Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rondom1 Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Jun 25, 2007, 01:27 AM
    Why religion?
    I was just wondering why those of you with religions chose to believe in it. That is other then it being what your family has done. Just wondering because I myself am not religious at all, so I'm not trying to bash on anyone and I also don't want to be converted.

Thanks, Eric
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2007, 03:34 AM
    I chose my religion after many years of soul searching and realization. It is a different religion then anyone else in my family and they did not readily embrase my decision. I chose it because I feel I have deep ties within nature and I do not believe in just one set god or thing. I believe that everything that goes around comes around and that nature and symbolysim are within everything
    self_lnflicted_hell Posts: 106, Reputation: 9

Jul 19, 2007, 08:43 AM
    Hmmm, why did you only get one answer on this question? Is it because no one has a justifiable answer?
    Anyway, on with the question at hand...
    I use to be religious. It was because my mom would make me go to church with her. She didn't want to go alone. I hated it, I was so bored and could never understand anything that they preached or could never believe how starving yourself or giving the church all your money (especially when we could barely afford to eat!) would help anything out. And when told that you have to go to church or god won't accept you, that was it. I was tired of the games and the stories. I would even ask questions that could never get an answer.

Fast forward about 5 years. I have 2 little girls and a fiancé. I decide to try church again. It's still the same crazy stuff but the kids love it so I try. The fiancé won't have anything to do with it since he's atheist, maybe that's what made me stay, I was worried for us. So I try to get him involved. He finally budges but his questioning was opening up my eyes again. I was thinking, "this stuff makes no sense at all!" If I don't go to church, I'll be damned. If I don't give the church my money... I'll be damned. If I don't starve myself... I'll be damned! Needless to say, somewhere along the way, I started losing faith again.
    Then came the time that we wanted to get married. (a few years later) NO CHURCH would accept us unless we became members. Who's right is it to tell us that we can't get married because we don't go to church?? We got married by a JP.
    Fast forward now, 8 years later... I'm fine, my life is fine, bills are paid, I'm happy, Life's great! And I haven't accepted him into my life since. Am I going to hell? I don't know... I don't believe in a heaven so therefore, I don't believe in a hell. I will die someday, what happens after... I don't know. But for right now, life is perfect.
    I have no more questions. I've already made up my mind. Firm believers don't understand so don't try to. I don't dislike you for believing, only thing is, I can't exactly understand why, but anyway... Don't dislike me for not believing. Religion is a very sticky subject. I try to just stay away from it but it's everywhere, it's brought into everything and every subject. Sure yeah, you believe but what exactly do you believe in? There's a difference between having faith and actually believing everything the book says. It's just a story to me. I don't care if you tell me that you have faith and that's what makes you feel better but when you say that you believe everything in the book in all it's entirety, I'll laugh in your face. Think about half of the things it says, that is exactly why I don't believe, nothing makes any sense to me. The man made from dirt, woman made from a rib, the snake, the apple, the bush, the parting of the sea, the great flood... It really is a great story though, don't get me wrong. I just don't believe it. I'm a rational thinker and I've outgrown fairy tales. I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings.
    Have a nice day :)

P.S. I know plenty of people who are religious and they know exactly how I feel and they can understand why I feel the way I do. Even they sometimes question things, doesn't mean they lose faith, they just don't believe everything they've read or heard either. I accept their faith, they accept my lack of faith. So, don't anyone judge me. Have an open mind.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 19, 2007, 08:58 AM
    I'm sort of with you. I do not believe in organized religion. In my opinion, all organized religions are just a device to get people to behave a certain way. I believe myself to be a moral, ethical and generous person. Therefore I do not need the crutch of organized religion to make me act as a good person.

Jul 20, 2007, 06:12 AM
    Exactly, I don't need anyone or any book telling me how I need to live. I live with respect and decency, I do what I should and need to. I don't do anything illegal. The only thing that I really do that's bad for my body is smoke and drink on occasion. But nobody's going to tell me that I'll go to hell for it cause as far as I'm concerned, there is no hell.
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Jul 20, 2007, 07:08 AM
    Me personally as a christian won't ask why you don't have faith, your attitude says it all !

Jul 20, 2007, 07:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marily
    Me personally as a christian won't ask why you don't have faith, your attitude says it all !
    I'm feeling feisty this morning, so I'll risk opening this can of worms. I'm not sure whether your post was directed at me or Self or both, but its very unclear.

You say we don't have faith, faith in what? You refer to an attitude, what attitude is that? Both Self and I stated that we live our live by being respectful and decent. Essentially adhering to what's usually referred to as the Judeo-Christian ethic. So what are we missing?

