eeseely Posts: 100, Reputation: 3

Jul 8, 2007, 11:41 AM
    When using a slide rule, try 22/7.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 8, 2007, 04:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by eeseely
    When using a slide rule, try 22/7.
    A slide rule?! Now there's some practical advice! What value do you recommend we use for pi when doing calculations on an abacus?;)

Actually, I do value the simplicity of the slide rule, and the discipline it drove in keeping your powers of 10 straight. But I suspect you and I may be only two people on this forum who have had the pleasure of suffering through Chem and Physics exams having to do calculations with a slide rule!
    eeseely Posts: 100, Reputation: 3

Jul 9, 2007, 03:21 AM
    I can't give advice re: using an abacus, but I had a lot of experience using the slide rule while obtaining my BSEE at Penn State.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A formula [ 6 Answers ]

Three-fourths of a number increased by 1 is 7. what is the number.

NE 1 know what this formula is for [ 8 Answers ]

E=2= +a+b E is Epsolon symbol B is Beta symbol It was on Treasure map from 1800's LOOK UPPER left corner area

Need a formula: [ 4 Answers ]

(This isn't homework, its part of a puzzle, and its got me stumped) I have 2 known numbers, n and z. They relate thus: n=x*y z=(x-1)*(y-1) n-z=x+y-1 I need to find x and y. Any ideas?

Formula [ 1 Answers ]

IF( and that is a big if) light were to decelerate at the rate of I 13billionth of its original velocity per year , what would be the formula for computing the distance to the most distant observable objects in the universe: FRED

View more questions Search