what's benefits in amd or intel system?

Question difference Intel vs AMD? [ 2 Answers ]

I am helping my daughter with a paper on Intel vs AMD. We are stuck. We need the bad points on each I want no answers just need pointed in the right so I can her find and write about the answers. Thanks

View more questions Search