Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gostronge Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2007, 07:38 PM
    Push and Pull force
    Two dogs and a cat fight over a 1kg beef bone. The bone accelerates to the right at 2.5m/s^2 Dog A pulls to the left with a force of 300N and Dog B pulls to the roght a force of 375N

What force does the Cat exert on the bone?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2007, 11:38 PM
    You're going to have to draw a diagram because I have no idea what "right" means, or where the cat is.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 25, 2007, 01:52 PM
    I assume you know the famous F=ma equation, right? Well, here you know the bone's mass and acceleration, so you can calculate what the sum of all the forces must be, and its direction. Remember that forces are vectors, so they have a direction, and in adding forces you add forces that are going in the positive direction and subtract forces going in the negative direction. For this problem let's call the direction to the right positive, and the left is negative. Now, the total force must be going to the right, since that's the direction the bone accelerates. Call that total force . Once you have that calculated, you can find the force the cat exerts by subtracting the forces that the two dogs exert from :

Hope this helps.
    Gostronge Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2007, 07:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    I assume you know the famous F=ma equation, right? Well, here you know the bone's mass and acceleration, so you can calculate what the sum of all the forces must be, and its direction. Remember that forces are vectors, so they have a direction, and in adding forces you add forces that are going in the positive direction and subtract forces going in the negative direction. For this problem let's call the direction to the right positive, and the left is negative. Now, the total force must be going to the right, since that's the direction the bone accelerates. Call that total force . Once you have that calculated, you can find the force the cat exerts by subtracting the forces that the two dogs exert from :

Hope this helps.
    The force of the Cat equels 2.5N (F=ma). If I add Dog A, Dog B and the Cat's force which will give me the totel force, right? But by using the total force to subtract Dog A and B will only give me what I calculated at the beginning, the Cat at 2.5N.

what I have tried doing is Dog B - Dog A = force to the right and adding the Cat's force at 2.5N to the right, which gives me a answer of 77.5N to the right. Because this question is a multiple choice I'm still confuse on picking the following answers. I think it C but have a feeling that it might be A as well.

a 72.5N right
    b 77.5N left
    c 77.5 right
    d 72.5 left
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 26, 2007, 10:17 AM
    I think what you mean is that the Total Force is 2.5N. That's the force that would have to be exerted on a 1 Kg bone to accelerate it at 2.5 m/s^2. Do you see that?

You know that Dog A is pulling to the left at 300N and Dog B is pulling to the right at 375N, so the total of these two forces is 75N to the right. Do you see how that works? Now you need to determine what additional force, and in what direction, is applied by the cat so that you get a total force for the two dogs plus the cat to be 2.5N to the right. The sum of the forces of the two dogs alone is too much to the right, so clearly the cat must be pulling left - can you determine by what amount?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Push Pull Tub Stopper-Remove How? [ 8 Answers ]

Here's hoping this is the 2nd dumbest question on the face of the planet. I have a push pull tub stopper (see uploaded pic) in my master bath tub. A couple of years ago I had a plumber in to clear a laundry room/bathtub clog and I saw him remove the tub's push pull stopper and dig out some...

Pull cord won't pull on Murray 2.0 mower [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Murray/Briggs 6.0 engine mower and the pull cord is sticking. It will stop after pulling about 4 inches. Then if I jiggle the pull cord it will extend another 4 inches. I can see a plastic piece that seems to be stopping it at every four inches. What is causing this and what is the repair...

Push and pull water connections [ 5 Answers ]

I can not get the sprayer connection under the sink to not leak when it is used. It only leaks when it is moved because the push in fitting moves when you use it, no leaks if not used. Is there anyway to fix this situation. The person who came up with this idea never tried using it, nut connections...

How to fix a Pull start, Won't pull out! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 49cc Mini Dirt Bike. It has a pull start engine, just like a lawn mower. However, I went to pull the cord as usual, and the cord just won't pull out! I don't know what it is, but I try and pull it as hard as I can, and it only comes out about 4 inches! I need help! Thanks!:)

Gravity: A push or a pull? [ 1 Answers ]

Is gravity bent space-time which causes mass to "slide down hill" or is it a push force or pressure that is everywhere the universe that is shielded by mass? What experiments do or would show which model is correct?

View more questions Search