Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starscollide Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2007, 08:39 PM
    19 & pushy.friends girlfriend is obnoxious
    This is bugging the hell out of me. My friends girlfriend is 19, I'm 21, he's 23. We all worked together, until he quit to pursue his career. Nevertheless, he'll come in and hang out, talk to everyone he used to work with and I guess to see the girlfriend as well. A bunch of us were talking to him and the girlfriend comes over, takes his arm, & goes, "We're going to lunch." Then pulls him away. I'm 21 and I've never treated a guy I'm dating like that, and what bothers me is she pushes him around like she's the older one in the relationship. He's my friend and no-I don't have feelings for him like that, but it grates on my last nerve to see that he'll let this girl kick him around. I'm close friends with his ex-girlfriend and she treated him so much better, even he's said that. So why be with this 19 year old, clingy girl?
    huno Posts: 336, Reputation: 75

Jun 21, 2007, 08:44 PM
    Love is blind... and men can be no different than women in staying with people that are beneath them.

Or perhaps there are other virtues she has that trump her deficiencies. He must really like her and I'm sure there must be some good things about her that he chooses to emphasize over her neediness.

Or he might be comfortable, either with the relationship itself or just comfortable with being in any relationship.

There really could be any number of reasons. I have to admit, I'm quick to judge whenever I see a mismatch, but sometimes an objective opinion is needed.

Jun 21, 2007, 08:49 PM
    I don't think it's that he's all that into her, because he'll complain about her constantly. He's going to school to pursue his career following college and he had to wake up at 4 am, but she'd want to hang out late and all I'd hear about is how he's so sick of being out every night and that if he doesn't, she'll just get mad at him for it.

Also, the girlfriend before this one treated him badly. She had a drinking problem and punched him in the stomach at one point, and he said to me, "I was gonna break up with her.." and never did. Just let her treat him badly. I don't want to say this, but I feel like the girls he goes for are the ones who treat him badly, and the ones who DO treat him with respect are the ones he treats badly.

As for the 19 year old, he confided in me twice that he contacted our mutual friend twice while seeing this girl, both times about hooking up. I feel like he just likes being in a relationship for the sake of being in a relationship, regardless of if he even likes the girl. I'm worried abut him.
    huno Posts: 336, Reputation: 75

Jun 21, 2007, 09:18 PM
    Maybe he has low self-esteem? It would explain why he sticks around with abusive girls... but if it's not that, then maybe he really just wants to be in a relationship for the sake of being in one.

You sure you have no feelings for him? ;)

Jun 21, 2007, 09:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by huno
    Maybe he has low self-esteem? It would explain why he sticks around with abusive girls... but if it's not that, then maybe he really just wants to be in a relationship for the sake of being in one.

You sure you have no feelings for him? ;)
    LOL Yes, I'm sure. That was one of my fears in talking to him about it, since I'm a girl and he tends to get an inflated ego about girls liking him, he'll assume I do.
    Dennis777 Posts: 478, Reputation: 124

Jun 21, 2007, 09:27 PM
    Hello

Who knows why he lets her push him around but what I do know is if he likes her and you say anything bad about her he will turn on you. As his friend, just be there for him when his eyes open to how she really is.

Good Luck
    Dennis777

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pushy neighbor [ 7 Answers ]

I need advice on how to deal with our pushy neighbor. I basically like him and adore his wife but would like ideas on how to deal with his behavior better. Our neighbor is the type that started asking for favors at the start before he ever lived here while building his house across the street. He...

Dating & best friends [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a 48 year old woman who is dating a 41 year old guy who lives in a house with his "best friend", a woman. She knows I am dating him and he has told me that they are no longer sexual, that she is his best friend. She has a room across the hall from his. I have seen this set up, but they...

Pushy Child [ 5 Answers ]

My 8 year old daughter is in a class with a girl who bull dozes over her. My daughter is very outgoing and will speak her mind, so I'm not afraid of her being pushed around, but this other girl is causing her grief. The little girl is very mature and is easily doing work at a 3rd grade level, so...

Dale Carnegie's "Winning friends & influencing people" [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anybody out there who rates this seminal work as much as I do? I'm a company director and I'm always looking for inspiration. I was a bit doubtful about it because of its age but I now have the audio book in my car and listen to it often on the way to work to set me up for the day. I'd...

View more questions Search