Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LennySun Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2007, 08:46 AM
    NO SOUND, Audio Drivers Missing or Corrupt
    NO SOUND, Audio Drivers Missing or Corrupt

All five of the device drivers under my Device Manager "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" category show yellow encased exclamination marks, but I'm only concerned about the audio ones for the moment since I've had no sound for a couple of weeks. (Don't ask.)

One of two audio drivers is listed under the above referenced category as a "Legacy Audio Driver" and the other is a "Multimedia Audio Controller."

(The three remaining ones are Legacy Video Capture Devices, Media Control Devices and Video Codecs if your are interested.)

The properties tabs of each driver describe these conditions:

LEGACY~"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be
    corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

MULTIMEDIA~"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28). To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver."

The Microsoft Help and Support Troubleshooting lead advises me to uninstall and reinstall the LEGACY driver but following the instructions does not reflect the process described by the instructions.

MY PC Doctor says that the device driver for my MULTIMEDIA AUDIO CONTROLLER sound card "is not installed or installed incorrectly." I tried downloading the SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio driver but the dialogue box said that it "has not passed Windows Logo testing--hardware will not be installed." I changed a setting to just give me a warning but the Microsoft warning was so strong it scared the living bejesus out of me, and of course I cancelled the download. (Driver Signing was moved from "block" to "warning.") Another analytical review told me that the Audio Controller is misconfigured but I can't recall the source.

I had all my drivers analyzed by DriverAgent. It identified the MULTIMEDIA AUDIO CONTROLLER as poss and downloaded one audio file listed as "incomplete detection," a yellow exclamation mark. DriverAgents suggests I download a Realtex AC'97 Audio file named "WDM_A399.exe" dated "2007.03.08" version 5.10.0.6230 storing 17.4 MiB. I downloaded that item but--I think--it also had the Microsoft Logo testing warning and stopped me too. No mention of the LEGACY driver in the DriverAgent analysis table.

I am running XP Home, SP2 on an IBM desktop. A review of the IBM-Lennovo site appears to say there are two updates that would fit my audio configuration so I am unsure what drivers came with the preloaded software. Their list shows two audio drivers, both updated Dec. 15, 2005. One is an ADI SoundMAX onboard audio driver and the other is a "ADI SoundMAX onboard audio driver with Cadenza software".

After looking at some of your earlier posts on missing sound, it "sounds" like I should be downloading the two Lennove drivers. My insecurity of where to go is drived by all of the apparent inconsistencies I am experience between the various companies. All of this is foreign to me. However, your earlier posts seem to indicate that the manufactures supplied drivers are the preferred way to correct, or attempt to restore my sound. But I need to be sure.

One before-the-final question. When downloading a driver update, do I have to uninstall the old driver before the download?

Where do I go from here? What is the best procedure to follow?
    imadork8317 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2009, 07:58 AM
    I had this same problem try the following solution

Go to Start

Click Run

Type regedit

go to the following location

\hkey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\contr ol\class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

delete any values that have upperfilters or lowerfilters

restart

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Audio drivers un-installing themselves [ 10 Answers ]

:confused: hi, I'm running xp home.the drivers for the audio keep on uninstalling themselves. I re-instal them and the audio works fine until maybe a few minutes after a re-start then they disapears again.please help.

WindowsXP: ntoskral.exe is missing or corrupt :( [ 2 Answers ]

When I try to boot my laptop (Acer) I get black screen with text only: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows Root>\system32\ntoskral.exe. Please re=install a copy of the above file. http://www.lunarforums.com/forum/Smileys/default/crying.gif :mad:...

Missing Multimedia Audio Controller Drivers [ 1 Answers ]

Good day, I had formatted and reinstalled my windows xp and all is fine except my audio controller. I have for sound card Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital. The problem is wheneever I try to install the drivers for it the installer says I have no sound blaster card. Any feedback would be appreciated...

Missing multimedia audio controller drivers [ 3 Answers ]

Hi experts I recently reinstalled windows xp. Under devise manager I have the yellow? Flag on the "multimedia audio controller" under "other devises." I have tried to reinstall the driver by clicking on the yellow item, but that has not worked. I have gone to dell to download drivers...

View more questions Search