Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    airbats-goku Posts: 220, Reputation: 16

Jun 24, 2007, 02:46 PM
    My mom is facing a long convalescence after surgery
    My mom is having corneal transplant surgery in the next few months. She's having some trouble getting used to the idea of not being as independent as she normally is. The full recovery time for her surgery will likely be 1 year. 1 year with no driving. Several months without being able to read (her favorite recreation) or do much activity. Any strenuous activity could cause the stitches in her eye to tear. She thinks that all she'll be able to do is sit there in the dark and eat. She will be blind for a while but after that she will be gradually getting stronger vision. How can I help her to realise that there are other things she can do during her recovery. I thought about books on tape for her and spending time with her reading to her. My dad, nephew and I are going to be doing the housework for her and all the cooking. My dad is taking 5 weeks of holidays starting the day he takes her to Calgary for her surgery and after his time is up then I will take my 2 weeks. For her first few months there will always be someone around her. I am trying to think of things that she can do that will make her feel like she is still useful and not being a burden to us. She is not useless or a burden but that is what she seems to think. She is a person who is likely to push her limits during recovery and possibly damage her eyes by pushing too hard. Any ideas for activities would be greatly appreciated.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 24, 2007, 03:13 PM
    - listen to audiobooks from the library or as gifts
    - spend time on the treadmill or do other exercise
    - sit outdoors on a deck or patio to smell the smells and hear the birds and get fresh air
    - chat with visitors
    - talk on the phone
    - do household chores like fold clean clothes, wash dishes (have done it so many times that I wouldn't need sight)
    - help with meal preparation (peel potatoes and carrots, mix meat loaf, stir ingredients someone adds to the bowl to make brownies or cookies, etc.), frost cupcakes, drop globs of cookie dough on a cookie sheet, put cooled cookies into tins, etc.
    - touch type for email or letters
    - spend time with a pet
    - talk into a tape recorder and recall her childhood, teenage, dating, early marriage, family vacations as a kid, family parties as a kid, holiday dinners as a kid, pets she had, jobs she had as a teen or young adult, chores she did at home growing up, babysitting adventures--and begin a special collection of stories for the family archives (questions and prompting from family members would be acceptable)

There's so much we do out of habit and by touch, so I bet there's lots more she will be able to do. She certainly won't be an invalid! You will just have to be patient and give her a chance.
    airbats-goku Posts: 220, Reputation: 16

Jul 5, 2007, 07:52 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions. Its not me that thinks she will be an invalid. She thinks she will be. I'm trying to convince her otherwise.
    Kattalover Posts: 120, Reputation: 20

Jul 5, 2007, 07:57 PM
    How about asking her to tell you about her childhood, family memories, her school years, etc. so that you can write it down for future generations?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My mom and Step mom in hate! [ 6 Answers ]

My mom and step mom are not getting along. It all started with a stupid gift card! Out of all things. My card only had $3.45 on it and my brother only had $.19 on his. The cards were soposed to have $20.00 on it. My mom and step mom live one house away from each other and then they just get into...

Senior facing difficult decisions [ 4 Answers ]

I own a condo and a mobile home. Mobile was purchased out of fear when my business was lost and was having difficulties finding a job, had received a small, very small, gift from a friend who had passed away. Didn't want to allow those funds to slip through my fingers. Used the funds as a large...

Junction boxes in attic: can be facing up? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there. Can junctions boxes in an attic be facing up? Or do they need to be secured on their side, secured to a ledger board or something. Thanks! Also, is there an online source for the NEC? Thanks again.

Facing & Conquering Walls [ 3 Answers ]

I've been trying to find the walls in my life my birthday is this month you guys feel anything?

Facing court martial [ 11 Answers ]

Ok, Got it. Yes I'm an Army guy. I'm currently in Iraq nearing the end of a year-long deployment. I have been under a lot of stress and I think that's a least part of what precipitated the situation I find myself in today. I am facing a court martial for larceny that is likely to result in a...

View more questions Search