Jul 20, 2007, 07:31 AM
    You're saying that I have an attitude? I was only plainly stating why I don't need to live by any code, that my life is just fine the way it is, without religion or any book about your god. Just because I don't say what you think I should does not mean I have an attitude nor does it make me a bad person! Now I have an attitude because people like you, who are taught not to judge, do so without even considering my reason for non belief!
    I am a nice, kind hearted, respectful, decent, trustworthy, lovable, NON JUDGING, helpful, one of a kind human being and I don't need no d*mn book or stupid scriptures to tell me how I should live! You think how you want and you live how you think you should, I don't tell you that you're wrong. Do I think that you're living in a fantasy world? YES, and that's my very own opinion but I also say Whatever Makes You Happy! How's that attitude for you??

And Thank you ScottGem. I do have faith, faith in my kids, that they will grow to be strong, smart individuals and always do what's right and that every day will be a great one. Do I have faith in scripture or the book or in jesus? No, and I have my own reasons not to, it's my own opinion. Marily has it all wrong to think that she can judge the way she does. How christian like is that? I live for me and my family and I've been doing pretty darn good too.

Jul 20, 2007, 07:43 AM
    Actually it was meant for selfinflicted hell

Jul 20, 2007, 07:54 AM
    And you also left this in my reputation...
    Self inflicted hell huh? That name really says it all, and to think you name that yourself, good to know that some people know who they are
    Actually, it has nothing to do with the HELL you're thinking of, it has to do with the fact that I always made the wrong decisions when it came to men, I always went for the rebellious bad ones and ended up hurting myself. I knew better but there's always something about them bad boys that makes a girls toes curl. But since 2005, the latest bad boy has proved to me that their not all the same... Should I change my name to make you happy? Maybe something a little nicer like sugar puff or candy girl... Is that more to your liking?

Go judge someone else.

Oh and you know what Marily? I think that you're out looking for the bad in everyone, more reason for you to judge and to make yourself feel like a better person. Cause since were bad souls you're the righteous one, right?

"Say what you need to save your soul
    But leave your religion at the door"
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 07:55 AM
    I agree with Self inflicted and Scott Gem. I was raised christian, baptised christian, went to catholic school, married in the catholic church, celebrated my sacraments, and was overall taught to fear the teachings in the bible, and I went along with this until I got to college. But I was unhappy, and then I started using my mind and some things just did not make sense to me. I started researching, and studying the history of my religion, which in turn led me to research and learn about other religions. I learned that one underlying factor in all religions is that God, Allah, the divine, whatever you want to call it is all-loving. I discovered that I can live my life under the basic moral principles, love, don't kill, be respectful, etc. and I took that and made it my own. This is what I live by. I keep myself open and I learn what I can. I experience everything in this life. I don't let a book that was written hundreds of years ago rule my life. I am raising my family the same way. Religion is faith, and no one can dictate what that faith may be for another person. It is meant to be interpreted personally. I will not push my beliefs on anyone and don't expect to be pushed in return. In my opinion. If you want to follow those beliefs, do so, if it makes you happy and is what you think is right. No one can say for sure what is truth or fiction. Have faith in what you feel is strong, and that, in my opinion, is the power of god. Judging others is wrong in any way you put it.

Jul 20, 2007, 07:58 AM
    AND WHO ARE YOU TO JUDGE ME... Hypocrite!

Jul 20, 2007, 08:05 AM
    Ya know what? This is getting out of hand, I don't have time to sit here and argue with a girl who believes she is at any higher power or any better than I am all because I don't believe in her fables. Thank you to those who stood up for me and respected my beliefs. :)
    Have a good day :D

Jul 20, 2007, 08:16 AM
    Doesn't really matter. What I noticed is that you dodged my questions. If you can't back up what you say, then don't say it!

Jul 20, 2007, 08:24 AM
    You smoke? Ygggh! You want to tell people just what's on your mind but when others don't respond to your liking, you get a stroke, I'm not judging you or anyone else, unbelievers is not suppose to have faith in God because that's their nature, what will come in handy is a guard in front of your mouth ;)
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 08:39 AM
    There is a difference between posting your opposite opinion of someone and posting judgemental comments towards them. Even in your post about not judging, you were judging.

You can not say that ayone is an unbeliever. No one can say that about anyone. Everyone has their faith, and they believe in it, we are all believers, but believe in different things. People need to respect that. The only person I need judging me is my God, and he at least will be fair.

Jul 20, 2007, 08:49 AM
    You smoke? ygggh! You want to tell people just what's on your mind but when others dont respond to your liking, you get a stroke, im not judging you or anyone else, unbelievers is not suppose to have faith in God because that's their nature, what will come in handy is a guard infront of your mouth ;)
    I see you are still dodging my questions.

As akalineangel points out, you claim to no be judging at the same time that you brand people "unbelievers". Unbelievers in what, in the way YOU choose to believe? But just as you have the right to believe what you want, so do we. We should not be subject to your obvious disdain because we don't believe as you do.

Jul 20, 2007, 10:25 AM
    Marily, Marily, your life is but a dream...

