Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tonytorode Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2003, 04:50 PM
    Ram
    I have an ibm aptiva 486dx2 which I am upgrading. I have added a faster cd drive and a 3 gig hard drive. I now want to put a win 98 operating system on to it, and get the message that I need at least 16 mb ram it presently has 8mb. I have bought 2 x 16 mb of edo ram chips but when I put them in I get nithing and when I replace the old chips I am able to run win 95. Have I bought the wrong chips (is there a difference) and if so is there a way around this using either the new or old chips. Thank you.
    i_love_to_listen Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2003, 06:44 PM
    ram
    Do you know what motherboard is in the computer?

Jan 10, 2003, 02:14 PM
    ram
    Thanks again for answering. As with my other reply to you I do not know the motherboard type only that the chips `look' identical and fit the slots but do not work.thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 23, 2003, 09:41 AM
    ram
    Frankly I wouldn't put any money into that machine. A 486 is ancient technology.

But you will need to find the motherboard manual or check IBM's site to determine what RAM you actually need in the system.

Jan 23, 2003, 04:05 PM
    ram
    :)thanks scott, I did finally scrap the computer, it was costing more than it was worth, but thanks again. Tont

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search