Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    missemily Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2007, 09:14 AM
    Roommate bails on Lease
    I am wondering what legal action can be taken against a roommate who has bailed on the lease. Both names are on the lease and I do not want to have bad credit as a result of their stupidity. I am wondering if there is any way I can legally get the money out of them to help cancel the lease. At the place we live in MN we can cancel the lease which is what I am looking into now just to get out of this mess.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jun 23, 2007, 09:17 AM
    First work out something with the landlord to get yourself out of the lease. Once you know what it's going to cost you, file a lawsuit against your former roommate for their share. Make sure you sue for any payments you made on their behalf and also for their half of any damages that might be withheld from the security deposit.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 23, 2007, 09:20 AM
    The landlord doesn't care who or which person pays as long as someone pays. If your rooomate bails you are on the hook but could sue the RM in small claims. I'm surprised you have an option to cancel your lease. Are you sure about this and is there any catch to this? Usually you pay until the unit is rerented and that can be some time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roommate never got on lease, now won't leave [ 15 Answers ]

I live in Berks county, PA. My roommate and I agreed to share an apt. beginning Oct. 2006. I signed lease but she needed co-signers to get on the lease and promised that she would. She has since then not gotten on the lease and has become an intolerable, irresponsible and violent roommate. I...

Kicking out a roommate not on lease [ 2 Answers ]

Me and my best friend moved into a huge house together. We moved in one of our good friends and things have just not worked out. Her boyfriend moved in and stole from us, we had to call the cops on her for attacking us. We told her that since her boyfriend moved in (for 2 months now) that they...

Roommate not on lease needs to go! [ 10 Answers ]

What are my grounds on kicking my roommates girlfriend out of my house if she is not on the lease?

Roommate not on lease causing trouble [ 3 Answers ]

I live in a townhome in Florida with two other girls, one of whom signed a lease with me and a third who is not on the lease. This third roommate moved out in November after paying rent for December. However, she did not pay utilities for the month of December. It is now the end of the month and...

My cat IS on the lease but my roommate wants it gone! [ 20 Answers ]

I just moved into an apt 3 weeks ago. It's a 2bdrm roommate situation. The landlord let the other roommate advertise and choose the person she would be living with (me!). Her ad said "pets are allowed but need to be discussed." We discussed my cat and how attached I am and that I would only take...

View more questions Search