Yeah, I smoke, what's it to you? I read in another post of yours, you only wear full length dresses, no make up and you don't do your hair... Well woman, that's "yggh!" to me! If I passed you on the street, I would probably notice your dreary disposition but I would not second glance or judge you. YOU on the other hand would probably show extreme disgust in my appearance and throw your nose up in the air! For you, Miss Marily, are better than me and the rest for you are a follower of christ and will someday reign in his kingdom! Well, sweety, good for you. I'm just fine knowing that someday I will die, be buried and my body will eventually decompose into worm bait. :D

You want to tell people just what's on your mind but when others don't respond to your liking...
    No, you can oppose me on ANY subject OTHER than religion! I think it's just a big humongous fairy tale and those who believe in everything they read still have the minds of a 5 year old and haven't grown up and faced reality yet... Just my opinion, don't go crying over it.

unbelievers is not suppose to have faith in God because that's their nature
    EXACTLY! You said something I agree on!

what will come in handy is a guard in front of your mouth
    Now Marily, that's not very nice. Are you saying that just because I don't believe in your hogwash that I should not speak at all? Who are you to try and stop me? One of gods disciples? Does that make you more powerful than ME? I think not dear Marily!

And what if this place actually had an Atheist/Humanist board... Would you drive yourself insane trying to make people see your light? That would be fun to watch :)

Did you know that Einstein was Atheist?

"If god doesn't like the way I live, Let him tell me, not you."

"I am treated as evil by those who feel persecuted because they are not allowed to force me to believe as they do."... author unknown

"Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."... Author Unknown

"When a man ceases to believe in god, he does not believe in nothing. He believes in everything."... G.K. Chesterson

This is a good one!
    "Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."... Chapman Cohen

"I do not believe in god because I do not believe in Mother Goose."... Clarence Darrow

"Not only is there nothing to be gained by believing an untruth, but there is everything to lose when we sacrifice the indispensable tool of reason on the altar of superstition."
    ... Freedom From Religion Foundation

"The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance...logic can be happily tossed out the window."
    ... Stephen King

"I respect faith, but doubt is what gets you an education."... Wilson Mizner

"One would like to believe that people who think of themselves as devout Christians would also behave in a manner that is in according with Christian ethics. But pastorally and existentially, I know that this is not the case, and never has been."
    ... John Neuhaus, in San Jose Mercury News

Faith: not wanting to know what is true... Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

"What I don't like about bible thumpers, or any cult for that matter, is the arrogance exhibited with impunity by them as they perform their socially accepted public displays of schizophrenic indulgence with the goal of influencing weak-minded individuals, mostly young impressionable children, to join in activities that brainwash them into thinking a certain way so as to restrict their ability to freely reason, to police their own thoughts and become willing slaves, to not take responsibility for their own actions, and to be unquestioningly subservient to the will of a silent invisible entity whose thoughts and wishes are supposedly passed down through the overly exaggerated, un-provable, inconsistent, babblings of an old book that can only be deciphered correctly by someone who claims to be in direct contact with this entity, and who is undoubtedly either the most schizophrenic, or the most deviant member of the group. I see religion, all religion, as evil, and its minions as zombies."... Steve Pinkston

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing, all-powerful God, who creates faulty humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes."
    ... Gene Roddenberry

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    ... Carl Sagan

"I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But as much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking."
    ... Carl Sagan

"The world is so exquisite, with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better, it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look Death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides."
    ... Carl Sagan

"This above all: to thine own self be true."
    ... William Shakespeare

Would you consider any of these pure common sense? Maybe with the exception of 4 and the end of 11...

1. Do not give opinion or advice unless you are asked.
    2. Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.
    3. When in another's lair, show him respect or else do not go there.
    4. If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy.
    5. Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
    6. Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved.
    7. Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.
    8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
    9. Do not harm little children.
    10. Do not kill non-human animals unless attacked or for your food.
    11. When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.

After I get a response from these, I'll let you in on the place where I found them ;)
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 10:41 AM
    I love the Gene Roddenberry quote... I am familiar with those commandments as well, self inflicted

Jul 21, 2007, 04:59 AM
    I like the Steve Pinkston one. Very dramatic, and probably one of the longest sentences I've ever read! :eek:

Welp, I got the first response to the 11 Satanic Rules of The Earth. After knowing this, it's horrible and I should be thrown immediately from the message boards?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do you really have to have a religion? [ 11 Answers ]

Is having a religion really important is / is it something you really need?? :(

Religion [ 9 Answers ]

Well, I was not raised in church, My in-laws quilted me into it when I was about 21. I believed every thing I heard for years, I tried to "prove" it. I felt like I had to see evidence of the spirit. I rasied two kids in church until they were old even to make up their own mind. THEN I started...

New religion [ 2 Answers ]

What steps are required to officially register a new religion in the United Kingdom, and with whom do you register?

View more questions Search