shilo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2003, 09:10 PM
    Reformating my hard drive. Help Needed ASAP
    Hello,

I am running Windows 98.

I need to reformat my hard drive now.

I've tried everything...

My question is...

First, I have all my document now backed up on a cd rom.

Do I have to pack up anything else?

Are there any things I need to be very careful of when I reformat my drive.

I'm assuming that the hard drive will be wiped clean. Then I install my set up diskette and my CDRom for Windows 98 and then my Microsoft Suite Software and then my virus and other programs.

My technical store said I could try it myself. He said there is nothing that I could do to damage it... If I can't do it, they will do it for me.

Any help will be appreciated.

[email protected]

Thank you very very very much.
    tech22 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2003, 10:14 AM
    Use dos and type format "drive you want to format such as" "format c:\"

As long as you have your documents backed up then you won't lose any of you documents.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 23, 2003, 09:25 AM
    The first step is to make sure you have installation disks for all your software including Windows and drivers disks for all your hardware. The next step is to make sure you have the Windows Startup floppy or a bootable floppy that will read your CD drive. You can make the floppy under Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs. You also need FDISK and FORMAT on that floppy.

Once you are prepared you boot from the floppy and run FDISK and run SETUP from the CD. You may need to Format the drive first. In which case you run FORMAT C: /S from the floppy.
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Dec 6, 2004, 09:57 AM
    There is a FREE download that explains the exact format/reinstall procedure on the "Products" page at the link below. Just click on free downloads and then "PC Repair Manual for Windows 98/98SE/ME".
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2004, 01:12 PM
    Formatting for Win98/98SE
    Hi,
    The very first thing to do it make a Boot Floppy Disk:

Here are steps to make one:

Insert the Win98/98SE CD in the CD-ROM drive.
    Go to Start/Programs/Windows Explorer
    Double click on D:/ , if that is your CD-ROM drive letter.
    Find and open the folder; Tools/Mtsutil/Fat32ebd (stands for Emergency Boot Disk)
    Double click on the file Fat32ebd.exe and follow the instructions to create the Boot Disk.
    Then remove the CD from the CD-ROM.

Now, we must test the Boot Disk to see if it works.
    Shut down the computer; then turn it back on with the Boot Disk still in the computer.
    When a screen comes up, use the up and down arrows on the keyboard to select "Boot with CD-ROM support". Then press Enter.
    It will show some things about the computer, and then come up to the A:> prompt.
    Now, insert a CD (any will do) into the CD-ROM.
    Wait until it "spins" and the light goes off.
    Now, at the A:> prompt, type in DIR D:
    It will now look like A:>DIR D:
    It should show all the files on the CD.
    If so, the Boot Disk is good. If NOT, repeat all the above.
    If it's good, then remove the CD, manually turn off the computer, and remove the Boot Disk. Turn on the computer and it's ready to go.

Now, to Format; here are steps to do the FDISK, and then the Format:

Turn off the computer.
    Insert the Boot Floppy Disk into the Floppy Drive (A Drive), then turn on the computer.

Wait until it comes up to the A:> prompt.
    We must do do an "FDISK", which will delete and re-create a DOS partition for the Full Version.

At the A:\ prompt Type: FDISK and press ENTER.
    Press ENTER to select Large Disk Support.
    Select Option 3, Delete partition or Logical DOS drive. (whatever option # this is)
    Select Extended Partion, then
    Delete Extended partition.
    Select delete Primary DOS Partition.
    Press ESC.
    Select Create Primary DOS Partition.
    Choose Yes to use maximum size.(100%)
    Press ENTER when prompted for a Volume Label.
    When Back at the FDISK Menu, select Set Active Partition.
    Press ESC on the keyboard.

Now, if you wish to format the hard drive, then:
    Re-boot and,
    At the A:> prompt, type in FORMAT C: /S
    It will look like A:>FORMAT C: /S
    (The /S will copy system files to the harddrive).
    When it finishes formatting, then go to the next steps.

