Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bekah876 Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Jun 24, 2007, 06:56 PM
    Pregnancy symptoms.
    This is more of I have to get something off my chest then a question. My last cycle was the 28th of May, which puts me as starting today, June 24th. I have many of the classic pregnancy signs, at least from what I know this is my first time. Around day 16 or 17 of my cycle I had some cramping, which is unusual for me. My breasts are now tender and swollen and my nipples pretty much constantly hard. I have been tired and feeling "yucky" lately. Having a mixture of upset stomach and nausea and constipation. And today, around late afternoon on my lower back has been killing me, more to my left side though. I am starting to have more clear discharge and feeling wet which makes me think my period is about to come any second. I am so afraid to go to the bathroom because I don't want to see red. I just wanted to tell someone... What do you guys think? I know I should just go buy a HPT, I just want to wait and make sure. Thanks!
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2007, 10:04 AM
    You are probably smart to give it a few days before getting a pregnancy test. There is nothing wrong with rushing out and buying one, but if you wait a week, the chances of it being a waste of money are slimmer. In my case back when I was trying to conceive my second son, I would go out and buy a test the day my period was suppose to come, and I would take the test, be heart broken when I saw the negative sign, and then be even more broken hearted and angry for wasting the money, when I would start my period within a few hours of taking the test. HAh, so I don't blame you at all for wanting to wait a few more days. However, until you get that positive, or negative result, there is no way to tell if you are pregnant. The symptoms you are experiencing are pregnancy symptoms, however, they are also pms symptoms as well as a hundred other things. SO I'm afraid you won't know until you take a test. Good luck and let us know either way.
    automansgirl Posts: 467, Reputation: 42

Jun 25, 2007, 10:27 AM
    Just to add to what buggage said... I didn't get a positive until I was 10 days late. The only symptoms I had were cramping and backache. Of course these can also be pms, so you just never know. I didn't have sensitive breasts or a feeling of being tired until about 7 weeks. Every person is different, so if you are pregnant you may be experiencing this already, but it is unlikely. Give it at least a few days of no period before you test. I know the tests say they can detect the pregnancy hormone hcg as early as 5 days before your missed period, but for many women it can take 7-10 days or more before the hormone has built up enough for it to be detected. Until then, try to relax and let us know the outcome!
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2007, 10:27 AM
    I agree, I wish there was a absoulte way of knowing that you are pregnant, but there isn't. Buggage is right, the symptoms you are feeling can be many other things than pregnancy. I know It is so hard to wait when you want something so badly. It will be that much more rewarding if it is positive though, after waiting a few days. Good luck Hun.

Jun 25, 2007, 11:16 AM
    I broke down this morning and bought a test. This was after not sleeping much last night because I couldn't get in a comfortable position that wasn't killing my back. I had already gone to the bathroom several times this morning and several times through the night but I figured I would take the test anyway and take the next one in the pack tomorrow morning with first morning urine. The test came back positive. The line wasn't as dark as the other line (that shows it is working), but it was positive. This is only day 2 of my missed period. I am still going to take the other test tomorrow morning just to make sure. Now I am lost... not sure what to do. This is a first for me. I did go and buy prenatal vitamins, beyond that I am lost. Deep breath!! We were talking about when we might start trying, but we weren't trying just yet so this is a surprise... a good one though.
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2007, 11:21 AM
    Well, it sounds like a positive to me. Its more rare to get a false positive then a false negative. So, take the second test, but... CONGRATS! ;0) prenatals, and once you get your second positive test result, call your ob/gyn of choice, and they will tell you how to get started. (where to get a proof of pregnancy test done-if needed- and your first appointment etc) drink lots of water, take those vitamins and take extra good care of yourself, for you and baby. Oh, and get all the sleep you can, because once baby comes, sleep will become a thing of distant memory. "did it ever really exist? " ;0)
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2007, 11:39 AM
    Congrats! I took like 4 tests to be sure... lol. But A line is a line. Good job on the prentals. I agree with everything buggage said. Sleep Sleep and more sleep!! And also start seeing any movies and reading any books that you have been thinking about now.. lol. Good luck sweetie, and welcome to our club.

