Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    medicalresearch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2007, 02:30 PM
    Mental health
    Hopefully you can help me ,I feel as those I'm going crazy I have been diagnosed as being schozophrenia. I don't believe it ,so I do all kinds of research for other causes of my many ailments. I believe that I have some kind of parasite living in me , I had had many blood tests done and fecal tests all normal . I have also been to an infectious disease doctor but she said I was fine no elevation of any kind. I still don't believe it. I have memory loss I'm frustrated with my family and I accuse them of not helping me. I have been to 2 neurologist,s they say to take my antiphychotic meds but I won't because they give me side effects. I won't listen to anybody about meds I think I know what is wrong and I keeping on driving my family crazy everyday.I' m getting more violent physically , I don't shower and I stink. I break things all the time. I forget that I'm cooking things and burn food .please help me find an answer.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2007, 02:35 PM
    There is not much of an answer for someone who refuses to take the medication as prescribed. Right now you are a danger to yourself and possibly anyone else in your environment. Sorry, but that is the honest truth.

You need to be hospitalized. Either by your own will, or if you continue being violent and offense, there will be someone who get you committed.

Get back to your doctors and do as they direct. You cannot beat this on your own. It is real and serious, very serious.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 21, 2007, 02:36 PM
    I hate to be on the side of your doctors here, but what you are describing are VERY typical schizophrenic tendencies, including the fear of "parasites."

I understand your fear of medications and truthfully they are not unfounded. Non-compliance is a common thread among people with this disorder. However, the side effects do lessen as time goes on. You have to give them a chance to work.

You say you are becoming violent. Let me warn you that if this continues, and I don't know exactly where you are, but there is a great likelihood of permanent placement in a psychiatric hospital.

With schizophrenia meds are not an option.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 28, 2007, 07:03 PM
    medicalresearch agrees: I found your advice helpful and hopefully I can start to do what I'm supposed to.
    I hope you can too. Just remember that the side effects of the meds go away with time.

I spent some time this past spring at a State Mental Hospital with some people who have schizophrenia. They were all there for life as they were deemed Not Guilty By Reason of Insanity because of crimes they committed while they were not on medication.

As I plan on making mental health my specialty upon graduation, I would be very interested in talking to you.
    simian Posts: 43, Reputation: 4

Jun 28, 2007, 07:28 PM
    I agree with the previous posts- you have described some very typical behaviors for someone who has schizophrenia. I have worked with people with schizophrenia, and while it is a difficult thing to live with (for you and for your loved ones), please do not feel there is no hope. With proper medication and support (counseling, vocational support, case management, in-home support, etc.) it really IS possible for you to function well. However the key is, you MUST take your medication! If you have concerns about side effects, talk to your doctor. He or she will work with you to find the right dose (which may require a hospital stay for observation) and monitor you to make sure things are working as they should.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mental health (dreams) [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, my boyfriend has a problem with dreams. I want to help him. For now all I need to know is what exactly dreaming with water or floating on waters means? This is a constant dream, actually a nightmare. He has also dream with fire, him burning in fire. And other times, him floating on air. ...

Mental Health [ 3 Answers ]

What causes teenage depression?

Can mental health ru in family [ 6 Answers ]

My Ex keeps breaking up with me 6 times in 4.5 years and last 2-3 months. Her mom has mental problems and takes medication. When she is off medication she is wacko, thinks people are after her etc. My question is what % rate would it be that her daughter my ex would start to get symptoms of mental...

I need serious mental health [ 10 Answers ]

Before I get started I just want to say I'm not a pervert or sick in the head, I'm 20 and I'm starting to have feelings for a 13 year old, I'm just wondering how much pychiatric help I need because this shouln't be happening because it is very wrong Thanks

Mental and Emotional Health [ 3 Answers ]

We have just found out that my sister is suffering from this problem. She is 43 years old and a divorcée. This is causing a lot of emotional and mental problem at home. We have to be alert all the time. Our family members have stopped visiting us as they are scared she would steal their stuff...

View more questions Search