Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    the_gaticas Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jun 23, 2007, 10:41 PM
    AC hot air, light blinking
    The AC in my toyota camry starts blinking, and the air is hot. This only happens occasionally, and then all is well and AC works just fine!
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2007, 08:05 AM
    It helps to say what year Camry it is.

Jun 24, 2007, 05:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kitch428
    It helps to say what year Camry it is.
    It's a 2003. How does the year make a difference anyway?

Thanks.:o
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jun 24, 2007, 06:09 PM
    The compressor isn't cycling properly. There is a sensor on the compressor that detects if the comp is turning when there is an A/C request ( you have the HVAC system set to A/C )
    When this sensor tells the HVAC programmer module the comp isn't turning, the light will blink.
    As to why we want to know what year, some systems function differently from year to year.

Jun 24, 2007, 11:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    The compressor isn't cycling properly. There is a sensor on the compressor that detects if the comp is turning when there is an A/C request ( you have the HVAC system set to A/C )
    When this sensor tells the HVAC programmer module the comp isn't turning, the light will blink.
    As to why we want to know what year, some systems function differently from year to year.

So the sensor needs to be replaced? What is the actual part called/number? Someone suggested it could be the magnetic relay switch... is this the same thing? Thanks. :)
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2007, 03:44 PM
    Smart-alec? Why yes I am!! Look at my bio. Might tell you something! 23 years exclusively with Toyota. I have a whole library of Toyota info at my finger tips.
    I just so happen to have a technical service bulletin in front of me that could could save you mega bucks in diagnostics. It states 2003 Camry... flashing A/C light.
    You might get the rest of it when I receive an apiology. Thanks for the red box!
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jun 26, 2007, 05:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by the_gaticas
    so the sensor needs to be replaced? what is the actual part called/number? someone suggested it could be the magnetic relay switch....is this the same thing? thanx. :)
    Not likely the compressor, possibly the clutch relay for the compressor. I recommend a qualified dealer.
    What's "red box?"

Jun 26, 2007, 09:29 AM
    Smart-alec? Why yes I am!!!!!! Look at my bio. Might tell you something! 23 years exclusively with Toyota. I have a whole library of Toyota info at my finger tips.
    I just so happen to have a technical service bulletin in front of me that could could save you mega bucks in diagnostics. It states 2003 Camry......flashing A/C light.
    You might get the rest of it when I receive an apiology. Thanks for the red box!

o.k. no biggie. I didn't know anything about 'the red box'! Sorry.
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2007, 03:57 PM
    This bulletin is to provide information regarding countermeasures to the A/C magnetic
    Clutch relay for A/C light flashing (inoperative A/C) issues on some vehicles equipped with
    A magnetic clutch compressor.
    1. Locate the A/C magnetic clutch relay.
    2. Verify the part number printed on the side of the relay.
    A. If the part number is 90987–02022, please replace the relay with the
    Countermeasured relay P/N 90987–02028.
    B. If the part number does not match 90987–02022, then please diagnose problems
    By referring to the Technical Information System (TIS): applicable model year and
    Vehicle Repair Manual: Air Conditioning: Troubleshooting

This relay is located under the hood in the fuse and relay box. It's labeled "MAG CLUTCH" You can replace it yourself no biggie and will cost you around 62 bucks.
    Enjoy the summer in cool comfort. :)

Jun 26, 2007, 06:25 PM
    This bulletin is to provide information regarding countermeasures to the A/C magnetic
    clutch relay for A/C light flashing (inoperative A/C) issues on some vehicles equipped with
    a magnetic clutch compressor.
    countermeasured relay P/N 90987–02028.
    by referring to the Technical Information System (TIS): applicable model year and
    vehicle Repair Manual: Air Conditioning: Troubleshooting

This relay is located under the hood in the fuse and relay box. It's labeled "MAG CLUTCH" You can replace it yourself no biggie and will cost you around 62 bucks.
    Thanks, thanks, thanks! I'm sure you just saved me a lot of money. I'll get it done.
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2007, 08:17 PM
    For those who don't know, or who may be wandering through, when you click on rate this answer, agreeing will give the poster points and a green box in their profile.
    Disagreeing will give the red box. Basically it's all bogus, but hey, we all have to be a winner at something :D
    Tony B Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2007, 01:35 PM
    Thanks for all the good advice here.

I too have a 03 Camry with the blinking ac light problem.

I located the relay and it did have the correct part # listed here, I changed it ($70.00) but the problem is still there.

Boy was I bummed out, I though for sure that was the problem.

