Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    danaragones Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2007, 11:30 AM
    1994 MGM, Parking lights and side marker lights not working?
    MY parking lights and side marker lights are not working, also my gauge lights are not working.
    When I press the brakes, all my lights work, my headlights also work and my turn signals and hazard lights turn on, but my inside gauge lights, side marker lights, and parking lights are not on.
    What could be the problem?
    I have already checked my fuses and they are all still good.
    And my bulbs are still good because how can they still work while I press the brakes, and use my signals and hazard lights.
    Can somebody please tell me the problem before I take it to the shop?! Thanks!:confused:
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2007, 11:49 AM
    Power to those lights come from headlight switch. Maybe headlight switch?

Jun 24, 2007, 08:52 AM
    The mechanic says it's the "headlight module", could that be the problem, or check the headlight switch first, then another place said it might be the headlight relay, what are the difference?
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2007, 09:54 AM
    If vehicle has both, remove easiest one first, Measure voltage on all pins(looking for 12 volts)Now, Get access to wire at parking light, and hook jumper between Parking lite wire and battery(fused would be safer.) Now look for voltage. Tone generator would help trace out.

The common headlight relay uses a momentary connection with ground, to mechanically latch a Relay(High Low High Low etc.)Low goes to low beam, and high goes to hi beam,
    And indicator. Not thinking Headlight Relay. Do you have high and low beam?

Maybe head light switch, module, or unfound fuse.

Jun 25, 2007, 08:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    If vehicle has both, remove easiest one first, Measure voltage on all pins(looking for 12 volts)Now, Get access to wire at parking light, and hook jumper between Parking lite wire and battery(fused would be safer.) Now look for voltage. Tone generator would help trace out.

The common headlight relay uses a momentary connection with ground, to mechanically latch a Relay(High Low High Low etc.)Low goes to low beam, and high goes to hi beam,
    and indicator. Not thinking Headlight Relay. Do you have high and low beam?

Maybe head light switch, module, or unfound fuse.

I replaced the headlight switch with a brand new one yesterday, and the module there is none, Mercury started making them on 1995+ models, and all fuses all good.

The only thing I noticed is there is something that burnt on one of the connectors that connects the headlight switch, its like a light brown/white stripe wire, is it possible for a wire to not work if there is burn marks on the connector?
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2007, 09:29 AM
    Apply voltage to wire of parking lite, then go to light brown/ white stripe wire and see if it has voltage. May need to put needle into wire, check for voltage, then at connector,on wire.
    Loose connections generate heat, may have burned open at connector.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parking lights [ 1 Answers ]

Where is the parking light wire located and what color is it in a 2000 Honda Civic?

Lights not working [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Recently my outside porch light, bathroom light, and bathroom outlet quit "working". They don't work even though none of my breakers tripped and I'm detecting current in the wires (regarding the lights, I tried new bulbs and they still don't work). The bathroom outlet is a GFCI, but...

3 lights ran between 2 3-ways, can one of these lights be controlled by a 3rd switch? [ 2 Answers ]

There are 3 lights connected, 2 in one room and the third at the bottom of the stairs. There is a 3-way at the top of the stairs and another in the room with the 2 lights. This guy would like to also be able to switch off just the 3rd light at the bottom of the stairs. I did not dig into this too...

View more questions Search