Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nico95 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2005, 10:21 PM
    1995 Dodge Spirit will not start could be ecu?
    Have a 1995 Dodge spirit. I went to start the car today and nothing happened. No clicking no starter noise nothing. THe battery looks fine (green) accessories run fine. After trying to start the car the first time and holind the ignition in to start it longer than I should have I started to see smoke coming out from the hood. I popped the hood and looed to be coming from by the battery in the area in front of the battery ( close to the ecu(computer) I have been having problems and was told by my mechanic that the computer was most likely bad and know this happened and Im wondering if its possible if the computer has caused this. Can the ecu failure cause the started not to start or solinied not to click? Im almost positive the battery is fine. 99% sure. I will double check the voltage on it tomorrow, but Im sure its fine. Especially since accessories work fine. I thought it wasodd about the smoek though and I couldn't recreate that( that's good and bad) When it smoked I did smell something burning, but never could figure were the smell came from. I took the ecu out and opened the case, Didn't see anything melted, It was tough to tell if it smelled burned in there or not. I didn't get it out for a least a hour plus later. )Had to do somehitng first) Any and all ideas are greatlly appreciated! THanks so much.
    Nick
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2005, 11:17 PM
    Yes it can be
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Jun 19, 2005, 01:24 AM
    If you were cranking the car for too long, you might have burned the wires going from the battery to the starter. A lot of electricity goes through that wire when starting the car, and if you keep it cranking for too long, heat that so much electricity causes can melt the wire. Then again, if it's still cranking - it might be something else burned... well, just my 2 cents.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2005, 09:25 PM
    If you know how to extract the trouble codes, try that. Unless you get the code for a dead ECU, likely it is OK.

Then go to https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=9924. It has some Honda specific stuff, but the basics are the same for any car. Go through them. If you don't find the problem, post back with what you did find, and we will try to help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dodge Spirit runs hot [ 11 Answers ]

My dodge spirit I bought earlier this year had no problems till a couple months ago.It runs hot very fast when I turn the air on,almost to the h.it goes halfway if not running air,I've changed the theromastat twice,radiator cap,and sensors,and relay,just recently flushed the radiator three weeks...

Dodge spirit runs hot... [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 93 Dodge Spirit, mint condition, 90,000miles. It runs hot. It has a new head gasket, new radiator, etc. What can I do to get it to run cooler? Thanks!

View more questions Search