Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tessy777 Posts: 191, Reputation: 37
    -

Jul 14, 2007, 09:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    Like I said, I was sure you would have a reason for excusing the action. It's another example of that "blind faith" which is so foreign to me. At least you admit that to an atheist, your line of reasoning sounds unreasonable. That's more than many Christians (especially those on this site!) would give.
    Actually Jill, I don't have a reason. I make NO EXCUSES for God. How could I? He is God and I am not. I simply said, He is sovereign. I post this all the time... I believe that man hates the sovereignty of God. It ticks him off... or "strings his bean" if you will. I don't consider my faith blind I just think it is faith.
    -

Jul 14, 2007, 10:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    "My only point is that why would someone want to continue to post on a Christianity Forum if they are athiests. If they don't believe in God, I was just thinking they may believe in the dirty devil."
    Good question by "Pop-my Cork". I'll answer it as best I can. I post on a Christian site because your-alls world is so black and white. The bible said it! I believe it, ect" No room foir question or any kind of discussion, unless it agrees with scripture. You all have so many off-the -wall beliefs. One expert on this board informed me, in all seriousness , that the earth was only less the 6000 years old and the dinosaur bones were placed there by the devil to confuse us. Now, who can resist tossing a few "zingers" into a flat statement such as that? People like popover are fun to tweek. In short you "fundies" (and you know who you are) put the FUN in Fundamentalism
    I would post over on "The Dirty Devil Board" except fundies are much more fun to play with. Ya want " Absolute Truth" ?? Here goes mine, " religion began when the first priest met the first fool." Now THERE'S absolute truth!!!
    Speedy.

I agree. I do put FUN in fundamentalism. But in all fairness, I personally never said that the earth was 6,000 years old. I asked what Christians thought of that idea? The person that thinks Satan put the dinosaur bones around to confuse us... said that was HIS opinion and He KNEW that HIS opinion wasn't shared by most here. Are there goofy things said in here? Yes. I certainly do not agree with every Christian on this board. But we aren't ALL goof balls. I am a fundie who believes in absolute truth. Am I offended because you don't? NO. you told me once what a happy life you live. We all get ticked sometimes.. I know I do. But if I go back and read your posts.. I got to tell you speedy for a happy guy.. you sure do sound bitter and angry. I know, I know... you want to blame it on all the "fundies" that you have encounter in your life. The ones that you put in jail. The ones that screamed at the women going into abortion clinics. Well, I'm a Christian. I don't picket abortion clinics, and I'm NOT stupid and I AM a fundie. Was there a question you had?. something you wanted to discuss? Or are you here to be just to be nasty?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2007, 11:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tessy777
    Jill,

I have to admit...i don't understand the beliefs of an atheist. Do you believe there is a God and you just really don't like Him? or...do you believe that He doesn't exist?
    Atheism, by definition, is the disbelief in the existence of God or gods.

Agnosticism, which I myself identify better with, is the belief that the existence of a God is unknowable.
    Maybe I should say that I have a little apatheism thrown in too, the belief that the question of the existence of a God is unimportant.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2007, 05:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    Maybe I should say that I have a little apatheism thrown in too, the belief that the question of the existence of a God is unimportant.
    Yes. Too often it's a convenient cop-out to obsess over the unanswerable questions--Is there a God? What happens after death?--instead of more practical ones like What should I do next? Or How can I get along better with the difficult people in my life? Some people seem to think that the more practical questions of life can't be properly answered without reference to God and the afterlife, but I suspect that most of them haven't really tried to do it. My experience has been that it isn't really so hard, and it gets easier with practice.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 15, 2007, 05:59 AM
    "I have to admit...i don't understand the beliefs of an atheist. Do you believe there is a God and you just really don't like Him? or...do you believe that He doesn't exist?"

Tessy,
    We don't use the word "belief" Too much. We prefer facts and proof. It's not that we acknowledge your god and just don't like him. We just can't see much difference between your god and the earlier gods from other mystery religions. There's just as much proof for one as the other. And, unlike some christians on this page, we don't wish to proselytize atheism, we are athiests, not anti-thiests. We don't care what you believe. Just don'
    T attempt to jam your particular belief system down our throats and tell us we're going to "burn in hell" unless we believe as you do.
    I confess, thirteen years of "tweeking" blue-nosed, tight a$$ed protesters has conditioned me to push back when someone testifies to me without me asking. Poppa was just too vigorous in his proselytizing for me not to jump in and have a little fun at his expense. Sorry pop-up, but your nose was just too blue not to tweek it a little. I'll be leaving now. Having fun over here has kept me from more important tasks on this site. It's been fun, don't take anything I've said personally and Poppa, for Gods sake lighten up a little and smile more! Peace and happiness be with you all! Tom
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2007, 06:59 AM
    Hello Hope:

There ain't no god. When you die, the worms go all inside your nose.

excon
    -

Jul 15, 2007, 07:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello Hope:

There ain't no god. When you die, the worms go all inside your nose.

excon
    Excon,

I agree our bodies do get worms in them. I THINK she was referring to the soul though.

