Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2007, 05:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chaplain john
    Pompous to you perhaps but he merely quotes the Bible.
    Ah, I see, as long as you can quote a verse, you get a free pass to be pompous. That may work among people who idolize the Bible, but in the larger community, it just comes off as common arrogance. You really need to come up with a wiser approach if you want to communicate effectively with people who don't already share your view of the Bible.
    Tessy777 Posts: 191, Reputation: 37
    -

Jul 13, 2007, 06:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Probably one of the most pompous statements I have ever read here. This sounds very much like you are involved in a cult.

LOL... oh NK,

Is that your "expert" opinion... well if anyone would know pompous... sorry dude, but you give me too much ammo! LOL ')

Seriously, what are we suppose to back what we believe up with? I am curious, why is quoting the bible offensive, intolerant and pompous? This is a Christainity board... I could quote from the Book of Tessy... but I KNOW you wouldn't like that any better. LOL
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2007, 08:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tessy777
    seriously, what are we suppose to back what we believe up with?
    Well, you could try well-reasoned and thoughtful discussion that doesn't denigrate others or disparage their position just because they don't accept your holy book as the last and only word.
    I am curious, why is quoting the bible offensive, intolerant and pompous?
    It isn't quoting the Bible per se that's offensive, it's the assumption that if you can find a Bible text that appears to support your point of view, everybody else is therefore compelled to accept it as God-ordained.
    This is a Christainity board....i could quote from the Book of Tessy ...but I KNOW you wouldn't like that any better.
    You seem to assume that truth has to come from a book, and the main question is WHICH book to quote.
    -

Jul 13, 2007, 08:27 AM
    Ordinaryguy,

Well as a Christian on a Christian BOARD... I quote the Bible. I believe that the Bible is INDEED absolute truth... there is NO question as to what book to quote dude. Not a one.
    From what I can tell, MAN has no original thoughts. I am not interested in what man thinks, feels, concludes or reasons.. I am interested in God. I BELIEVE that the Bible is absolute truth! Period.. so I quote it... I assume Nothing...
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2007, 08:34 AM
    Tessy, I have a test for you and everyone, I will post it when I get home. It's just a bit of fun.
    -

Jul 13, 2007, 08:36 AM
    Okie dokie dude.. why do I have a feeling I'm going to flunk it... lol
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 13, 2007, 01:15 PM
    Comments on this post
    poppa0777 disagrees: Religious "whackos"? Isn't that kind of characterization what you were just whining about?

Well Popoff! It's real easy to sit behind the safety of your computer and hurl insults at people that don't agree with you isn't it? You're one of the religious whackos Iwas referring to. Just go back and read your posts. I find no tolerance whatsoever there. I was "whining"?" Hey Turkey! It ain't me setting behing the safety of my computer spewing out insults and bible verses. For 13 years I was out on the front lines dealig with people just like you. I've been attacked, shot at, opened phony Anthrax letters and survived two bomb threats. All done by "good christians". What have you done besides run your mouth and proselytize your particular brand of religion. Yes! I'm a atheist. Is it your position that you're a better man because you thump a Bible and I don't? Hey! For 13 years I put people in jail that were exactly your caliber and felt very good about it. Whining indeed! And if you want to give me another red box go right ahead. A disagreement from you means nothing.
    poppa0777 Posts: 104, Reputation: 11

Jul 13, 2007, 02:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Comments on this post
    poppa0777 disagrees: Religious "whackos"? Isn't that kind of characterization what you were just whining about?

Well Popoff! it's real easy to sit behind the safety of your computer and hurl insults at people that don't agree with you isn't it? You're one of the religious whackos Iwas referring to. just go back and read your posts. I find no tolerance whatsoever there. I was "whining"?" Hey Turkey! It ain't me setting behing the safety of my computer spewing out insults and bible verses. For 13 years I was out on the front lines dealig with people just like you. I've been attacked, shot at, opened phony Anthrax letters and survived two bomb threats. All done by "good christians". What have you done besides run your mouth and proselytize your particular brand of religion. Yes! I'm a atheist. Is it your position that you're a better man because you thump a Bible and I don't? Hey! For 13 years i put people in jail that were exactly your caliber and felt very good about it. Whining indeed!! And if ya wanna give me another red box go right ahead. A disagreement from you means nothing.
    Dear Mr. Speedball,
    You seem to get "riled up" rather quickly. This is a Christian Forum, not a devil forum. If you're so sick of Christians, maybe I can give you a little advise (which you probably won't take... ). Post on the devil's forums. Christians aren't "door mats" for people like you. I'm curious about something, Speedball; is it your nature to get so worked up with someone who doesn't agree with you? We are not going to fight with you. Also, there you go again... just like you people... trying to "read something" between the lines that isn't there. You have miserably failed in picking a fight with me. It's much easier for all of us to see why you've had so much trouble. We are people of integrity, not murderers. Remember this one thing Speedball, God loves you, but hates your sin. We will all be praying for you to get saved. Again, if you get all worked up over something like this, I kindly suggest that you start posting with your own kind. I hide behind nothing Mr. Speedball. The Word of God is the Final Authority. No one on here is trying to shove it down your throat Pal. Just because you don't believe it doesn't change it, nor will it cool down HELL one degree.
    Please read the Bible with an open mind, and I believe you will be Enlightened like the rest of God's Church have been. It is not necessary for you to go to Hell. Christ died on the cross of Calvary so that ALL mankind could be saved. That includes YOU. I will be praying for you. Like all of the rest of us, you too need it. I'm sorry my post upset you so much.

