Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    atlmiss Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2007, 12:40 PM
    Appeal in Civil Court-can they levy accounts while pending
    I asked this in another post but it got buried in between my other questions...

If I receive a judgment against me in civil court, and appeal that same day, is the collection agency able to immediately levy my bank accounts, even while the case is under appeal?

I am terrified of my bank accounts being frozen, maybe I am panicked but should I pull out my money and stop direct deposit before the trial... in case of worst scenario?

Thanks for your advice in advance! Everyone here has been of great help!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 21, 2007, 12:52 PM
    Unless the judge issues an injunction pending appeal, they can exercise the judgement to attach your assets while the appeal is pending so it would make sense to clean out your accounts.

Jun 21, 2007, 01:20 PM
    Do you happen to know how long it can take to levy a bank account-is it something they can do immediately that day? (my trial is at 1:30 pm). How do they find bank accounts so quickly?

Oh I hope it doesn't become an issue as I am out of the country the last half of July and really need to have access to my bank account and salary!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2007, 03:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by atlmiss
    Do you happen to know how long it can take to levy a bank account-is it something they can do immediately that day? out of the country the last half of July and really need to have access to my bank account and salary!!
    Hello a:

They can do it the same day. They'll surely have it done by July.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 21, 2007, 04:36 PM
    First that have to find your assets. They may already have the info or they may first try to find it after getting a judgement. They must then get a court oirder from the court and finally they need to serve it on the bank. The latter two steps would only take a couple of days.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2007, 04:38 PM
    Take the funds out now.

Jun 21, 2007, 05:28 PM
    Thanks everyone! Wow that's fast-

I just realized my post might have been confusing-the trial isn't until July 12 at 1:30pm, so I still have a little time.

Hopefully it goes in my favor, and this doesn't become an issue, but I want to be prepared just in case... you can never be too safe!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fathers visits were cancelled pending dads return to court [ 2 Answers ]

I am wondering, if anyone has any answers that can help. If a fathers visitations were stopped PENDING dad coming back to court,( dad was the one that requested the order to begin with to get MORE visitations/custody with his daughter),( but was unable to make it to court) AND if dad was...

Probation court case pending [ 6 Answers ]

There is suppose to be a hearing on the east coast, about the validity Of probation on cases where probation is not mentioned in the charges. Is this case really in the court?

Credit card civil court [ 3 Answers ]

Collection agency has sent letter for a debt, but pursuant to WV code the statue of limitations has expired since last contact. Can the collecection agency coleect the debt with all late fees, over the limit fees and interest?

Civil court [ 4 Answers ]

What could this be about and how bad is it?

Levy on bank accounts [ 1 Answers ]

I had a credit card company place a levy on my checking and savings accounts. They also tried to garnish my wages. I am making regular monthly payments to them through a local law enforcement office. I requested to them since I am making payments they lift the levy. They refused. The savings...

View more questions Search