Be sure you have all the install CD's for your printer, scanner, sound, etc, Word, etc... You will have to re-install everything.

Best wishes,
    fredg
    kelly1969 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2005, 08:57 PM
    I need help please
    i'm having trouble with my computer it keep's showing fatal errors and freezing up
    i want to reformat i'm running windows 98 2nd edition and i don't have the disc my mom in law has it is it safe to install windows 95 instead i have the disc?
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Jan 15, 2005, 11:05 AM
    No, you cannot install windows 95 on a machine that has windows 98 on it, but you can download the free manual at the site below that explains how to reinstall windows without the use of a Windows CD by using the .cab files stored on the hard drive. Assuming the .cab files were in fact stored on the hard drive by the PC builder.

Jan 15, 2005, 05:18 PM
    Thank you very much
    Quote Originally Posted by cremedies
    No, you cannot install windows 95 on a machine that has windows 98 on it, but you can download the free manual at the site below that explains how to reinstall windows without the use of a Windows CD by using the .cab files stored on the hard drive. Assuming the .cab files were in fact stored on the hard drive by the PC builder.
    Thank you for the information I will go check it out

Jan 15, 2005, 06:03 PM
    Help please
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly1969
    thank you for the information i will go check it out
    I can't see where I need to go to down load it for free can you tell me how to?
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Jan 16, 2005, 06:23 AM
    Win 95
    I hope I'm not missing something on this discussion,but Why not visit http://www.dewassoc.com/support/useful/boot_disks.htm and download the boot disc? Copy it to floppy disc,and use this in tandem with your Win 95 cd.
    Make sure you get the right one.It has to be one of those on the site list.
    All the best,
    Nez :)

Jan 16, 2005, 03:56 PM
    Can I use window's 95?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nez
    I hope I'm not missing something on this discussion,but Why not visit http://www.dewassoc.com/support/useful/boot_disks.htm and download the boot disc? Copy it to floppy disc,and use this in tandem with your Win 95 cd.
    Make sure you get the right one.It has to be one of those on the site list.
    All the best,
    Is there a way I can take window's 98 totally off my computer and install window's 95?
    If so, please let me know how to
    Thank's

Jan 16, 2005, 04:06 PM
    Not sure
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly1969
    is there a way i can take window's 98 totally off my computer and install window's 95?
    if so, please let me know how to
    thank's
    I have a window's 95 cd-rom setup boot disk
    Is that what I can use?
    Or do I have to down load a different one?
    I'm totally lost here.

My mom in law think's my computer is crashing so, I'm not sure what will help
    I think I need to reformat but, I would like to start all over with window's 95 if I can.
    Any help is great
    Thanks

Jan 16, 2005, 05:33 PM
    Win 95 boot disc
    Lets start again,and don't panic.Take your time.You should have 1 CD Rom disc,which will have Windows 95 on it,and 1 Floppy disc,which will have all the load/startup files on it.Place just the floppy disc into your floppy drive.This is called the 'A' drive.Reboot your PC,and at the prompt request,i.e. when your PC has rebooted and is waiting for you to input info.type A:>fdisk.Then press enter on your keyboard.Wait for a response,then on the keyboard,on the bottom row,press Alt+Ctrl+Del together.A bit fiddly,but really it's easy.At the prompt,it's A:\>format c:/s then press enter on the keyboard.Your PC will then go through the motions,and format your hard drive.If it reboots after all this,OR even if it doesn't,at the next prompt,type D:\>setup
    Next press enter on your keyboard.Your PC will then start to load the win95 set up files.Whilst it's doing so,place your Win 95 CD in your Rom drive,and follow all instructions carefully.If something goes wrong,let me know,and I'l try to walk you through it.Above all,don't panic,and you won't go wrong.
    Having a new PC can be both brilliant,and annoying,but once everything is up and running correctly,it is a sheer joy.
    Then all you have to worry about is installing anti virus software,spyware,and adware protection.But you can cross that bridge at a later date.
    All the best,and good luck.

