Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    badsweetsouth Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2007, 11:35 AM
    Child support
    Can adult take a parent to court for the unpaid child support even though he/she is an adult? If so , is there a certain amount of time to do so?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 22, 2007, 12:18 PM
    It depends on the circumstance, but it certainly is possible for the adult child to sue the parent over unpaid support. Whether you will win or not depends on a number of factors.
    nya Posts: 55, Reputation: 8

Jun 22, 2007, 03:28 PM
    Here in Florida there is no time limit for a mother to sue for back child support which are called arrears. Even if the child is over 18 yrs old. I just recently had a lady come into my office and her oldest child was 32 yrs old. She was owed arrears in excess of $20,000.00 We will help her enforce her order to collect on the arrears that are owed to her. There is absolutely no time limit to collect arrears from child support as long as the child support order was signed by a judge and the arrears have been determined after the last child turned 18.
    badsweetsouth Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2007, 05:52 PM
    What kind of circumstances? Thank you for answering me?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2007, 07:06 AM
    Hello bad:

I believe the legal view is that child support belongs to the parent who the support was supposed to be paid to, not the child. Therefore, I don't think you've got a case.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 23, 2007, 07:07 AM
    The child can not take the parent back to court, only the other parent can.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Give up rights to a child--still pay child support? [ 11 Answers ]

I live in Florida and have a question about giving up the rights to a child that has been determined by DNA testing. If rights are given up, does that parent still have to pay child support?

Ex-Wife not paying child support of seeing the child [ 10 Answers ]

We just recently got the divorce final my I got custody and she is suppose to have visitation every other weekend she will pick her up Friday and drop her off Saturday. She was suppose to take her for the whole month of June and July but said she cannot because she has no one to watch her. She...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

No child support in year don't want ex to be involved with child. [ 3 Answers ]

My ex has not paid any child support in 1 year. I did not take him to court. I really don't want him to be involved with the child because he has uncontroled mental illness. What rights does he have? My new husband wants to adupt him well that be possible and how? Do I have any rights that well...

View more questions Search