Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    insearchofhelp Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2007, 06:16 PM
    Trial set for Monday- Was misled by ATTORNEY-Wasn't expecting it this soon!
    Hi, I am hoping someone can help me. This is a LONG story so I will spare you the details. Long story short, I have been dealing with a Public Defender for about a month or so. When I was in jail for a 2nd DWI, my court date was scheduled for the `14th of June. I was about to bond out and hire a qualified DWI Attorney but was not able to do this because my Public Defender put me on an "Add on" list and my court date was moved suddenly to June 1 At 4 p.m. I was pulled out of the kitchen where I was working while in jail... the next thing I knew, I was in court with a mean judge (has a reputation for harsh sentences) who sentenced me to 2 years in prison. I didn't even have a chance to bond out and get an experienced DWI Attorney for my case because of the date being moved too soon. My Public Defender came and talked to me about filing an appeal, assuring me that she would get a jury trial and that the court date would be about three months away. I was ready to go on and serve my sentence but she insisted that we appeal. Days later, I had a new appeal bond and was released. Well, only five days later (today), my Public Defender called me and said that my new court date (trial) is on Monday, June 25. This is crazy!! I haven't even had time to prepare for my case or make arrangements (business affairs, etc) in case I have to go to prison. I talked with another person who told me that the Public Defender is rushing my case so she can get paid for her services (by the state) even though I am willing to pay her from my own pocket. I don't know what to do at this point. I was planning to meet with a DWI Attorney and was scheduled to meet with him on Wednesday of next week but now I can't do that when my court date is on MOnday. Once again, the PD put me on the Add oN list. Please tell me what to do. I feel as though a). I haven't had adequate time to prepare and get my own witnesses together and b). That I haven't had the proper amount of time to hire the right Attorney. I just don't understand how my case can be tried on Monday when there hasn't even been a jury selection, etc. I thought these things take time.
    Can I ask for a continuance on Monday and tell the Judge myself what the circumstances are- I suspect my Public Defender is going to rush into trying the case for some odd reason. I don't trust her anymore because everything she tells me turns out to be misleading. Thank you in advance for ANY much needed advice.
    wynelle Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Jun 21, 2007, 06:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by insearchofhelp
    Hi, I am hoping someone can help me. This is a LONG story so I will spare you the details. Long story short, I have been dealing with a Public Defender for about a month or so. When I was in jail for a 2nd DWI, my court date was scheduled for the `14th of June. I was about to bond out and hire a qualified DWI Attorney but was not able to do this because my Public Defender put me on an "Add on" list and my court date was moved suddenly to June 1 At 4 p.m. I was pulled out of the kitchen where I was working while in jail... the next thing I knew, I was in court with a mean judge (has a reputation for harsh sentences) who sentenced me to 2 years in prison. I didn't even have a chance to bond out and get an experienced DWI Attorney for my case because of the date being moved too soon. My Public Defender came and talked to me about filing an appeal, assuring me that she would get a jury trial and that the court date would be about three months away. I was ready to go on and serve my sentence but she insisted that we appeal. Days later, I had a new appeal bond and was released. Well, only five days later (today), my Public Defender called me and said that my new court date (trial) is on Monday, June 25. This is crazy!!! I haven't even had time to prepare for my case or make arrangements (business affairs, etc) in case I have to go to prison. I talked with another person who told me that the Public Defender is rushing my case so she can get paid for her services (by the state) even though I am willing to pay her from my own pocket. I don't know what to do at this point. I was planning to meet with a DWI Attorney and was scheduled to meet with him on Wednesday of next week but now I can't do that when my court date is on MOnday. Once again, the PD put me on the Add oN list. Please tell me what to do. I feel as though a). I haven't had adequate time to prepare and get my own witnesses together and b). that I haven't had the proper amount of time to hire the right Attorney. I just don't understand how my case can be tried on Monday when there hasn't even been a jury selection, etc. I thought these things take time.
    Can I ask for a continuance on Monday and tell the Judge myself what the circumstances are- I suspect my Public Defender is going to rush into trying the case for some odd reason. I don't trust her anymore because everything she tells me turns out to be misleading. Thank you in advance for ANY much needed advice.
    So, why didn't you call a qualified DWI attorney from jail? My brother was in jail over a weekend a few years ago on a DWI charge, and had multiple letters from various attorneys by Wednesday the next week. You've had over a month. However, there is no reason why you can't meet with the DWI attorney, and have him show up and request the continuance.

Unfortunately, some people want a speedy trial, some people want to delay as long a possible hoping the charges will be reduced or dropped.
    insearchofhelp Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2007, 07:52 PM
    I was told that I could only call collect and I wasn't aware that I could contact an Attorney from jail, calling collect. How did your brother do that?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 21, 2007, 08:04 PM
    You had a lot of rights, you merely failed to use them, First your attorney when told by you, should have asked for the case to be continued till you can hire your own attorney, you could have notified the court that you were firing your attorney and needed time.

You have the right to a jury trial, but gave away that right to have the case heard. At some point and time, you were asked or signed to have the trial before the judge.

I doubt you have must area for asking for an appeal, unless you can prove your attorney did a bad job. Merely wanting to do things different is not grounds, ( if that was everyone that loses would do that.

Also why did you not bail out /
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2007, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by insearchofhelp
    Can I ask for a continuance on Monday and tell the Judge myself what the circumstances are
    Hello in:

Of course you can - and you'd BETTER. It's time for you to TAKE charge of your case! You haven't so far.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card debt set for trial [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was served papers on an old credit card debt, he is on social security disability, he went to court for this and was given a trial date. What happens at this trial? We live in Illinois can any one tell me what to expect next, with it being set for trial. The credit card debt was not...

Am I expecting? [ 1 Answers ]

I have had a 2 day period, right on time, but strange symptoms before this, like headaches, nausea and fatigue- did 2 tests and they were negative. Is it possible to be pregnant and still have a period?

Could I be expecting twins [ 3 Answers ]

If the implantation bleeding takes more than 15 days could it mean that I'm expecting twins, or is just not normal to go for that long, I waiting for the bleeding to end before I can take a pregnancy test.

Credit card debt, trial set [ 4 Answers ]

I went to court today ,citi bank is suing me for 12,000. My credit limit was only 5000. I have not been abel to pay in 5 years. I live in ky but I had to go to tn for court. The attorney said that they could sue my husband even though he was not on the card and his social was not used only my name...

View more questions Search