Jul 13, 2007, 02:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ordinaryguy
    Ah, I see, as long as you can quote a verse, you get a free pass to be pompous. That may work among people who idolize the Bible, but in the larger community, it just comes off as common arrogance. You really need to come up with a wiser approach if you want to communicate effectively with people who don't already share your view of the Bible.
    ordinaryguy,
    Since the Bible is the Final Authority, and this happens to be a Christian Forum, I'm confused as to why you think quoting Scripture is pompous? As for your comment to Tessy about "coming up with a wiser approach", there has never been, nor shall there ever be, a wiser Book from which to quote. Simply quoting Scripture... how can that make her or any other person pompous? She is not stating her personal opinions... she's stating God's Word, which is HIS OPINION. If anyone has a problem with that... they should take their complaint to the Author. Tessy is only a messenger. Get it?
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2007, 02:25 PM
    This is a Christian Forum, not a devil forum.
    Post on the devil's forums.
    poppa there seems to be a theme here, and something you don't understand about atheism... atheists don't believe in the devil. So posting on the devil forum would go very much like posting on the Christianity forum.

Jul 13, 2007, 02:44 PM
    LOL...oh NK,

Is that your "expert" opinion....well if anyone would know pompous......sorry dude, but you give me too much ammo! LOL ')

seriously, what are we suppose to back what we believe up with? I am curious, why is quoting the bible offensive, intolerant and pompous? This is a Christainity board....i could quote from the Book of Tessy ...but I KNOW you wouldn't like that any better.! LOL
    Tessy, NK should check out the definition of CULT. I copied and pasted it here:
    a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents

Obviously, Christianity has absolutely nothing to do with religion. Christianity is an experience, not a denomination or religion. Chalk up one more for the Home Team.

Jul 13, 2007, 02:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    poppa there seems to be a theme here, and something you don't understand about atheism.... atheists don't believe in the devil. So posting on the devil forum would go very much like posting on the Christianity forum.
    ;) Yes, I understand that. My only point is that why would someone want to continue to post on a Christianity Forum if they are athiests. If they don't believe in God, I was just thinking they may believe in the dirty devil.:confused:
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2007, 03:11 PM
    poppa you say you understand, but then you say "they may believe in the dirty devil" which indicates you do not understand. You believe in the devil. You don't worship him, but you believe he exists. The only people who can worship the devil are people who believe he exists, and atheists do not. Atheists could have similar debates on all the religion threads on this site, as atheists reject ALL gods, not just the Christian one.

