Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lizzie177 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2007, 02:38 PM
    Dirty gravel
    Hello. I have four guppies in my 10 gallon tank that I got about 3 months ago. I have noticed that the gravel is very dirty and looks dusty even though I have cleaned it a few times with a gravel vacuum. What is the problem and how should I solve it? Am I feeding them too much? I don't like to see it dirt, so if you have any suggestions please tell me:)
    Lizzie:D
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 22, 2007, 04:04 PM
    I ran into this the other day while at a client's house. She said she wanted to get gravel or something, rocks, for the bottom of this little goldfish bowl, meanwhile it is the dirtiest water I have ever seen. Mainly because it is hot in there and the waste material from the one fish is polluting and getting cooked.

I said, I wouldn't do that because the way she keeps the bowl (disgusting) will only get worse and she will have to wash the stones she puts in the bottom as well as change the water more. Which, I can't see her doing either. So, my point is, you have to wash the material you put on the bottom from time to time, plus if you put it in the first time, it has to be washed thoroughly of organic matter and dust.

My answer. I hate dirty goldfish bowls. I won't even go into the post on 'silky' which I got shot down for because it was actually a dog post and there was no mention of dog, eh, labman. So, my dear labman, report me for this one too.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2007, 04:35 PM
    Try to take 1/3 of the water out and replace it once you have sucked the scum off the bottom. Make sure your filter does not need changing. Feed your guppies only what they can eat in a minute or 2, watch them to make sure they eat it all, if not cut back on the amount I would feed them twice a day. Tickle is right gold fish poo a lot and need their bowls cleaned daily. Get you a book on guppies or at the very least pick a pet stores employees brain, if you have males and females you will have lots of babies :)
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2007, 10:59 PM
    Lizzie, I'm sorry I was out of town and didn't get to your question soon enough.
    You have a 10 gal aquarium and I'm guessing a hang on back filter? And you've cleaned the gravel to remove debris but the problem is still existing...
    I don't really recommend cleaning gravel very often (when a filter is in use) because it removes too much of the good bacteria that helps keep your tank cycled.
    Good bacteria live in the gravel and filter.
    To me, it sounds like you have a diatom issue hear.
    If you'd like me to help you sort it out, I'd be more than happy to help you with this. Just let me know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How many tons of pea gravel... [ 6 Answers ]

do you need to fill a 30x35 area to a depth of 7 inches? And 9 inches? Or how would I figure it out?

Need to pour gravel for a section of driveway [ 2 Answers ]

How large of area will 6 tons of 1" gravel cover ?

Dirty little secret? [ 5 Answers ]

I've got and issue with my son's father... First let me get you up to speed, so you'll understand what's going on here: He and I dated a short time and broke up... a month or 2 later I found out I was pregnant... he wanted to get back together and get married when I told him no, but that we...

Dirty ua for probation [ 5 Answers ]

I had an appointment last week to see my p.o. but I'm dirty and didn't go. He came to my house when I "wasn't" home and told my girl to tell me come in tomorrow at 1 p.m. I'm not off to a good start with him. What might I expect tomorrow?

Dirty cat [ 2 Answers ]

I very recently took in a 6 year-old cat from someone moving out of the country. As the old owner left the cat, they gave an offhand warning that the cat wasn't good about cleaning his rear after pooping (this is a tailess cat which I've been told makes a difference). Hah! This cat uses the...

View more questions Search