Here's a little more info on my problem:

The blinking ac light/no ac problem started a couple months ago and would come and go. The ac would blow consistent cool air when it did work. I had the pressure checked and all is well. When the problem would come, I would just turn the ac off by turning the blower to off, then on again and when that wouldn't work, I would turn the car off, then restart (with the ac on).

Now nothing works.

I had the car in the shop to replace a wheel bearing and they checked for the ac problem, but wouldn't you know it, the ac light never blinked for them to hook up the computer to it. They told me that it has to blink so the computer can tell them where to look.

We went on vacation to San Antonio, and sure enough, the ac went out. Just what I thought would happen.

I wonder what else could be the problem. It would be nice if it were something else easy to fix.
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2007, 07:46 PM
    I would return that relay and try another one. It's always possible to get a faulty part right out of the box. Be 100% sure that was the correct location of the a/c relay. (there's a lot that look alike in there)
    Look for a very worn serpentine drive belt that could be slipping when clutch engages. Also, pay close attn to the compressor clutch when it engages and look for a lazy start to it's rotation, or visibly a lot of rust color around it.

Jul 4, 2007, 09:57 PM
    I got the relay through my cousins' tire/car care shop. ( he doesn't normally have to buy parts like this)

He's going to to wait till next week and tell the place where he bought it that the customer didn't come to pick it up so he can get his money back (so I don't have to pay for it) He can't mention that I tried it, they might not take it back.

What I could do is find another Camry with that same relay part number and try that relay, (my wife's nephew has one)

I know the guy that I took the car to to change the wheel bearings, so I don't think he would screw me, but would like to see if there was something I could do before having to bite the bullet.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

Jul 6, 2007, 07:51 AM
    Update: I went to my wife's nephews and tried his 03 Camry relay and it worked!

Turns out I had the wrong location the first time and found the right relay (it was tannish color).

My cousin still has the relay, and it is the correct number as per the post earlier, but the new relay is blue. I don't imaging that making a difference.

Ahhh, looking forward to a cool summer!

Thanks,
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2007, 03:21 PM
    Cool! (pun intended)
    Bubblehead44 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2009, 12:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kitch428 View Post
    clutch relay for A/C light flashing (inoperative A/C) issues on some vehicles equipped with
    a magnetic clutch compressor.
    countermeasured relay P/N 90987–02028.
    by referring to the Technical Information System (TIS): applicable model year and
    vehicle Repair Manual: Air Conditioning: Troubleshooting

Hey Kitch428, this is perfect. My wife has been on me for a week or so and I had no idea of what to do. I am running to the Toyota Dealership right now to get the new relay. I just wanted to tell you thank you! Even if you are a smart alec! Thanks again!
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2009, 02:11 PM
    Page 22 of this pdf file will show proper location.
    Relay_Locations.pdf
    camry fan Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Mar 30, 2012, 05:33 AM
    I know I am about 5 yrs late, but THANK YOU Lone Wrencher. My 2003 Camry with 193000 miles has just started flashing the A/C light. Cabin filter has been changed. I am going to get the MG/CLT relay today if I can find it at the autoparts store.
    Love this car, has been almost maintenance free.
    Really appreciate free advice!
    golfman1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2012, 12:01 PM
    Thank you for your expertise. I had already tried with 90987-02022 equivalent parts that did not get my job done. The car would not manintain an idle. I have ordered the 020228 and will try that this evening. Should I have the car running and diconnect the battery... change the part... then reconnect the battery? OR Is the aanother process I should follow. Thanks again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blinking 'normal wash' light on kenmore dishwasher 665.17363301 [ 7 Answers ]

Model #: 665.17363301 This morning the 'normal wash' light started blinking and the dishwasher will not respond. I've turned the power off and on and it returns to the blinking light. The only other button that does anything (though not consistently) is the 'cancel/drain' button that when pushed...

Hard drive blinking yellow light [ 2 Answers ]

My hard drive is blinking yellow light

Light on tower blinking yellow light [ 1 Answers ]

My power light on my tower is blinking yellow

Don't get the blinking light on the ECU [ 18 Answers ]

Hello, Hopefully some one can shed some light on this. Well I was driving out of my parking lot and my car back fired and shut down on me. I have not been able to start it since, that was a week ago. The engine turns but doesn't fire. I found my ECU, I turned the key one click and I see no...

Blinking power light [ 1 Answers ]

I recently replaced the power supply on my computer. Now whenever I shut the computer down the power indicator light located on the front of the tower will blink rapidly followed by a clicking sound. Can anyone tell me what the problem id

View more questions Search