Jun 25, 2007, 02:28 PM
    Thank you both! Any advice I get is good advice, seeing as this is my first time. I am sure I will have more questions and I know where to go. I tried to give you both a green but I suppose I have given you one lately.
    automansgirl Posts: 467, Reputation: 42

Jun 25, 2007, 07:26 PM
    Yeah congrats! The only other thing I can tell you to do is continue to educate yourself on pregnancy. Just have an idea of what's to come. If you are anything like I was in the very beginning, the lower backache will get better pretty soon. Then you will have a few days where it hurts, but nothing much... that is until a bit later on! Also, don't feel like you should be "doing something." I know I felt like I needed to do something about being pregnant, and that I could somehow plan things out in advance, but other than doc appointments nothing will be planned. Just relax and enjoy yourself when you aren't feeling sick (which will begin anwhere from probably week 6-8). Again, congrats, take your other test and then call your doctor to schedule your first appointment. Welcome to pregnancy!
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2007, 08:53 PM
    I agree with automansgirl. Educate yourself as much as possible. When I was in labor with my second son almost 6 weeks ago(can't believe it was that long ago!) the nurse was telling me about some of the things going on, and seemed surprised that I already knew all about it. My husband laughed and said that there wasn't much that I didn't know about these things, because I spend so much time researching it. She said that she loved that I was so educated, and that they really loved having women come in that did their research, because they were able to be so much more calm, relaxed, and their labors seemed to go more smoothly. This is because you already know what to expect, and look for, and should something need to be discussed, you already understand a lot of it, and it isn't so frightening or confusing.(when in labor, everything is already enough of a blur without adding all the confusing medical talk) If you read up and educate yourself as much as possible, you will feel more confident in your abilities to labor and deliver and things will go much smoother. A calm and relaxed mother leads to a calm and relaxed baby, and a smoother labor/delivery. Not only that, but it gives you something to occupy your mind, and keep you from getting too antsy with all that waiting for morning sickness to leave, and delivery day to come. Good luck. (If you haven't gotten " what to expect when you are expecting " and also " your pregnancy, week by week" I suggest that you get these books. I relied heavily on them for both pregnancies.)

Jun 26, 2007, 05:40 AM
    Thanks everyone! I plan on going to buy those books. I took my second test this morning and it was positive. That is two positive tests so next step is make a doctor appointment. Wow, this all came in such a surprise... but a good one!
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2007, 06:21 AM
    The girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy is also a good read. And very funny might I add. Good luck!
    laurenjd Posts: 50, Reputation: 6

Jun 26, 2007, 06:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bekah876
    This is more of I have to get something off my chest then a question. My last cycle was the 28th of May, which puts me as starting today, June 24th. I have many of the classic pregnancy signs, at least from what I know this is my first time. Around day 16 or 17 of my cycle I had some cramping, which is unusual for me. My breasts are now tender and swollen and my nipples pretty much constantly hard. I have been tired and feeling "yucky" lately. Having a mixture of upset stomach and nausea and constipation. And today, around late afternoon on my lower back has been killing me, more to my left side though. I am starting to have more clear discharge and feeling wet which makes me think my period is about to come any second. I am so afraid to go to the bathroom because I don't want to see red. I just wanted to tell someone...What do you guys think? I know I should just go buy a HPT, I just want to wait and make sure. Thanks!
    Girl, go get you a pregnancy test! Trust me, I know how scary and overwhelming it can be. But you know those dollar tests work, and it only takes a couple minutes. Plus, why keep yourself in such anticipation, although those are very classic symptoms, I'd say, congratulations!!
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2007, 06:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by laurenjd
    Girl, go get you a pregnacy test! Trust me, I know how scary and overwhelming it can be. But you know those dollar tests work, and it only takes a couple minutes. Plus, why keep yourself in such anticipation, although those are very classic symptoms, I'd say, congradulations!!!
    Hun, she already said she was pregnant...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

11 weeks pregnant fetus only 6 weeks? [ 8 Answers ]

I thought I was 11 weeks pregnant, had some very light spotting and Dr. did ultrasound and said fetus was only 6 weeks?? I am almost positive there was no possibility of conception on the new date so they believe the fetus stopped growing at 6 weeks and I had a missed miscarriage. I am waiting...

Early pregnant signs [ 9 Answers ]

Can a difference in vaginal discharge(more of the milky white stuff) be an early pregnancy sign?

Am I pregnant? [ 2 Answers ]

My fiancée and I have a lot of unprotected sex - stupid I know, but there you have it. We usually use the "pull out" method although when it is close to my period, he goes inside me (also very stupid, I know) I always have very very regular periods - I mean they ALWAYS start on the same day every...

Could I be pregnant? [ 2 Answers ]

I've been trying to conceive for only a month. I ovulated on the 11th which I had unprotected sex the same day. I usually have slight cramping with ovulation but this time the cramping never went away. This is day 9 of the cramping. I have been extra emotional-- I had a full day of crying at work...

Could I be pregnant? [ 15 Answers ]

Hi. I am new to this site. Okay, trying to conceive as of Oct. 17, 2005. Went off the pill. First month had period 27 days, then got it again 20 days later, then got it again 26 days later, now it is January, and I was due the either 26 or 27 days. Nothing. So today is the 28th day, and I had some...

View more questions Search