Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jay lillien Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2007, 03:32 AM
    Shower door installation
    I recently renovated my bathroom, and removed the bathtub and had a seat and
    Shower installed. The shower enclosure was to be a frameless 3/8" tempered glass 5ft straight run which includes a 24" door. The door was to be hinged against the wall. So the enclosure runs across the seat, down the vertical front of seat, and across the tile retaining wall.

The original problem was that the door was ordered the wrong height, so the framed polished chrome stationary section was installed, and I waited a week to get the correct door. I never checked to see if the stationary side was level. I just assumed it was.

Well, the tile wall that the door frame sits on is perfectly level, but
    The vertical stationary glass is not level. Although, It is within the two lines in
    The center of the level, but over to the right a bit.

Today, when they came back to install the door, they lined it up evenly
    Across the top of the enclosure, but at the bottom it starts 1/2" off the
    tile and at the hinged side it's 1" off the tile. The rubber sweep touches
    Bottom on one side, but there is a gap on the other side, even when I pull the sweep down as far as it goes, there's a 1/4" gap.

I believe they ordered the wrong door height, because of the gap.
    The problem is that the stationary side is also not level, so even if they
    order a slightly taller door, and level it against the wall, the gap where
    the door meets the stationary side will be uneven.

The shower door is heavy, and doesn't open easily.
    Is this because it is not perfectly level?

My installer wants to stick a rubber strip on the tile to close the gap.
    He even suggested that that last horizontal base tile be removed, and reinstalled with an
    upward pitch to close the gap.

Will a shower door that is hinged, and not level, eventually break,
    or pull away from the wall?

Should I insist that he do the complete job over again?
    I paid him in full, but he's owns a reputable company.
    He's a friend, and he gave me a good deal, but that's no excuse.
    Am I being too picky?
    I guess I really want to know that if the yellow liquid on the level falls between the two
    lines, does that fall within an acceptable range of a "leveled door"?

HELP! I CAN'T SLEEP. Please respond quickly, I'm going to call him Sunday.
    (Oh, that's today already!) If you need more information I'll get right back to you.

Thank you for your advise and help in this matter.

Sincerely,

Jay Lillien
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jun 24, 2007, 07:45 AM
    Will a shower door that is hinged, and not level, eventually break,
    Or pull away from the wall? no.

Should i insist that he do the complete job over again? I think what needs to be done is the side that is out of level needs to be redone to fit the door.
    I paid him in full, but he's owns a reputable company. Even reputable companys make mistakes, what makes them reputable is that they fix the issues quickly
    He's a friend, and he gave me a good deal, but that's no excuse.
    Am i being too picky? Friend or no friend it is your home , there are times where you can be to picky mainly when customers just don't know enough about what there talking about, but in your case your not being to picky at all.
    I guess i really want to know that if the yellow liquid on the level falls between the two
    Lines, does that fall within an acceptable range of a "leveled door"? Let me run this by you say the wall your leveling is 6ft tall. The level you use is 2ft. All the level is doing is tell you that in 2ft the wall is out this much. So with that in mind its actually triple that being out, do you follow. Now most likely he used a 4ft level. If it is not perfectly in the center it will be close to a 1/4 out of level now by the time you go a nother 2ft it may be close to a half an inch.
    So for a nother example if the 2ft level showed out a 1/4 in 2ft its actually out 3/4 of an inch.
    I will say this the people that measured the door should have noticed this from the beginning and made the door out somewhat, they are limited on how much they can cut it out of level, but they can. There are also other hinges that can be used to get the gap closers but they are very expensive because of the weight that they can carry, $100 to $150 for 1 of them, and it sounds like you need 3

Help! I can't sleep. Please respond quickly, i'm going to call him sunday.
    (oh, that's today already!) if you need more information i'll get right back to you.

Thank you for your advise and help in this matter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower door [ 3 Answers ]

Just moved into brand new condo and shower door does not close. Builder said it needed adjusting but it seems to get worse as I use it . When I release door it use to open about 1 inch now it opens on its own to about 6 inches. The builder wants to replace a plastic tube like thing at edging of...

Shower door installation [ 4 Answers ]

I built a new bathroom in my basement and am now preparing to install a shower door. The door will be installed over 12x12 ceramic tile on top of cement wonderboard. To install the track to the walls, the instructions say to drill holes through the tiles with a 5/16 mansonry drill bit. My...

Glass shower door installation problem [ 7 Answers ]

My contractor put in an entire new shower for me, including the walls, fixtures, tile, etc. There is a glass shower door between two tiled half walls (and then glass going from the half walls on up). The glass is frameless except for where the glass meets the tops of the half walls. When the...

Door installation [ 2 Answers ]

What size opening do I need in CB construction for a 3'-0 entrance door?

Shower installation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi There New here.Can anybody help me with step by step installation Of a shower (meaning heights from trap to pan). Thanks Guys

View more questions Search