Tessy

P.S. what's the matter? You not getting enough attention from the "right wingers" on the political boards? You sure you want to come in and discuss Christianity. I got to warn you... you may leave a little bloody and bruised. Lol ;)
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2007, 09:18 AM
    Tessy the other atheists have pretty well answered your question about what atheism is. I think it's important to reiterate what speed said, however, that we aren't anti-theist (well, I'm not, there are some who are), but just simply don't believe in the "magic man in the sky". Or the magic man who lives in the volcano, or the rain god, or the wind god, or the... well, I think you get the point. I think Cap and Ordinary also touched on something important - there are other things more important to worry about than the existence of god. I'm sure that's very hard for you to wrap your head around since you believe your eternal soul is at stake, but imagine for a second your soul is NOT at stake. Imagine this life is all you get - suddenly other things are more important.
    -

Jul 15, 2007, 09:47 AM
    Jill,

I know there are important things in this world. As hard as you find THIS to believe... my head wraps around that concept REAL good. Being a Christain doesn't make me stupid, nor am I not well rounded in my personal life. (I DO care about MY eternal destiny though on account of the eternal part being a longer period. ) I actually care about a wide variety of things. And on occasion, I have been known to wander off this board and hit some other topics. Scary as THAT may sound.. LOL. Mighty thoughtful of you to remind me though.;)
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2007, 11:40 AM
    Tessy I didn't mean for that to sound patronizing. I said that because it has been my experience with many people of faith that they cannot possibly imagine anything being MORE IMPORTANT than the fate of their eternal soul. I didn't mean to indicate you are unintelligent, or that the ONLY thing you care about in the world is getting into heaven. Give me a break, I'm not that crass! My point was it might be difficult for you to see that there are things MORE IMPORTANT than where your soul goes, given that you believe in heave/hell for eternity. You say yourself that you care about it because it's for eternity, which indicates it is of utmost importance to you. To an atheist, it doesn't even rank. That was my point.
    poppa0777 Posts: 104, Reputation: 11

Jul 15, 2007, 12:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tessy777
    Excon,

I agree our bodies do get worms in them. I THINK she was referring to the soul though.

Tessy

P.S. whats the matter? you not getting enough attention from the "right wingers" on the political boards? You sure you want to come in and discuss Christianity. I gotta warn ya...you may leave a little bloody and bruised. lol ;)
    Excon,
    If you are an ex-con, I'm sorry you didn't benefit from your incarceration. But at least you are being honest about looking for trouble. On this forum, we Christians will tell you the truth from the Word of God. I understand that you do not believe vin God, but bI'm glad that does not change the fact that He reigns Supreme, the Ruler of the universe
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2007, 01:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa0777
    I'm sorry you didn't benefit from your incarceration.
    Hello poppa:

Isn't there some Christian thing about not casting the first stone?? Hmmm. Looks like I know more about Christianity than you do. Isn't that sumpthin?

excon
    -

Jul 15, 2007, 05:32 PM
    Hello poppa:

Isn't there some Christian thing about not casting the first stone???? Hmmm. Looks like I know more about Christianity than you do. Isn't that sumpthin??

excon

Steve,

THAT is exactly what Jesus said. One of my very favorite stories in the gospels. I KNOW you already know this but I will say it anyway... I was just eggin you on a bit with the bloody and bruised thing. You already know I'm a "right winger" but I'm not comfortable enough debating politics with you... but Christianity?. I can hold my own and you know it! So I guess what I was trying to say is... hit me with your best shot! I dare you... ;)

Tess
    poppa0777 Posts: 104, Reputation: 11

Jul 16, 2007, 03:44 PM
    Hello poppa:

Isn't there some Christian thing about not casting the first stone???? Hmmm. Looks like I know more about Christianity than you do. Isn't that sumpthin??

excon
    EXCON,
    I took the time to read your profile, and if what you said is true about your many incarcerations, how do you figure I was "casting stones"? I only referred to what you already said. It sounds like you have far too much time on your hands. :)
    Your assertion that you are up to the challenge on knowing about Christianity... I will only advise that you get it out of your head and into your heart... and you'll never have to worry about being incarcerated again. Make sense? If there's ever any way I can help you, please let me know.
    Love in Christ,
    Poppa:)
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2007, 03:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa0777
    and if what you said is true about your many incarcerations, how do you figure I was "casting stones"? I only referred to what you already said.
    Hello again poppa:

I said I was incarcerated. You said it failed. Not the same thing. Not even close. One's a fact. One's a judgment. Big difference. You insulted me, and now you deny it.