Jan 16, 2005, 07:08 PM
    Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Nez
    Lets start again,and dont panic.Take your time.You should have 1 CD Rom disc,which will have Windows 95 on it,and 1 Floppy disc,which will have all the load/startup files on it.Place just the floppy disc into your floppy drive.This is called the 'A' drive.Reboot your PC,and at the prompt request,ie when your PC has rebooted and is waiting for you to input info.type A:>fdisk.Then press enter on your keyboard.Wait for a responce,then on the keyboard,on the bottom row,press Alt+Ctrl+Del together.A bit fiddly,but really it's easy.At the prompt,it's A:\>format c:/s then press enter on the keyboard.Your PC will then go through the motions,and format your hard drive.If it reboots after all this,OR even if it does'nt,at the next prompt,type D:\>setup
    Next press enter on your keyboard.Your PC will then start to load the win95 set up files.Whilst it's doing so,place your Win 95 CD in your Rom drive,and follow all instructions carefully.If something goes wrong,let me know,and I'l try to walk you through it.Above all,dont panic,and you wont go wrong.
    Having a new PC can be both brilliant,and annoying,but once everything is up and running correctly,it is a sheer joy.
    Then all you have to worry about is installing anti virus software,spyware,and adware protection.But you can cross that bridge at a later date.
    All the best,and good luck.
    OK thank you for your help

Jan 21, 2005, 06:57 AM
    Bootlog examiner
    Whilst on the subject of installing Windows 95/98 SE/ME there is a program called Bootlog Examiner which is (site quote) "used to determine to troubleshoot Win 95/98/ME bootup process and help determine what is delaying the boot process (if any)" (un quote).
    The link is http://www.blueorbsoft.com/ble/index.html

Might be of use to someone ;)

NOT for Win 2000 or XP!

All the best,
    Nez.
    john3764 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2005, 09:53 PM
    Virus is prohibiting me from formating hard drive
    I seem to have a rather stubborn virus that will not alow me to format my hard drive, is this possible? I'm so sick of viruses! We need to capture all of these people who are writing these damn things, strap them on the ground face up and take turns ting in their mouths until they are buried in .
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Oct 6, 2005, 08:56 AM
    John, interesting approach to the virus writers!

I'm not sure of your experience level, do you know how to re-partition your hard drive. More importantly, have you backed up? Also, what operating system are you looking to install once formatted?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 6, 2005, 09:26 AM
    John,
    While I sympathize with your ire against virus writers, this board is open to all ages and I suggest you tone down your language a bit.

Virus issues are not hardware issues (neither is formatting). I would suggest that you start a new post (rather then piggyback on an old one) that explains exactly how you are trying to reformat and what happens when you try. And that you post in the Computer Security category.

Include info about what version of Windows, what A/V you use etc.
    john3764 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2005, 11:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by StuMegu
    John, interesting approach to the virus writers!

I'm not sure of your experience level, do you know how to re-partition your hard drive. More importantly, have you backed up? Also, what operating system are you looking to install once formatted?

Actully I fixed the problem. It was a bit ironic. What was keeping me from reformatting the hard drive was the virus warning enabled in the BIOS. Here I am complaining about viruses and it was the boot sector virus protection protocol in the BIOS. I simply disabled it and off I went.

John
    AznxDragonx2 Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Nov 26, 2005, 07:00 PM
    Where are you guys getting these floppy disc. I just back up all of my document I want. Then I put my window xp cd in and reboot. Then I go to my bios and put boot from a cd. Then it will boot from my window xp cd and it will ask me do I want to make a fresh copy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Reformating hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to reformat my hard drive. When I type format c: I get bad command or file name response. What can I do?

Hard Disk Space --- ASAP [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 8GB hard drive (C drive). But when I format it it shows only 16MB. When I do Fdisk then it does show me the partition of 8676MB. I cannot install window98 because it says not enough space. Can some one tell me where is the problem and how to rectify Thanks

Reformating my hard drive 1/17/2003 [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am running Windows 98. I need to reformat my hard drive now. I've tried everything... My question is...

View more questions Search