As far as posting on the Christianity forum, well... I suppose there's just the chance, the small, small chance, that one day, someone might be able to empathize with our point of view and say, "Gee. Never thought of it that way" instead of "No! The bible says so!" Many Christians are very hostile toward non-Christians, especially atheists. They think atheists have no values, no morals, no reason for living, no joy in their lives, etc. By posting on the Christian forums, we can demonstrate that for the vast majority of atheists, that simply is not true. I will not deny there are some mean atheists out there who will attack Christians, belittle them, and so forth, but those individuals are not representative of the whole. My point in posting on the Christianity threads is to hopefully expose people to a different way of thinking. It doesn't have to go against god, but if I can get a little empathy, well, I consider it a good day.
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2007, 08:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa0777
    ordinaryguy,
    Since the Bible is the Final Authority, and this happens to be a Christian Forum, I'm confused as to why you think quoting Scripture is pompous??
    Your confusion arises from the fact that your belief, "the Bible is the Final Authority", is not shared by everyone who's participating in this discussion. If we all agreed about that, we could start from that common point, but since we don't, it's not a workable starting point.
    As for your comment to Tessy about "coming up with a wiser approach"
    Actually, I made the comment to chaplain john here and a similar one to you here. My point was that if you want to communicate effectively with people who don't share your view of the Bible, you might want to find an approach that doesn't start by pummeling them with Bible texts.
    there has never been, nor shall there ever be, a wiser Book from which to quote.
    Yes, you've been very clear and consistent in stating your belief, and I accept that you do indeed believe this. Can you likewise accept that not everyone here shares this belief?
    Simply quoting Scripture..........how can that make her or any other person pompous??
    What's pompous isn't "Simply quoting Scripture". It's the attitude that if you quote a Bible text that appears to support your position, that's the end of the matter and everybody has to accept that you're right because God says so. To those who don't share your belief that the Bible is God's Word, this attitude seems pompous and arrogant. That's not so hard to understand is it? Ask yourself how you would respond to similar behavior by a Muslim quoting the Koran to show you the error of your ways. Would you be persuaded?
    She is not stating her personal opinions.....she's stating God's Word, which is HIS OPINION. If anyone has a problem with that...they should take their complaint to the Author. Tessy is only a messenger. Get it?
    Well, it IS her opinion, and yours, that the Bible is God's Word, but that belief isn't shared by all participants in this discussion. If we all agreed about that, this would be a persuasive argument, but since we don't, it isn't. Get it?
    -

Jul 13, 2007, 08:20 PM
    Ordinaryguy,

Dude... I get it! You don't think God's Word is the final authority.. ok. That is your choice... but why are you miffed at me because I do? I don't think we have ever had a discussion. I get the feeling that I offended you. Sorry. By the way.. I don't simply quote scripture, in fact, I rarely do. I guess I have had 171 posts and I bet only 5 -8 have had scripture quoted. So tell me... why are you miffed with me?

Jul 14, 2007, 04:17 AM
    Dear Mr. Speedball,
    You seem to get "riled up" rather quickly. This is a Christian Forum, not a devil forum. If you're so sick of Christians, maybe I can give you a little advise (which you probably won't take.....). Post on the devil's forums. Christians aren't "door mats" for people like you. I'm curious about something, Speedball; is it your nature to get so worked up with someone who doesn't agree with you? We are not going to fight with you. Also, there you go again...just like you people....trying to "read something" between the lines that isn't there. You have miserably failed in picking a fight with me. It's much easier for all of us to see why you've had so much trouble. We are people of integrity, not murderers. Remember this one thing Speedball, God loves you, but hates your sin. We will all be praying for you to get saved. Again, if you get all worked up over something like this, I kindly suggest that you start posting with your own kind. I hide behind nothing Mr. Speedball. The Word of God is the Final Authority. No one on here is trying to shove it down your throat Pal. Just because you don't believe it doesn't change it, nor will it cool down HELL one degree.
    Please read the Bible with an open mind, and I believe you will be Enlightened like the rest of God's Church have been. It is not necessary for you to go to Hell. Christ died on the cross of Calvary so that ALL mankind could be saved. That includes YOU. I will be praying for you. Like all of the rest of us, you too need it. I'm sorry my post upset you so much.
    :D I accept your apology too. Have a good day.:D
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2007, 05:25 AM
    I believe that the Bible is INDEED absolute truth...there is NO question as to what book to quote dude. Not a one.
    Yes, you've been quite clear about that, and I'm sure that belief serves you well when dealing with other people who share it.

From what I can tell, MAN has no original thoughts. I am not interested in what man thinks, feels, concludes or reasons..i am interested in God. I BELIEVE that the Bible is absolute truth! Period..so I quote it...I assume Nothing....
    Dudette, I get it, you BELIEVE that the Bible is absolute truth. But if you aren't interested in what anybody else has to say, why are you participating in this discussion? I think you are interested.
    Dude...i get it! you don't think God's Word is the final authority..ok. That is your choice...but why are you miffed at me because I do?
    I'm not miffed at you, or poppa or anybody else. I'm just trying to help you understand why comments like "Upon the Authority of God's Word you WILL believe one day" might come off as being pompous and arrogant to someone who doesn't share your belief about the Bible. Poppa said it to jillianleab, chaplain john backed him up, NeedKarma called it pompous, you tweaked him for it, I'm tweaking you. It's all part of the rollicking good time we have here.
    I don't think we have ever had a discussion. I get the feeling that I offended you. sorry. btw..i don't simply quote scripture, in fact, i rarely do. I guess i have had 171 posts and i bet only 5 -8 have had scripture quoted. So tell me....why are you miffed with me?
    I'm neither miffed nor offended (Well, OK, sometimes your excessive use of "Dude" irritates me a little, but I'm willing to overlook that). I just thought that since Jesus told his disciples to "teach all nations" about his message, you might want a little feedback about how your approach is working. If you're content to limit your outreach to those who already share your belief about the Bible, then I guess it's irrelevant how it goes over with the rest of the world. But that's a pretty small subset of the population of the planet.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2007, 06:35 AM
    Dude...i get it! you don't think God's Word is the final authority..ok.
    I think you miss the point here. It's not that I wouldn't accept God's word as the final authority (if there were any evidence to there being a god). It's just that I don't see any reason to accept that the bible is God's word.

