Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janana Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2007, 03:39 PM
    Auto Repo
    What will happen if I call the loan company and tell them to come and take my car, I can't afford the payments anymore?
    gazelleintense Posts: 175, Reputation: 13

Jun 24, 2007, 04:25 PM
    Your credit will be shot. Not a big deal if you don't borrow money.

However, they will sell the car for less than its worth and you will legally owe the difference.

If you owe 20k and they sell for 10k, you will owe the balance.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 24, 2007, 04:31 PM
    yes, to make it in simple terms, if you owe 15,000 right now, and perhaps the car now used is worth about 14,000. They will come and get the car ( a repo) and they will add a fee for repo, and legal fees for doing the legal work of the repo, they will then have a auction and sell the car.
    There will be advertising fees, and more legal fees for the sale,

You can expect a repo car at a dealer auction to bring about 1/2 of its retial value, so they will get about 7,000 for the car.

So you take your 15,000 minus 7,000 plus most likely add back in about 2,000 or more in legal and repo and sale fees. You will still owe about 10,000 on this car that they will force you to make payments on.

So sell the car yourself, even if you have to borrow a little money if you can't sell it for its full value

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repo [ 3 Answers ]

How badly does a voluntary car repo effect your credit score ? And is there such a thing a voluntary repo to begin with

Attempted Repo [ 2 Answers ]

Can a repo person leave a detailed message in your front door telling you he was there to repo your vehicle? This happened to my neighbor when he wasn't home. The note told him (First and Last name) I was here to repo your 97 Chevy Lumina for the (bank's name) Payment is needed immediately or...

Repo in Colorado [ 3 Answers ]

Due to a divose I am no longer able to make the payments on my truck. I asked about voulentering to let it repo but they then seid they would put a lien on my house for the diffence. The house is for sale. Can they do this? Thanks

Repo [ 1 Answers ]

We just got our truck repo-ed. We have had it for 5 yrs paying on it and recently we were not able to make the payments so we were 75days behind. We sent in a payment last week which was returned. So, now our truck got repo-ed. When we called to see about making arrangements to get our (ex)...

Repo [ 1 Answers ]

I had my car repossed by the bank for non -=payment... the bank ( credit union) has sent me something which indicates how mucha the car was for tax purposes/.. /.. how does repo affect your income taxes?

View more questions Search