Boy oh, boy - throwing stones and then lying about it. Not only do I KNOW more about Christianity than you, I am a BETTER Christian than you - and I'm an atheist.

excon
    Mario3 Posts: 65, Reputation: 4
    -

Jul 16, 2007, 04:15 PM
    When we die we go some place where we can haunt the living daylights out of people
    Mario3 Posts: 65, Reputation: 4
    -

Jul 16, 2007, 04:17 PM
    Tessy, why do christian nuns only wear black from head to toe? Why can't they show their hair or their legs or their arms? Why does Jesus's mom always have her hair covered?
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2007, 04:22 PM
    I will only advise that you get it out of your head and into your heart... and you'll never have to worry about being incarcerated again.
    Because there are no Christians in jail?
    PixieMama Posts: 68, Reputation: 8

Jul 16, 2007, 05:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    Great question, Tessy, and one I'm more than happy to answer.

My "bean is strung" because passages like that one indicate god is NOT forgiving or loving (at least not all the time). That particular passage, if I'm correct, has god sending bears to kill a group of teens (the versions I read don't specify teen, but maybe I haven't looked closely enough) because they made fun of someone. To me, it doesn't matter WHO they made fun of; they were ripped apart by bears for childish behavior instead of being taught that that behavior is inappropriate and hurtful. I'm sure in your youth (and perhaps adulthood) you have made fun of someone. How horrible would it be if a bear ripped your brain out of your nose because of youthful indiscretion, at god's hand? When this passage was pointed out to my husband's coworker, he said, "They were wicked, they deserved it." I was appalled! How can someone who preaches love, acceptance, tolerance and so on say that a child deserved to be MAULED BY A BEAR?

There are many passages in the bible which have god doing horrible things, yet people of faith profess how wonderful he is. I find it contradictory to say he is so great when he commits such atrocities. I use the "bear passage" as an example, and it's also a little funny, when you think about it (at least in the cartoon way I picture it in my head). I'm sure you have a reason excusing the actions I have a problem with, but that's what I find so fascinating about people with faith - they will "turn the other cheek" for god when if anyone else did such a thing, that individual would be condemed and on their way to hell.

So all in all, there are a lot of things in the bible I don't understand, and I have a hard time seeing how a reasonable person can follow someone/something which has done so many terrible things. I guess I don't think "the good outweighs the bad" or "the ends justify the means" in this case.

I have a whole list of passages which confuse me and make me say, "How can anyone put their faith into this?"

My husband and I have had similar discussions when discussing the subject of religion. It makes their god out to be something to be feared that if you piss HIM off, you had better watch out. What? Does that make me more compassionate then the christian god being that no matter what my children did wrong I would never want to see something so horrible happen to them? I love my children unconditionally. Even if they were to come out as homosexuals, or wose - a jock :eek: ! I'd still love and accept my child. Even if my child disowned me, and said horrible things to me and hurt my feelings - that is MY child. I would never cast my child into a horrible place of fire to burn for all eternity. I love my child too much to make/watch them suffer.. . So since "God" obviously does not mind seeing such horrible things done or doing such things to "His" children, would that make the parent full of unconditional love more compassionate, loving, and understanding then "God"? And if so, how does this make sense? How can you then go and say "God is good"... Things like this just do not make sense to me. And I really do want to at least UNDERSTAND how one accepts this as "good" and all powerful, all loving and kind, because flooding the earth was not kind to most of "Gods children" either.
    -

Jul 16, 2007, 05:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario3
    tessy, why do christian nuns only wear black from head to toe? why can't they show their hair or their legs or their arms? why does Jesus's mom always have her hair covered?
    Mario,

I am not Catholic so I don't know... maybe allheart would like to be the better person to ask. No one really knows what Mary the mother of Jesus looks like. It was the Jewish culture back then for women to cover their heads so she probably did.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is it better that I die? [ 31 Answers ]

I have been fascinated by dead and suicide since I was very little. Before I was 8 I had already tried to die several times. I mostly tried by handing myself. But the ropes I chose weren't strong enough or I couldn't tie descend knot. Once I tried to jump out a window but someone pulled me back. I...

Can I die? Please help me someone! [ 20 Answers ]

:( Heey! I'm a 18 year old girl, that used movate cream for some month and didn't see any result so I used it up to six time or more a day. Then I accidentally got it round my mouth and lips, but I just dryed it with a towel and didn't think think much about any side effects. Then after a while a...

Am I going to die? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guyz... Please advice me... I'm really worried and desperate nowadays. I thought at first I was pregnant during my first month delay of my mentruation because in my entire life this is the first time experienced the delay on my menstuation. My boyfriend and I expecting a baby. After two...

View more questions Search