(I used 'I' here because it is my own view, but I hope I convey the view of NK and ordinaryguy here also)
    -

Jul 14, 2007, 07:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ordinaryguy
    Your confusion arises from the fact that your belief, "the Bible is the Final Authority", is not shared by everyone who's participating in this discussion. If we all agreed about that, we could start from that common point, but since we don't, it's not a workable starting point.

Actually, I made the comment to chaplain john here and a similar one to you here. My point was that if you want to communicate effectively with people who don't share your view of the Bible, you might want to find an approach that doesn't start by pummeling them with Bible texts.

Yes, you've been very clear and consistent in stating your belief, and I accept that you do indeed believe this. Can you likewise accept that not everyone here shares this belief?

What's pompous isn't "Simply quoting Scripture". It's the attitude that if you quote a Bible text that appears to support your position, that's the end of the matter and everybody has to accept that you're right because God says so. To those who don't share your belief that the Bible is God's Word, this attitude seems pompous and arrogant. That's not so hard to understand is it? Ask yourself how you would respond to similar behavior by a Muslim quoting the Koran to show you the error of your ways. Would you be persuaded?

Well, it IS her opinion, and yours, that the Bible is God's Word, but that belief isn't shared by all participants in this discussion. If we all agreed about that, this would be a persuasive argument, but since we don't, it isn't. Get it?

Oridinaryguy and Cap... dudes:

We do have a good time here.. don't you think? Well, I give you some credit you at least understand more of what I am about than some. Of course, I tweaked NK.. I get his attention that way... (and he would rather die than admit it.. but he likes it.) ;)

Well, I could show you my softer more gentler side, but what fun with that be? ;)

I don't think it is pompous when the scripture is quoted. I do think wisdom is needed here. I wouldn't respond to someone who is obviously irritated with Every Knee shall bow kind of thing. I don't think I am guilty of that. Check out my posts though and feel free to correct me if I did.

I wouldn't go to a Muslim Board. I agree, anything from the Koran, I would find fault with. So I don't go there and argue my faith. But if I DID, and they quoted the Koran, I wouldn't find it pompous... I would EXPECT it. Since it is their foundation!

I have faith... that is the reason I believe. I can't give you my faith and I can't prove the Bible is true.. it is ALL about faith and it isn't my job.. that is where the Holy Spirit comes in. BUT I can make a good argument every now and again. :)
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2007, 09:55 AM
    It's not quoting the bible which is seen as pompous, it's the way the scripture is used to "show" someone they are wrong. If you want to quote the bible to support your opinion, fine. If there is a debate over what the bible says about bears killing children (sorry, I just can't get over that) use all the scripture you want. But to quote the bible or use religious rhetoric to say someone WILL do something is pompous and rude. It's similar if I said "One day you WILL realize you are wrong and you will feel silly you wasted your life praying to a false god!" That too, is a pompous and rude statement. It doesn't matter if I believe it or not, it's rude to attack someone in that manner. I'm sure if I gave any Christian on this board a disagree which said that I'd be run out of here, yet it's OK if it's done the other way around.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is it better that I die? [ 31 Answers ]

I have been fascinated by dead and suicide since I was very little. Before I was 8 I had already tried to die several times. I mostly tried by handing myself. But the ropes I chose weren't strong enough or I couldn't tie descend knot. Once I tried to jump out a window but someone pulled me back. I...

Can I die? Please help me someone! [ 20 Answers ]

:( Heey! I'm a 18 year old girl, that used movate cream for some month and didn't see any result so I used it up to six time or more a day. Then I accidentally got it round my mouth and lips, but I just dryed it with a towel and didn't think think much about any side effects. Then after a while a...

Am I going to die? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guyz... Please advice me... I'm really worried and desperate nowadays. I thought at first I was pregnant during my first month delay of my mentruation because in my entire life this is the first time experienced the delay on my menstuation. My boyfriend and I expecting a baby. After two...

View more questions Search