Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Jun 15, 2005, 06:14 PM
    Rose bush
    Any suggestions on how and where I should plant my rose bush? I was going to take out a current bush and replace it with that in the front where there is usually lots of sun. I bought it before it started blooming and I haven't had a chance to plant it yet. Also I found info on the web about waiting until it starts to bloom before taking it out of the plastic container. What kind of food should I give it because I think I may be killing it. Thoughts?
    moongrl Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2005, 10:03 AM
    Where to plant rose bush
    Hi there, when deciding where to locate a rose there a few things to keep in mind. Of course it needs full sun 6-8 hours a day, a heavy but well drained humus rich loam to grow in, a spot where it can grow and not become crowded by other plants or structures, and it should also be located in an area where it will not receive direct wind. Roses are known for there disease and pest problems, and can sometimes look rather unsightly. When choosing a place for your plant keep in mind its susceptibility to these problems, and keep in mind if this will be a factor with your overall landscape aesthetics. For instance if you are planning to use your rose as a specimen it would be advisable to use a rose which is disease and pest resistant. These varieties are available and can be found with little research. However if you are using a plant that you already have, you can research its tolerance first before deciding where to place it. I would be more than happy to help with this step as well if need be. As for keeping a plant in a container for its entire growing season this is not an unusual thing. Because I work in a plant nursery I see it every day. The most important things for plants which are going to be spending a lot of time in a container are moisture and nutrients. When a plant is in a container it does not have the ability to acquire and retain moisture like a planted one. Also, nutrients will leach from the soil, and will not be replaced unless done so by you. Well long story short, as long as you have kept the rose well watered while it was in its container, it should be fine once it is planted. Once you decide where to put it, be sure to water it well, possibly twice a day if the weather requires it. Be sure to add lots of organics to the soil (well composted manure) when planting, this will give the plant immediate nutrients and you don't have to worry about burning the roots with store bought plant foods. Be sure to mulch above the graph when putting it to bed for the winter. Hope this has helped some, please ask me if you have any other ?'s or if you need some clarification... keep on growin'
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Aug 17, 2005, 10:40 AM
    Thanks for the reply. I got so busy I never got a chance to plant yet... still. Unfortunately, I have to worry about the inside before the out right now. We moved intoour house 4 months ago and have to children (1 is almost 2 and the other 6 months) so it is hard to complete projects. I figured I would either try it with this one when I get the chance or just buy another one. What you have given me was very informative and should be all I need. I have removed the bush which sounds like a good spot to put it. It will be exposed to the sun and I shouldn't have any problems watering it. A question I do have is pine bark OK to use for the winter instead of mulch? I plan on using mulch next summer anyway but pine bark is already down and they left some in the shed for me. I will post other questions onthis or other ones in the future hoping your still around to answer them. Thanks again.
    moongrl Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2005, 11:07 AM
    Rose bush
    Hi again... sure pine bark is fine, just be sure to cover that all important graft. You can remove the bark below the graft in the spring after the last frost. I will look forward to your future questions... and keep on growin'

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paul's Scarlet Rose [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a US source for this plant?:)

Desert Rose [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Desert Rose that I kept inside all winter. It has some little bugs-aphids-I think. What can I do to get rid of them. I know the plant does not like its leaves to be wet. Also, what is the best food for this plant and how often? Thanks, Sue

Dessert rose in need of your help [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dessert rose tree which is about 10 years old. For the last 5 it flourished beyond my imagination. This year it is acting like it is dying. The leaves are falling off and the limbs are very puny looking at the ends. I'm in Florida, and have given it plant food-- same kind for many years....

View more questions Search