Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    supakenny Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2007, 11:29 PM
    I hate student apartments. Sigh.
    Hi guys. Thank you for taking your time in order to help me.

Well this is my story...

I'm 20 year old student attending the University of Arizona. I lived in a student housing apartment for about 13 months. During winter break, my place was robbed and vandalized (In addition, the company was bought out by another company during winter break as well). Anyway, I (actually my mother hehe) paid an additional 15 dollars for insurance through the apartment each month at the beginning of our lease. I called the old company several times, and finally got through to them after 6 months, but informed that they couldn't find my paperwork that said I paid that additional 15 dollars. Do they think I'm retarted? I guess my moms been shelling out that additional 15 dollars each month for nothing. What shall I do? I just want my stuff back!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 24, 2007, 04:07 AM
    You mom will have to go back in her records and come up with proof insurance was paid. I just hope they are students running the insurance business or you will be out a lot of stuff.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 24, 2007, 04:38 AM
    Who ever paid the 15 dollars ( was that a month ) will have to provide proof of it. But I am not sure what type of insurnce this is, since only licensed insurance agents can sell real renters insurance.
    And you should have ( or your mom) should have gotten a policy in the mail. But you will have to prove you were insured, prove what you were insure for, and them sue them in court for any covered loss.

You should if this is an apartment, be buying renters insurance from a real insurance company.

But you will not get your stuff back, it is gone, long ago sold to pawn shops or at a corner gas station most likely.
    supakenny Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2007, 10:25 AM
    Thanks guys for all your input

Im sorry I forgot to add one more thing...

We started our lease in August, but decided to add that additional 15 dollars to the rent in October. She talked to a representative on the phone, asking to charge 15 dollars extra and from the on, we paid that extra. She's always been writing checks... Perhaps her checkbook could be proof? Or how much the apartment complex pulled out from the bank?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tresspassingin Apartments [ 5 Answers ]

If a landlord administers a tresspassing notice to someone in a apartment complex is that person totally prohibited to visit family that live there. Or is they prohibited from being in the community part of the complex.

Basement apartments [ 2 Answers ]

Are Basement Apaerments Legal In New York City

Apartments [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I have been working on lowering our bills. Mine got paid off but he still has about 6,000 left. We absolutely HAVE to get an apartment in June and we are afraid we could only get 2,000 or 3,000 paid off by then. Our credit scores are in the low 600's. Does anyone know the...

Puppies... *sigh*... Just a pretty face [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all! We need help. We got a puppy half teacup yorkie half shih tzu, she's about 4 months old... should she be house trained by now? Because she's not... At all. We live in an apartment, so we can't really take her out on grass, but we let her out on the balcony and hope she does her...

SIGH why should I even have a bank? [ 1 Answers ]

I've been working for years I am 20 but I can't seem to save any money every time I put money in the bank my bills seem to suck it back out it feels almost like my bank is a big safe "wallet" how can I get out of this way of life work to be broke is this the fate of just me or do other people feel...

View more questions Search